Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Limits in Cork

Options
  • 15-06-2009 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

Im concerned about Cork County Council are their desire to increase speed limits on National Routes to Motorway Speeds.

The N8 from Watergrasshill to the Jack Lynch Tunnell is now 120kph but its a national road.

The N25 as far as Middleton has been increased to 120kph but its only a National road.

I understand from the rules of the road that National Routes are 100kph. The reasons that the Motorway is 120kph is because only experienced drivers can drive on it and no L drivers, tractors, drivers under 50cc, horses etc.

But not in Cork?

Why?

Before you ask. The Cork Co Co website does not have a contact e-mail address.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's already 120 in other parts of the country, the Ashbourne bypass has been 120kmph for years now.

there are other factors in not getting motorway status I think, even something like having too many exits can prevent getting Motorway status, Personally I don't see the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

This is not just happening in Cork. Some HQDC roads around the country can have their speed limits increased from 100km/h to 120km/h.

Have a read of this http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dualcarriageway-speed-limit-increased-to-120kph-99917.html

BTW, this has been happening since 2006/2007...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Moved from motors

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

I's about bloody time too, most routes in cork are blighted by 50kmph and 60kmph zones miles away from civilisation for no descinerable reason. I'm not certain but i have been told that L drivers, trucks and tractors are bound to lower speed limit on these roads and to be fair i've never ever seen anything that i thought was less than 50cc on any of these roads which i travel regularly nor on the ballincollig bypass which i travel twice daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I think it is something to do with checking the curvitude and camber to ensure it was safe to increase the speed limit. This is the reason that the M7 from Naas to Dublin is only 100, even though it has a motorway designation, I myself think that that strech of the N8 is fine for 120km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Berty wrote: »
    The N8 from Watergrasshill to the Jack Lynch Tunnell is now 120kph but its a national road.

You sure about that?
    Did it change very recently?
    Cause I'm pretty sure the last bit near the tunnel is only 100kph, a part after the motorway (from fermoy direction) is 120 but it reduces back to 100 as the downhill windy part begins.

And as stated above a number of dual carrigeway N roads have been bumped up to 120kph and rightly so, they are well capable of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Cause I'm pretty sure the last bit near the tunnel is only 100kph, a part after the motorway (from fermoy direction) is 120 but it reduces back to 100 as the downhill windy part begins.

A few months ago, J17 to J18 (the Watergrasshill Bypass) had its speed limit increased to 120 km/h. J18 to J19 (Glanmire - Dunkettle) is only 100 km/h. So basically, yes, the windy part is still 100 km/h.

The whole thing will be upgraded to motorway by summer (if the DoT are correct), but the Glanmire Bypass will keep its 100 km/h limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Berty wrote: »
    The N25 as far as Middleton has been increased to 120kph but its only a National road.

It's not 120 all the way to Midleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Dimitri wrote: »
    I's about bloody time too, most routes in cork are blighted by 50kmph and 60kmph zones miles away from civilisation for no descinerable reason. I'm not certain but i have been told that L drivers, trucks and tractors are bound to lower speed limit on these roads and to be fair i've never ever seen anything that i thought was less than 50cc on any of these roads which i travel regularly nor on the ballincollig bypass which i travel twice daily.

Trucks and buses are limited to 80km/hr.

There are no restrictions on speed for learner drivers that don't apply to fully licensed drivers.

There's an application in to have Glanmire-Watergrasshill re-designated as motorway. The Ballincollig bypass will probably be re-designated if the rest of the N22 is ever upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

It's only 120kmh on the N25 as far as the last Carrigtwohill on ramp. This is because of the amount of "cross-over" points between there and midleton.
    The roads have been upgraded where the quality of the road is up to Motorway standard
    Eg.
    The Ballincollig bypass
    The N8 from the toll to the end of the Glanmire on-ramp.
    The N25 from the tunnel on ramp to the carrigtwohill on ramp.

There's prob more but they're the 3 that spring to mind.
    The mallow road should prob be upgraded from the Commons to Blarney Business Park too but it hasnt happened yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 CorkGurl

What is speed limit before intersection near Middleton going towards Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

CorkGurl wrote: »

Wow, you must have dug DEEP to find this!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

CorkGurl wrote: »

The East Cork Parkway which is motorway standard from J4 Carrigtwohill East to Dunkettle is 120km/h. From there east is 100km/h as it's low quality with accesses directly leading onto the DC.

Locking this thread, question is answered and thread is 7 years old

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement