Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Injuries in boxing.

• 15-06-2009 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Over the last few days something really out of the ordinary and never before seen has happened.

Ruslan Chagaev and Nikolai Valuev was called off.

Chagaev "was unable to fulfill the Finnish boxing federation's medical requirements," according to a statement from Valuev promoter Sauerland Event.

David Haye and Wladimir Klitschko was called off.

Heavyweight challenger David Haye of England has suffered an back injury that has forced him to pull out of his scheduled June 20 fight.

Floyd Mayweather and Juan Manuel Marquez delayed.

Floyd Mayweather Jr has postponed his comeback fight against lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez after suffering a rib injury in training.

Amir Khan and Andreas Kotelnik delayed.

Amir Khan's first world title fight has been delayed for three weeks so that his opponent Andreas Kotelnik can recover from a tooth infection.

I think this is the first time i've ever seen something like this happen.All these fights are very, very high profile fights in boxing.Do you know anyone who was injured lately? lol this is getting out of control. I have a feeling something is going on here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

What are you suggesting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

YEah I'd love to know what the CT is here? There is alot of pressure in the sport and with things how they are letting a fighter in the ring who has any sort of injury can end up costing a lot of money ... not to mention any damage to the boxer.

I think its just a case of caustion in a time when lawsuits look like a solid career option.

I'll ask someone with a lot more knowledge of the industry to drop in here.

Someone's leaked that the illuminati are gonna have the next 911 at a major boxing event..makes sense really..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

I think atleast 3 of these fights have something to do with setanta and there money problems. And the Floyd Mayweather fight was cancelled the day after the cotto fight which is really fishy.Maybe Floyd Mayweather is doing this on purpose to get a fight going with pacman? All of these injuries in such shiort period of time and while setanta are having major problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think atleast 3 of these fights have something to do with setanta and there money problems. And the Floyd Mayweather fight was cancelled the day after the cotto fight which is really fishy.Maybe Floyd Mayweather is doing this on purpose to get a fight going with pacman? All of these injuries in such shiort period of time and while setanta are having major problems.

But surely most of these fights are going to be shown all over the world. I doubt they give a haymaker whether or not Setanta can come up with the cash, the amount they make from America alone would surely make them turn a profit, whereas cancelling fights and feigning injuries just because Setanta are having money troubles would probably cost a lot more with rescheduling costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

But surely most of these fights are going to be shown all over the world. I doubt they give a haymaker whether or not Setanta can come up with the cash, the amount they make from America alone would surely make them turn a profit, whereas cancelling fights and feigning injuries just because Setanta are having money troubles would probably cost a lot more with rescheduling costs
    I heard that there's an American company trying to buy out Setanta. It could be that the boxers could earn a hell of a lot more if this deal went through and so are buying themselves time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

But again, wouldn't rescheduling costs pretty much negate that? I mean, some of the fights mentioned were due to happen pretty soon weren't they? Would there have been much benefit to delaying the fights just for that deal?

If so, then yeah, this is pretty interesting. Can't imagine some of the boxers being too happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Boxing matches are cancelled regularly.

I dont see the conspiracy.

As for Amir Khan he and his fight shouldnt even be on that list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Over the last few days something really out of the ordinary and never before seen has happened.

Ruslan Chagaev and Nikolai Valuev was called off.

Chagaev "was unable to fulfill the Finnish boxing federation's medical requirements," according to a statement from Valuev promoter Sauerland Event.

David Haye and Wladimir Klitschko was called off.

Heavyweight challenger David Haye of England has suffered an back injury that has forced him to pull out of his scheduled June 20 fight.

Floyd Mayweather and Juan Manuel Marquez delayed.

Floyd Mayweather Jr has postponed his comeback fight against lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez after suffering a rib injury in training.

Amir Khan and Andreas Kotelnik delayed.

Amir Khan's first world title fight has been delayed for three weeks so that his opponent Andreas Kotelnik can recover from a tooth infection.

I think this is the first time i've ever seen something like this happen.All these fights are very, very high profile fights in boxing.Do you know anyone who was injured lately? lol this is getting out of control. I have a feeling something is going on here.

1. Chagaev has previously been diagnosed with hepatitis so the Finnish authorities could have had genuine problems with his medical reports.

2. Haye seems to have a genuine injury. The event was sold out and had major television backing in the UK, Germany and USA so money wasn't an issue. The only conspiracy could be Haye wanting to back out of a 3 fight deal with the Klitschko brothers. However Haye's willingness to reschedule the fight for July 11 would disprove this.

3. This is the most possible conspiracy. Ticket sales for Mayweather - Marquez have been poor. Mayweather wants the fights which get him the most money, either Pacquiao or Cotto. It could be conceived that Mayweather wants out of the lower paying fight with Marquez to get a fight with either of those two. However the fight is being rescheduled for September so again, probably no conspiracy.

4. Genuine injury. When boxers are on crash diets to make weight for fights, they become much more susceptible to injuries and illnesses.

Verdict: No conspiracy, we've just been unlucky that all these fights have been cancelled or postponed within such a short period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The BBC questioned Haye about whether the fight being called off had anything got to do with Setanta's impending administration and the possibility of him not getting payed. Their is a video on the BBC wesite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Good post fidan. Mayweather - Marquez is definitely dodgy, I doubt they will even fight now.

Advertisement