Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia 8500 GT overheating

Options
  • 15-06-2009 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Just like it says in the title. It's crashing the PC whenever I play a game for more than a few minutes.. The card fan is practically seized (it'll work at half speed for a bit), and due to unemployment I can't afford to replace the card. I've hoovered the dust out of the card but that's the best I can do. Any very cheap (under €20) suggestions? Should I bother jamming another fan in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I reckon the only thing you'll get for under €20 would be one of the PCI slot fans which I doubt will up to very much and I think they're usually used as a supplement to a working VGA heatsink fan. You'll probably need something along the lines of this. You should check the Zalman website to make sure that it's comaptible with your GPU.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If your 8500GT has a bulky exposed-metal cooler then you might be able to improve things by making sure a case fan blows onto it if you can mount one on the side of your case next to it. If its one of those tiny little plastic things with a teeny 30-40mm fan then you're in trouble. Slot coolers are really designed to help vent hot air faster from the area and are more often a hinderance if put very near a graphics card with an exposed fan, as the card's heatsink is designed specifically for the fan to blow air over the metal heatsink, and it can't do that very effectively if a slot cooler's fan is fighting it for the air it needs!

If you can wait, get a cheapo replacement HSF from DealExtreme for something like €3-7 and expect a long wait. If you can't then expect to pay 5 times the price for a branded one online. Obviously a better solution is to get something better than a PoS 8500GT, but that would involve saving a few more pennies - quite a few more. The cheapest reasonable upgrade would be a HD4650 (any, but ironically its the GDDR3 version that's now cheaper :)) which can be had under €47 on Pixmania. It's still a bit more than €20, mind, but it's one hell of a better bet than blowing €15-35 on a dodgy fan for an exceedingly dodgy card :rolleyes:

Advertisement