Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian/Vegan tattoos

Options
  • 15-06-2009 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Mods:not sure if this is the right forum, feel free to move!
    So I'm thinking about getting a vegetarian themed tattoo to celebrate 5 years as a vegetarian this december.
    I've dont some googling, but nothings really jumped out at me! Don't want one saying vegetarian, in case I go vegan, and I don't really want to get a random fruit or veg. either!
    Was wondering if anyone on here had a vegetarian or vegan themed tattoo, or ideas for one for me!
    thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't even know one with a tattoo, never mind a themed one. :P
    If you don't get any good answers or suggestions here there is alsoa body modification/tattoo forum to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

I don't even know one with a tattoo, never mind a themed one. :P
    If you don't get any good answers or suggestions here there is alsoa body modification/tattoo forum to try.

Yeah I was thinking about putting it in there, but figured there'd be more vegetarians round here, so I might have better luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I remember hearing something about the ink used in tattoos.
    If you got a tattoo and didn't ask for vegan ink, likely it's not vegan. Tattoo ink is mixed with a carrier and a common one is glycerin, which in ink, is usually animal fat, not vegetable based. Also, a lot of black inks (bone black) are made from burnt animal bones turned into charcoal.
    http://www.peta.org/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8945

Also:
    http://www.last.fm/group/Vegans+and+Vegetarians/forum/2596/_/455372
    http://vegtalk.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-new-vegan-tattoo.html

You will probably find more about it on the net. I'm not a tattoo fan myself, but I do remember reading it somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

phic wrote: »
    Mods:not sure if this is the right forum, feel free to move!
    So I'm thinking about getting a vegetarian themed tattoo to celebrate 5 years as a vegetarian this december.
    I've dont some googling, but nothings really jumped out at me! Don't want one saying vegetarian, in case I go vegan, and I don't really want to get a random fruit or veg. either!
    Was wondering if anyone on here had a vegetarian or vegan themed tattoo, or ideas for one for me!
    thanks!

The vast majority of tattoo ink is not vegan due to animal glycerin being used. If you want a vegan tattoo, make sure to find somewhere that will order in vegan ink for you - afaik there isn't anywhere in Ireland that uses vegan ink normally. One source of vegan ink is www.stablecolor.com, you could get them to order that in for you if you do decide to go for it.

As for a vegetarian theme, I can't really think of anything other than the word "vegetarian", or a random fruit or vegetable, which you've already stated you don't want. How about a tofu burger? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Kiddynamite

I wish I new that about the ink before I got mine. I'm sure you can get something sorted out, I'm fairly sure loads of vegetarians and vegans have tattoos. Sure get one of a pig hugging a lamb or something ;)

• Advertisement

I remember hearing something about the ink used in tattoos.

http://www.peta.org/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8945

Also:
    http://www.last.fm/group/Vegans+and+Vegetarians/forum/2596/_/455372
    http://vegtalk.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-new-vegan-tattoo.html

You will probably find more about it on the net. I'm not a tattoo fan myself, but I do remember reading it somewhere.
    -lala- wrote: »
    The vast majority of tattoo ink is not vegan due to animal glycerin being used. If you want a vegan tattoo, make sure to find somewhere that will order in vegan ink for you - afaik there isn't anywhere in Ireland that uses vegan ink normally. One source of vegan ink is www.stablecolor.com, you could get them to order that in for you if you do decide to go for it.

As for a vegetarian theme, I can't really think of anything other than the word "vegetarian", or a random fruit or vegetable, which you've already stated you don't want. How about a tofu burger? :P

Yeah I've heard about the ink not being vegan before, figure I'll look into that after i've decided what I want! I'll be abroad a lot this summer, so may look into vegan tattoo shops where I'm going!Thanks for the warnings though guys, would be awful to realise that the ink was full of animal by-products after it was in my skin!
    Thinking maybe the letter V with some kinda greenery around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

oh i like the idea of a V with greenery around it, it could look really elegant.
    did u do up any sketches?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

as a regular on the T&P (formerly the bod mod forum) forum, i remember one dude educating us about the non-vegan qualities of ink.

just about nowhere will stock vegan ink, but one dude who used to be a regular had a UV tattoo done, despite nobody stocking it, he just ordered it online and brought it in. little more expensive for him, but hey, he's got that ink for life.

