Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruity Loops - Basslines

• 15-06-2009 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Been using Fruity Loops 8 XXL for past few days and trying to understand all the features etc.
    I have installed various VST programs and at the moment i am spending alot of time with Albino which is amazing for getting loads of different variations in the sounds.
    One thing that is killing me is creating basslines without any knowledge on how to do them properly.
    In the video below,the bassline i created was just from messing around with the program and moving blocks here and there trying to get a catchy bassline going.
    So any advice on how to create funky catchy bassslines etc...
    If someone uses Fruity Loops could they possibly post screen shots or short video of different basslines so i can get a better idea of how to approach them and convert whats in my head into sounds :)
    I have loads of samples i could use and will use but wanna create my own basslines because then i see the notes and can match them when adding a different instrument etc.
    Also going to install Nexus soon and see what that can do but still need to have a better idea in creating basslines.
    And go easy on the terminolgy if possible trying to explain something :)
    Ignore sound levels etc in short video, just to show what kind of bassline etc i want to create .

And basslines like this is something i would like to get ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Have a look at this tutorial video. I found it helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Realistically you're just gonna have to start experimenting with the synth and see how each part of the synth affects the sound. I would stick with one synth as well, you'll only confuse yourself learning a few at the same time.

A standard bass sound would be a saw wave low pass filtered with an envelope on the cutoff. I usually start with that and then modify as needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

flyswatter wrote: »

Cheers, that was quite helpful in seeing the way he structures the bassline and explaining logics behind it etc
    Must have a look at his other stuff too.
    Anima wrote: »
    Realistically you're just gonna have to start experimenting with the synth and see how each part of the synth affects the sound. I would stick with one synth as well, you'll only confuse yourself learning a few at the same time.

A standard bass sound would be a saw wave low pass filtered with an envelope on the cutoff. I usually start with that and then modify as needed.
    :confused:

Think i am approaching the whole process wrong , i be as better off reading up on some production articles etc as i am just diving in at the deep end here.
    Will stick with the one synth as you suggest and go from there .

Not easy when ya have something going and it sounds better each time while you are modifying it with a particular program :D
    The variations in sound the likes of Albino gives you is amazing, don't know when to stop tweaking !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Definitely, its very hard to know when a sound is fine the way it is. I generally save different versions as I go along so I can go back when I envitably make the sound worse than the original.

These articles are very good for learning synths: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm. They explain all the terminalogy as well as how each component works, also how to synthesise different instruments. Theres a ton of stuff there but its worth the read.

All his tutorials seem to be extremely helpful :)
    Watched a few more and he explains everything perfect in relation to what he is doing .
    Anima wrote: »
    Definitely, its very hard to know when a sound is fine the way it is. I generally save different versions as I go along so I can go back when I envitably make the sound worse than the original.

These articles are very good for learning synths: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm. They explain all the terminalogy as well as how each component works, also how to synthesise different instruments. Theres a ton of stuff there but its worth the read.
    Yeah i am saving material each time i feel something good is sounding and yes ya tend to screw it up after so much tweaking etc !!
    Will have a gander at some of them articles in that link, there is a lot there alright :eek: :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

derra wrote: »
    All his tutorials seem to be extremely helpful :)
    Watched a few more and he explains everything perfect in relation to what he is doing .

Yeah NFX's tutorials are excellent alright. I've learnt a good bit from them. Check out this guys tutorials too, http://www.youtube.com/user/ste1438#user/C3D379DDADD57721.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

To state the obvious, reading the manual usually really helps...although some are definitely better than others.
    Albino might have a great manual that will explain what every button does with real, practical examples. Best place to start, I'd say. It'll get you tweaking without the pressure of trying to emulate.

Yeah NFX's tutorials are excellent alright. I've learnt a good bit from them. Check out this guys tutorials too, http://www.youtube.com/user/ste1438#user/C3D379DDADD57721.

Spot on again Flyswatter :) These lads seem to provide excellent tutorials, professionally done too.
    There are millions of video around but ya need the consistency these two seem to provide.
    gsparx wrote: »
    To state the obvious, reading the manual usually really helps...although some are definitely better than others.
    Albino might have a great manual that will explain what every button does with real, practical examples. Best place to start, I'd say. It'll get you tweaking without the pressure of trying to emulate.

Yes indeed, i will have a gander at the manuals and work along with it , can't wait to progress over the next while and hopefully stick to it this time :)

I will settle down soon and work out a routine for learning theory etc
    At the moment it's just pure excitement and a buzz getting various sounds and mixing them up etc
    These kind of programs like Fruity Loops etc freaked me out before and never gave them the time of day but now i am amazed what is possible with them and most important of all ,enjoying it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

derra wrote: »
    At the moment it's just pure excitement and a buzz getting various sounds and mixing them up etc
    These kind of programs like Fruity Loops etc freaked me out before and never gave them the time of day but now i am amazed what is possible with them and most important of all ,enjoying it !!

Absolutely, that's just as important, if not more so, as reading manuals. Fcuking around and having fun with it. That's what'll keep you coming back and learning more.
    Trust your ears!

Advertisement