Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3-4k to spend

• 15-06-2009 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a new car. Currently have a 97 polo and want something a little bigger but not too big. I was really shocked at some of my insurance quotes on a golf, audi a3 and opel astra. They are only a bit more than my polo so i'm gonna get a loan an splash out on something a bit newer and faster.

Unfortunately most of the above cars are really expensive and i'm finding it hard to find anything in my price range that is around 00, 01 or 02 or higher :p

Maybe you guys can suggest other cars that are out there which are also cheap on insurance. I'm hoping to get a dealer to take the polo of my hands as a trade in but it's not necessary as i'll try and give it to someone for a bargain if needs be.

Please help,i've searched all day and can't find any other cars i like.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Dean09 wrote: »

Nicely priced but i dunno, it's not really to my taste. i prefer the primera but they're too big :(

bazz26 wrote: »

You really like silver cars:p

Ford focus, never was a big fan. They are pretty reliable though. Would have to check insurance.

Mazda are pretty nice, must check out insurance on those.

Peugeot, i've always liked but people always tell me off when i think about buying a french car because of their reliability.

Seat looks nice but i'd prefer a golf.

Hmm, nothing really caught my eye over an audi a3 or golf yet. Opel astra look like nice cars too. I'd be worried about the expense of repairs on an audi though so i'm swinging towards a Golf over anything else atm. I hate that they're so popular and thus overpriced though.:( Maybe i'll check up north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

jaffa20 wrote: »

Hmm, nothing really caught my eye over an audi a3 or golf yet. Opel astra look like nice cars too. I'd be worried about the expense of repairs on an audi though so i'm swinging towards a Golf over anything else atm. I hate that they're so popular and thus overpriced though.:( Maybe i'll check up north.

If you like the golf, go for it. Or you could also consider this: Nice

Opps sorry, thats mine:D

What about the Skoda Octavia
    Nice power, great on mileage, plenty of space for golf clubs and chicks in the back too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

jaffa20 wrote: »
    You really like silver cars:p

Ford focus, never was a big fan. They are pretty reliable though. Would have to check insurance.

Mazda are pretty nice, must check out insurance on those.

Peugeot, i've always liked but people always tell me off when i think about buying a french car because of their reliability.

You do know that the Golf and A3 are the same car underneath? The only difference really is that the A3 didn't come in 1.4 litre back then which is a godsend really considering the 1.4 litre VAG engine is pure rubbish. There are alot of well documented reliability issues with that engine including piston slap and excessive oil use, so if your going to rule out a Peugeot 306 based on reliability then you might aswell add the Golf to that list too.

BTW the 306 was probably one of Peugeot's most reliable cars of the 1990s. It was great to drive too.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You do know that the Golf and A3 are the same car underneath? The only difference really is that the A3 didn't come in 1.4 litre back then which is a godsend really considering the 1.4 litre VAG engine is pure rubbish. There are alot of well documented reliability issues with that engine including piston slap and excessive oil use, so if your going to rule out a Peugeot 306 based on reliability then you might aswell add the Golf to that list too.

BTW the 306 was probably one of Peugeot's most reliable cars of the 1990s. It was great to drive too.

i see where you are coming from. I was talking to my friend who knows a bit about cars. He was saying that old golfs with high mileage can cause a lot of problems. I guess there is a risk with any car.There is about 200euro difference in the insurance on an audi a3 and a golf and i do love both.

Peugeot cars look nice and you could get a really young one for a good price compared to the audi but if i hold out i'm sure i'll find an audi a3 or golf for a good price. It's a buyers market, yipee :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Me ? I'd have something like this: http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=3058031

That 'unreliable' french thing is bogus - that 1.4 16v Renault engine is known for both it's longevity, and power (95bhp).

I had that car out the other day (got a lift in it), and it's remarkably well preserved. 1 owner from new, btw, and it comes with a warranty.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭budhabob

galwaytt wrote: »
    Me ? I'd have something like this: http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=3058031

That 'unreliable' french thing is bogus - that 1.4 16v Renault engine is known for both it's longevity, and power (95bhp).

I had that car out the other day (got a lift in it), and it's remarkably well preserved. 1 owner from new, btw, and it comes with a warranty.

good to hear on the renault, as i'm also looking into upgrading soon, with roughly the same budget. I currently drive a 97 mondeo, which has done me well for the last 4-5 years, service it myself, only collapsed on me once.

So while looking around, i would like ot go diesel, and roughly the same size for comfort, and the car which seems to hold its value the least is the laguna ie good for someone buying a car at a low cost with the idea of driving it til it stops (similar to what i did with the mondeo). What are the diesel renault engines for reliabilty etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

budhabob wrote: »
    So while looking around, i would like ot go diesel, and roughly the same size for comfort, and the car which seems to hold its value the least is the laguna ie good for someone buying a car at a low cost with the idea of driving it til it stops (similar to what i did with the mondeo). What are the diesel renault engines for reliabilty etc?

Lagunas are cars that a lot of people drive until they drop...usually takes a week or two tops:D

*runs for cover*

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    Lagunas are cars that a lot of people drive until they drop...usually takes a week or two tops:D

*runs for cover*

Hehe, nice! but in all honesty, is there a genuine opinion in your comment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

the engines are very good. its the same in all diesel cars today. the only minor thing is that the electronics can be dodgy in some cars. you cant beat the comfort of the french. personally i would chose a peugeot/citroen diesel over the renault. still the same depreciation which is good for you but a bullet proof engine and much more reliable than the renault. look at the citroen c5 hdi and the peugeot 406 hdi

the engines are very good. its the same in all diesel cars today. the only minor thing is that the electronics can be dodgy in some cars. you cant beat the comfort of the french. personally i would chose a peugeot/citroen diesel over the renault. still the same depreciation which is good for you but a bullet proof engine and much more reliable than the renault. look at the citroen c5 hdi and the peugeot 406 hdi

will do, nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

budhabob wrote: »
    Hehe, nice! but in all honesty, is there a genuine opinion in your comment?

Afraid so. Good mechanically really but the electrics can be a mine field

EPM wrote: »
    Afraid so. Good mechanically really but the electrics can be a mine field

ah right, crap. what kind of electric problems do they pose generally? Enough to have to leave the car or just annoyances?

And Jaffa, Apologies for hijacking your thread so to speak.

Advertisement