as for images and ideas, im not too sure about that. how big/small do you want the tattoo to be? where will it be placed? what kind of colours are you willing to use? if i was going for a veggie themed tattoo, it would probably be an image depicting nature/animals. possibly a peace/unity based idea? hmmm, it is a bit of a tricky one to depict. maybe some smiths lyrics or something ;)

No sketches as yet, might do some later! Well the Peta link given above has a fair few vegan inks listed, so I guess I'll just have to ask around! Tattoo artists are somewhat secretive about their inks though... I'm thinking wrist for placement, so nothing too massive! Pretty open on the colours, but would like to keep it fairly simple! I don't want anything very obviously political, as I'm not trying to change peoples minds about eating meat or anything. I just want it as a lil celebration/reminder to myself! I'm really thinking just a kinda decorative V! Suppose i'll just have to go in and talk to an artist about it really! Still love to see if anyone has one themselves, or comes up with an idea though! oops this was way too long sorry!

No sketches as yet, might do some later! Well the Peta link given above has a fair few vegan inks listed, so I guess I'll just have to ask around! Tattoo artists are somewhat secretive about their inks though... I'm thinking wrist for placement, so nothing too massive! Pretty open on the colours, but would like to keep it fairly simple! I don't want anything very obviously political, as I'm not trying to change peoples minds about eating meat or anything. I just want it as a lil celebration/reminder to myself! I'm really thinking just a kinda decorative V! Suppose i'll just have to go in and talk to an artist about it really! Still love to see if anyone has one themselves, or comes up with an idea though! oops this was way too long sorry!

if i get time ill do a few sketches, or illustrator images if u like. just let me know if u want anything specific, colour or whatever. :)

• Advertisement

maameeo wrote: »
    if i get time ill do a few sketches, or illustrator images if u like. just let me know if u want anything specific, colour or whatever. :)

Oh wow thanks a million! Well I was thinking dark green or black for colour, and basically just the letter V with a simple design of vines, or leaves around it! I'd love to see what you come up with! thanks so much!

Oh wow thanks a million! Well I was thinking dark green or black for colour, and basically just the letter V with a simple design of vines, or leaves around it! I'd love to see what you come up with! thanks so much!

sorry just saw u wrote back now!!! ill get on that! try get u something during the week :)

hey phic!
    havnt had much time to work on sketches this week, this is all i got to so far, duno if its at all what ur looking for or if it would work as a tattoo, im sure someone wud know! :)
    ill keep thinking of designs though!

hey phic!
    havnt had much time to work on sketches this week, this is all i got to so far, duno if its at all what ur looking for or if it would work as a tattoo, im sure someone wud know! :)
    ill keep thinking of designs though!

hey sorry havn't been on in a while, but thats amazing thanks so much!
    Was completely what I was thinking of! I'd say i'll have to lose some of the detail, cos i'm getting it fairly small on my wrist, which is a pity, but it's awesome anyway!
    Now i have something proper to show the tattooist instead of my rambling explanations!

hey sorry havn't been on in a while, but thats amazing thanks so much!
    Was completely what I was thinking of! I'd say i'll have to lose some of the detail, cos i'm getting it fairly small on my wrist, which is a pity, but it's awesome anyway!
    Now i have something proper to show the tattooist instead of my rambling explanations!

aww cool, well im sure the tattoo artist will be able to draw over it to make it into a proper tattoo.

btw, there is 5 thick vines to represent the five years, forgot to mention that but i guess you got that :)

aww cool, well im sure the tattoo artist will be able to draw over it to make it into a proper tattoo.

btw, there is 5 thick vines to represent the five years, forgot to mention that but i guess you got that :)

oh wow didn't even cop the five vines thing, but that makes it even better! you're so awesome, thank you!

oh wow didn't even cop the five vines thing, but that makes it even better! you're so awesome, thank you!

aww shucks! thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

Joseph in Connected Ink, Templebar is Vegan and uses only vegan friendly ink etc.

Joseph in Connected Ink, Templebar is Vegan and uses only vegan friendly ink etc.
    thank you! do you happen know if he's the only one in dublin or is there more?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

Hehe I was coming here to post about most tattoo ink not being vegan:P but people already mentioned it!

I would also like a leafy V with some fancy script! Maybe a flower or two growing on it:) Or something like "vegetarian for life" in latin or something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

thank you! do you happen know if he's the only one in dublin or is there more?

I knew a vegan tattoo artist, called Keith - I think he was/is with Celestial Ring. 'Haven't seen him in years, tho, after he married and sprogged. Really cool, super intelligent guy but I suspect he's still working quietly away in Dublin.

Advertisement