Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cllr Noonan to become Mayor Noonan

Options
  • 15-06-2009 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

http://www.kilkennyalive.com/story/it%E2%80%99s-green-go-mayor-malcolm
    GREEN Party vote catcher Malcolm Noonan is set to become Mayor of Kilkenny.
    With just over two hours to decision time, the Kilkenny Alive newsroom has learned that what appeared to be a two-horse race at lunchtime today, now has a clear favourite.
    The smart money is on Malcolm Noonan to accept the chain of office from outgoing Mayor Pat Crotty.
    Councillors were remaining tight-lipped all day as speculation mounted. It is now expected that Councillor Noonan will not be opposed for the hot seat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I couldnt imagine Malcolm in a suit!
    Can anyone tell me how is the voting pact arranged for the election of the mayor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

If this is true.......

KILKENNY ROCKS!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Whoop tee fúcking doo, you obviously have your own agenda. I'd like to see you keep it to the politics forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I can't see how Darren has his own agenda, maybe it's not as obvious to me. Perhaps you could enlighten us all.

No need to go to politics forum, this is Kilkenny news is it not? What's the problem?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

nuttz wrote: »
    Whoop tee fúcking doo, you obviously have your own agenda. I'd like to see you keep it to the politics forum.

ChristIsMurph is Fine Gael
    Malcolm Noonan is Green Party?

Exactly what is the agenda?

Personally this info relates specifically to Kilkenny City and as such is unlikely to be of any interest to the VAST MAJORITY of people in the Politics forum.

I see nothing wrong with ChristIsMurph's post, he's simply posting information and sourcing the info with a link like everyone should do when they are posting such info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

As very notable Kilkenny news, this thread is completely right to be in this section. It's ridiculous for it not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ChristIsMurph

Yeah what is my agenda here!? I posted up news to do with Kilkenny. I didn't even comment on it, I just felt people might like to know! So nuttz?

As a "Fine Gael Candidate For Kilkenny Borough Council", it would seem obvious to me that you have an agenda, it's in your signature.

You post a link about a Green Councillor with no comment/opinion whatsoever? (which if I remember correctly is not allowed in the politics forum, I know this not politics, but compare like with like)

Do you think he will be a good Lord Mayor or were you just waiting for some more congratulations to roll in before you got a sly dig in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Talk about jumping to conclusions! The rules for one forum dont necessarily apply to another. The "dont post links" rule for politics, is because the forum was overrun with those types of threads. Anyway theres mods here to decide what threads are to stay open/closed.

Also, why would Darren feel the need to "get a dig in" at the new mayor? It was his party and Labour who voted him in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I dont see how a non-sitting councillor can have an agenda... A green party councillor gets elected, a fg member/supporter (with no political power or anything) who is a member and a contributer tells us and apparently there is a hidden agenda? :S

Green Party is not Fine Gael. There is no connection.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    I dont see how a non-sitting councillor can have an agenda... A green party councillor gets elected, a fg member/supporter (with no political power or anything) who is a member and a contributer tells us and apparently there is a hidden agenda? :S

Green Party is not Fine Gael. There is no connection.

No he's right. I have a hidden agenda. I am planning a murder plot against the mayor in order to ascend to the throne of mayor myself.......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

You preempted the first dig Nutts by throwing the first dig.
    What unresolved personal issues have you carried into this thread.

Best of luck to Malcolm. Kilkenny might even get a Starkadder reunion gig out of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You post a link about a Green Councillor with no comment/opinion whatsoever? (which if I remember correctly is not allowed in the politics forum, I know this not politics, but compare like with like)

This is not the politics forum, nor does it have the same rules as the politics forum so its nothing alike and as such cannot be compared as such...accordingly like with like does not apply.

Only thing alike is this is a forum :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    ...accordingly like with like does not apply.

Only thing alike is this is a forum :)

Mr Murphy's post is as much of a political nature as it is local, thus the likeness.

As for the other comment about personal issues I might have, I just resent having to look at an election poster whenever Mr Murphy decides to post. It seems to me that he is just using this forum as a means to further his own personal exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Mr Murphy's post is as much of a political nature as it is local, thus the likeness.

