Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best DSL Broadband Only Deal?

Options
  • 15-06-2009 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

The house I'm living in already has an Eircom phone line paid for by someone else and they're not leaving Eircom.
    I have the option of getting broadband on this line without paying any line rental.

So I'm looking for a DSL broadband only deal.

My budget is about 25euro a month.

As far as I can see a lot of providers seem to require you to take a package of phone and broadband with them which is no use to me.

Broadband only deals I've seen so far:

Imagine 3MB €25.10 20GB cap

Eircom 3MB €30.11 30GB Cap
    Eircom 1MB €25.09 10GB Cap

BT 3MB €32.63 30GB cap
    BT 1MB €22.59 10GB cap

It seems like Imagine could be the best option.

I'm wondering if others have any recommendations. Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

explode wrote: »
    The house I'm living in already has an Eircom phone line paid for by someone else and they're not leaving Eircom.
    I have the option of getting broadband on this line without paying any line rental.

So I'm looking for a DSL broadband only deal.

My budget is about 25euro a month.

As far as I can see a lot of providers seem to require you to take a package of phone and broadband with them which is no use to me.

Broadband only deals I've seen so far:

Imagine 3MB €25.10 20GB cap

Eircom 3MB €30.11 30GB Cap
    Eircom 1MB €25.09 10GB Cap

BT 3MB €32.63 30GB cap
    BT 1MB €22.59 10GB cap

It seems like Imagine could be the best option.

I'm wondering if others have any recommendations. Thanks

I honestly dont know of any DSL where one does not have to pay line rental in some shape or form. Are you sure you want to limit your search to €25?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

All of the providers who can come in over Bitstream will offer broadband separate from your voice service so you could have your voice calls from eircom & broadband from BT for example.

What about Smart Telecom's bitstream product:

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential_offnet/residential_offnet_compare.aspx

They also offer a DSL only package, but you have to be on one of their exchanges...and it wouldn't suit your situation anyway:

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/compare.aspx

Rory - here's a second one who doesn't need voice services! :D

Dardania wrote: »
    All of the providers who can come in over Bitstream will offer broadband separate from your voice service so you could have your voice calls from eircom & broadband from BT for example.

What about Smart Telecom's bitstream product:

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential_offnet/residential_offnet_compare.aspx

They also offer a DSL only package, but you have to be on one of their exchanges...and it wouldn't suit your situation anyway:

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/compare.aspx

Rory - here's a second one who doesn't need voice services! :D

I totally missed the bit where he said about the line already in place....ok yeah, you have lots of choice there. Most telecom companies will offer line share packs but it has to be said the best deals are made when combining the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Will an ISP allow Person B to get broadband in their name, on a line that's in the name of Person A? I know you can have line rental with one company and broadband with another, but can they be in two different names? I ask because when you apply for broadband only, you'd have to give the details of the phone line account holder, which could raise data protection issues due to being in someone else's name.

Perhaps one of the ISP employees that post here could clarify?

jor el wrote: »
    Will an ISP allow Person B to get broadband in their name, on a line that's in the name of Person A? I know you can have line rental with one company and broadband with another, but can they be in two different names? I ask because when you apply for broadband only, you'd have to give the details of the phone line account holder, which could raise data protection issues due to being in someone else's name.

Perhaps one of the ISP employees that post here could clarify?

Dont know the full policy on this but I dont think it would be the best idea (personally) considering if the phone line user stops paying or wishes to cancel it places the service in a precarious situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement