Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is bigger, 22-250 or 220swift.

Options
  • 15-06-2009 6:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

It seems to me that most books and charts naturally place the 220swift ahead of the 22-250 in term of general power.

I know that you have to take into consideration the bullet weight and type but if both take .224dia rounds then the one with the largest chamber size must be simply bigger!

If it is bigger that how much bigger is it and is it because the case can hold more powder!

Point of view welcome!

Regards Ivanthecurious

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

bigger how exactly?? what do you mean by bigger?, I think what you mean
    is similar to .357 and .38 they are both the same diameter round however
    completely differnet in terms of velocity/energy!

If you are asking does one have a larger case capacity you have answered your own question and the thread is moot!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Just had a look at the two there! ah the cases are very similiar, 22-250 seems a tad fatter (f all though) whereas the swift is a longer case than the 22-250. the point on the swift where the shoulder meets the neck is about 7/8mm higher than the same spot on the 22-250.
    My ballistical knowledge wouldnt be the best but as you say its supposed to be ahead of 22250.

POV - from exp the swift is great round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Didn't we do this before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Mr Flibble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

The swift is bigger Ivan, as the above chart will show but the 22-250 is a more efficient case. Based on figures from the Hornady reloading manual for example, The 220 swift firing a 50 grain v max bullet will require 36.5 grains of Varget to produce enough pressure to attain 3700 ft/sec, whereas the 22-250 will achieve the same results with 35.5 grains.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

The swift is bigger Ivan, as the above chart will show but the 22-250 is a more efficient case. Based on figures from the Hornady reloading manual for example, The 220 swift firing a 50 grain v max bullet will require 36.5 grains of Varget to produce enough pressure to attain 3700 ft/sec, whereas the 22-250 will achieve the same results with 35.5 grains.

An intriguing answer!
    efficiency is something that i have not considered! Is this something to do with the angle of the cartridge shoulder? And if so there are newer designs on the original swift with different shoulders- do these increase efficiency too!

PS BS. YES- We touched on this subject before but already this new post has yielded some very nice information!:).. I don't think we discussed why such differences exist.

Mr Flibble wrote: »

Welcome Mr Fibble, hope your here!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Short powder columns with increased case capacity and sharp shoulders are more efficient. Look at the WSM series and the Ackley improvements for illustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Ah yes, this old chestnut again.:)

I think the biggest difference between these two excellent rounds is legislation and history :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

in my area you can change your 22lr licence (one off, one on)to the swift,but for the 22-250 you have to re apply from scrach.

• Advertisement

paddy2008 wrote: »
    in my area you can change your 22lr licence (one off, one on)to the swift,but for the 22-250 you have to re apply from scrach.

Same all over this country.

The powers that be pigeon holed the 22-250 as a Deer Calibre

The swift on the other hand has always been under the radar and long may it last. its quite possible that it could be the only centerfire calibre any of us possess in a few years.

whats the best price can u get swift lead for?
    rem hp 29e,horndy v max 36e can savings be made any wear?

whats the best price can u get swift lead for?
    rem hp 29e,horndy v max 36e can savings be made any wear?

I alway used Federal 52gr HPBT at 36euro, but that will be no more cos i have burnt out the barrel after many years of use.:(

I'm re barreling to 260 Remington soon hopefully.:)

best of luck with that:D

best of luck with that:D

I'll need all the luck i can get, or maybe just a boat load of cash would do the trick:D

Federal 52 grain are best out there :)

Federal 52 grain are best out there :)

How are you getting along with that new remy? doing much damage?

Hezz700 wrote: »
    How are you getting along with that new remy? doing much damage?

Shortly, usually start my annual fox shooting in August :cool: She is a sweet shooter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

It seems to me that most books and charts naturally place the 220swift ahead of the 22-250 in term of general power.

I know that you have to take into consideration the bullet weight and type but if both take .224dia rounds then the one with the largest chamber size must be simply bigger!

If it is bigger that how much bigger is it and is it because the case can hold more powder!

Point of view welcome!

Regards Ivanthecurious

Ivan here is a couple interesting links where this is discussed in some detail.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=75

http://longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/220-swift-vs-22-250-varmints-opinions-please-4856/

Could you please comment after reading it.

Sikamick

Sikamick wrote: »

Ivan here is a couple interesting links where this is discussed in some detail.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=75

http://longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/220-swift-vs-22-250-varmints-opinions-please-4856/

Could you please comment after reading it.

Sikamick

Great stuff thanks SMick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭HUBERTUS

The .220 Swift has about 200 foot-pounds more energy at 100yds than the .22/250 but for the re-loader it is a pain in the butt as brass is difficult to obtain.
    The .22/250 was designated as a `deer cartridge` in your legislation of the `70s because it used a 55 grain bullet whereas the Swift used 48 or 50 grain and was not legal.
    For Deer the RWS 5.6X57 was and still is a better bet as it fires a 74gr bullet which was designed to shoot Roe and Chamois and not small furry or feathered game.

H.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

HUBERTUS wrote: »
    For Deer the RWS 5.6X57 was and still is a better bet as it fires a 74gr bullet which was designed to shoot Roe and Chamois and not small furry or feathered game.

H.
    If their the rounds im thinking of, are they not even dearer than the swift?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭HUBERTUS

I have shot deer in Ireland since 1973 but have never bought any bullets there so I cannot compare prices.
    Sometimes I used friends 5.6X57s with their ammo as they have used my .30/06 and .270 here but generally I used my own 5.6X61 VHSE or my Tikka .22/250 and took my own re-loaded ammo with me.
    For the humane killing of deer the small difference in cost must be disregarded , the Swift was never classed as a deer cartridge but the 5.6X57 was.

H.

HUBERTUS wrote: »
    I have shot deer in Ireland since 1973 but have never bought any bullets there so I cannot compare prices.
    Sometimes I used friends 5.6X57s with their ammo as they have used my .30/06 and .270 here but generally I used my own 5.6X61 VHSE or my Tikka .22/250 and took my own re-loaded ammo with me.
    For the humane killing of deer the small difference in cost must be disregarded , the Swift was never classed as a deer cartridge but the 5.6X57 was.

H.

This might be of interest to some..

http://www.chuckhawks.com/5-6x57.htm

Hezz700 wrote: »
    This might be of interest to some..

http://www.chuckhawks.com/5-6x57.htm

When applying for a 5.6x57mm firearm, what should the applicant or firearms deal quote the caliber as? ie 5.6x57 or .22?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

When applying for a 5.6x57mm firearm, what should the applicant or firearms deal quote the caliber as? ie 5.6x57 or .22?

Personally, I'd say 5.6x57mm. I have ".22 Long Rifle" on my cert because that's what's stamped on the action. If a Garda was being picky they mightn't like to have a discussion on the different types of .22. If everything on the cert matches everything on the gun you're less likely to have any hassle.

Advertisement