As for the other comment about personal issues I might have, I just resent having to look at an election poster whenever Mr Murphy decides to post. It seems to me that he is just using this forum as a means to further his own personal exposure.

Where is this election poster you claim to have to look at?
    The guy is just as entitled to post here as anybody else. And he choose to give up his anonymity here which was his own choice I'm sure. I don't see the relevance of his position or otherwise to the original post.

If he had said Malcom Noonan was a no-good or worse then maybe you would ahve a point ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

How? I did the exact same thing in Waterford... Some people are interested in these things and its better then going for the Political forum which is a much broader discussion base.

Mr Murphy is no longer a politician. He failed to get elected. He is no a regular Joe Soap but we know his political affiliations. He is as much welcome to post as anybody else, including other politicians.

He was a member here from early elections so I think he has got as much exposure from Boards as possible.

Lets stick to the topic, we have gone further away from the point and I am fed up of listening to people with hidden agendas having a go at some of the contributors on the forum. Take your issues elsewhere, not on the forum thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Being from Kilkenny, but living in London, I was delighted to read about Mayor Malcolm here almost as soon as it was announced. I never read Politics Forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Mr Murphy is no longer a politician. He failed to get elected. He is no a regular Joe Soap but we know his political affiliations. He is as much welcome to post as anybody else, including other politicians.

Nonsense. He didn't get elected. That doesn't mean he is no longer a politician.

Purry Cat wrote: »

Nonsense. He didn't get elected. That doesn't mean he is no longer a politician.

Did you read the remainder of my post where I said;
    Lets stick to the topic, we have gone further away from the point and I am fed up of listening to people with hidden agendas having a go at some of the contributors on the forum. Take your issues elsewhere, not on the forum thanks.

Ill make it clearer. Next person who goes off topic will be given a weeks ban. We dont want another topic derailed. The rest of my earlier post still stands, regardless of what the poster is (male, female, fg, ff, sf, gay, straight, alien, transformer, the devil, god, etc.)

Any issues - Help Desk or PM myself or Stephen. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 upthecats

What do we know about Malcolm Noonan other than he is from the Green Party and what are his plans for the city if he gets elected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

upthecats wrote: »
    What do we know about Malcolm Noonan other than he is from the Green Party and what are his plans for the city if he gets elected?

Cllr Noonan put forward a plan for the traffic management/ pedestrianisation of kilkenny there a couple of months ago as an alternative to the Inner Relief Road/ Central Access Scheme. It featured shuttle buses in from the completed ring road, cycle lanes and the pedestrianisation of high street. As far as i know he's a qualified town planner so he knows what he's doing in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

http://malcolmnoonan.com/

Read away there now to your hearts content!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 upthecats

Thanks.

Some interesting stuff there if he gets a chance to implement them. I look the stuff about improving transport and public realm as this will hopefully make our city more attractive and a pleasant place to live in.

When is the decision on who gets elected expected to be made?

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

He is Mayor as of Monday. I suppose that wasnt clear in the original post.

http://www.kilkennyalive.com/story/forecast-kilkenny-alive-malcolm-noonan-our-new-mayor

jiggajt wrote: »
    He is Mayor as of Monday. I suppose that wasnt clear in the original post.

http://www.kilkennyalive.com/story/forecast-kilkenny-alive-malcolm-noonan-our-new-mayor

Hey yeah sorry I posted it before the decision was made! Probably should have mentioned since it was definate :p

What power(s) does a mayor have?

fabbydabby wrote: »
    What power(s) does a mayor have?

This might be of use;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayor

Though deeply facinating, the etymology of the word and the specifics of global mayoral types and titles is, I fear, of no use whatsoever.

Apologies if my question was perhaps a little vague. Instead of answering the "What is a mayor?" question, you might answer the following, slightly more specific query:

"Does the Mayor of Kilkenny DO anything or does he/she simply wear a gold chain and sit around scratching his/her pole all day long?"

Otherwise a wikipedia link which addresses the above would similarly be gratefully received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

By and large, it's a ceremonial position.

Advertisement