Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Greyhound stadium is on track for 2010

Options
  • 15-06-2009 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering what people in general think about this new stadium? I think it will be a great addition to Limerick, something different to do on a night out or a work do. If it delivers the number of race meetings promised it could bring some good money into Limerick.

However, could this type of facitity be a magnate for 'undersirables'? I suppose we can only wait and see!

From the leader http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-Greyhound-stadium-is-on.5366005.jp

"LIMERICK's new Greyhound Stadium costing €18 million and promising 100 permanent jobs will open in September of next year.
    The state-of-the-art facility will be built at the former Limerick Racecourse at Greenpark and will feature a main stand with viewing and dining areas as well as a number of bars.

The new stadium will provide employment in the city for 250 jobs during the build and 100 permanent jobs upon completion.

It will host over 1,750 races a year and have a capacity attendance of 2,900, putting it among the top rank of greyhound racing stadia on an international scale. The stadium will boast an impressive 190 seat restaurant, private hospitality suites and gallery bars, all of which will be a significant attraction for people in the Mid-West region. The stadium has been designed to accommodate the latest developments in building and environmental efficiency."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I doubt it will attract any more undesireables than the current stadium in the Market's field. It's a positive step for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'm looking forward to it, it's been a hell of a long time coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

It's about time we got a decent greyhound stadium to be honest. It's been an embarrassment that such a prestigious race like the irish st ledger has had to take place in the Market's field in this day and age.

A night at the dogs is a great night out though. Can be very cheap or very dear:D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

2900 capacity?? This must be a typo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

What's more interesting to me is what they'll end up doing with the Markets Field. As far as I know the MF is zoned for sports and recreation in the city and cannot be sold for development (a part of the total site can, but not the actual sports arena). Will be interesting to see what kind of an agreement they come to with City Council. I know that Limerick FC and The Limerick rugby league team have expressed an interest in sharing the ground and turning it in to a municipal stadium open to all sports. The FAI have also expressed an interest in developing the ground as a small scale football stadium for the mid west region. All depends on Bord Na gCon and the City Council though.

Looking forward to the new greyhound stadium myself. Hope it's better than the racecourse out in Patrickswell which is a depressing cold hole of a place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

What's more interesting to me is what they'll end up doing with the Markets Field. As far as I know the MF is zoned for sports and recreation in the city and cannot be sold for development (a part of the total site can, but not the actual sports arena). Will be interesting to see what kind of an agreement they come to with City Council. I know that Limerick FC and The Limerick rugby league team have expressed an interest in sharing the ground and turning it in to a municipal stadium open to all sports. The FAI have also expressed an interest in developing the ground as a small scale football stadium for the mid west region. All depends on Bord Na gCon and the City Council though.

Looking forward to the new greyhound stadium myself. Hope it's better than the racecourse out in Patrickswell which is a depressing cold hole of a place

The council can rezone land from sports use to commercial use. They did it for Limerick Boat Club and they've been trying to do it for the old LYMPA grounds off the Ennis road. It is vital the council are not allowed rezone this land imo.

Ideally it would be turned into a municipal stadium, with Limerick FC as anchor tenants. Being realistic, I would rather the GAA were kept out of it, as their pitches are too big for football and rugby games imo. I would rather any extra space were used for running tracks, athlethics, etc.

Here's a thread on archiseek about it.
    http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=7437

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I'm a bit fed up of all the negativity on this forum.

Something positive for a change, The new Limerick Greyhound Track is due to open in September !

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

. Hope it's better than the racecourse out in Patrickswell which is a depressing cold hole of a place

Pay an extra few quid for the reserve enclosure, well worth it. I think the racecourse is fantastic btw, best view of the track from anywhere near the stand in the country, only issue I have is that I think the betting ring should be off down the front of the stand like most other courses.

As for the greyhound track, its all good! a bit out of the way maybe but we''ll get over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Pay an extra few quid for the reserve enclosure, well worth it. I think the racecourse is fantastic btw, best view of the track from anywhere near the stand in the country, only issue I have is that I think the betting ring should be off down the front of the stand like most other courses.

As for the greyhound track, its all good! a bit out of the way maybe but we''ll get over that.

Fully agree with that. It's a top class facility. A once a year race goer might find it cold compared to watching the racing on the TV but if you regularly attend race meetings then you will see how far ahead Greenmount is of most other venues in the country.

Some people would complain about anything, but to complain about the sporting facilities in Limerick is ridiculous.

Greyhound stadium is coming along nicely and when it's finished Limerick will have the following:

- Thomond Park: 27k capacity top of the range stadium
    - Gaelic Grounds: More spartan but huge capacity of 54k
    - Horse Racing: One of the top facilities in the country
    - Greyhound Racing: Newest facility in the country
    - Swimming: 50 meter Olympic Pool
    - Golf: Adare Manor and countless other top courses
    - Rowing: one of the most active rowing scenes in the country
    - National Coaching and Training Center based in UL.
    - UL Arena, top class venue capable of hosting Basketball, Boxing and any other number of events.

I'm sure I'm leaving out a few other places as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Fully agree with that. It's a top class facility. A once a year race goer might find it cold compared to watching the racing on the TV but if you regularly attend race meetings then you will see how far ahead Greenmount is of most other venues in the country.
    It really is. I'd hazard a guess that 4tothefloor hasn't been to many race meeting around Ireland. Limerick stacks up very well in terms of facilities for patrons. The views are brilliant from all vantage points. Added to all that the parking and traffic mgt out there are brilliant.
    If you want to see a 'cold hole of a place' take a trip out to Tipperary racecourse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

Ive been to Corks dogtrack a few times - when it opened it became very popular for company nights out and Id say it'll be the same in Limerick.. for those not into greyhound racing its a good night out about once a year..

Advertisement