Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows-XP Pro desktop does not appear

• 15-06-2009 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi,
    Any suggestions to to help this problem im seeing are very much appreciated.

Problem:

windows desktop does not appear. Toolbar or any icons dont appear however the wallpaper does.

What I have done to try and resolve this:

I hit F8 to enter advanced setup.

I have tried loading "Last know configuration that worked" --> same problem

I can open in safe mode, still no desktop but I can run the command prompt. I can now view all the directories etc.

I tried running an unattended install "c:WINDOWS\I386\winnt32.exe /s:c:WINDOWS\I386" but I get the following Error "Version of windows you are trying to install is older than the current version, you will loose all files if you continue"
    As it happens I can't continue because I don't have administrator rights, I don't have administrator right because they are attached to other accounts that I can't logonto, its looking for some program called netlogin.

The Girl im fixing this for doesn't have any of the original CDs

Im out of ideas now.

Can anyone suggest:

1) How to copy pictures/docs from the hard drive using ms-dos?

2) How I can fix this desktop Issue? Windows repair or re-install. Please bear in mind I don't have the original CDs.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

1. press Ctrl+alt+del and open the taskmanager and check if explorer.exe is in the process list.

if not then check the following registry path:

run regedit.exe from the command prompt

HKEY localmachine\software\microsoft\windowsnt\currentversion\winlogon

under winlogon make sure the shell entry has explorer.exe as the shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

1. press Ctrl+alt+del and open the taskmanager and check if explorer.exe is in the process list.

Thanks, The taskmanager is disabled, I cannot access it. Is there anyway to check in ms-dos? Like "top" in Unix

humm winxp pro comes with a file called tasklist.exe which lists all the running processes but if you cant open taskmanager and dont have a start button how are you going to run it??

was the taskmanager disabled before you had this issue? if it occured with the issue it sounds like a virus,.

humm winxp pro comes with a file called tasklist.exe which lists all the running processes but if you cant open taskmanager and dont have a start button how are you going to run it??

was the taskmanager disabled before you had this issue? if it occured with the issue it sounds like a virus,.

I don't know if the taskmanager was disabled before, I never used this computer when it worked correctly. Anything I run now is from the ms-dos command prompt. There is an option in the advanced startup menu to "Start windows in safe mode with a command prompt" that is how I can access the command prompt.

Could I still run your initial suggestion without checking the process list?

ya just check the registry path.

• Advertisement

OKay im not as familiar with windows as Linux, is this what your saying

1: Run this

2: This should be returned

3: explorer.exe should be in the winlogon directory, if not copy it from somewhere?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

You're PC isn't even able to run the most basic of commands. It is probably infected with a Virus. I would recommend re-installing the operating system. Its is the most simple and quickest way of solving serious issues. Most people shy away from it as they have tonnes of important **** lying everywhere that the cant be assed to backup. My system is organized in a way that I can re-install my OS in less than an hour and carry on working where left off.

So. My advise would be to re-install the OS from scratch after formatting your hard disk. WARNING, If you have information on the drive that is so important you can't format then I suggest you use a fresh hard drive and recover the files you need later. You will need to use the Hard Disk you have now as a second drive and once you have installed a good free anti-virus protection you can scan the files you need. I recommend downloading a free version of Avast and Spybot or something similar. These programs will also scan file by 'right clicking' on the files themselves.

Hope I have helped. : )

OKay im not as familiar with windows as Linux, is this what your saying

1: Run this

2: This should be returned

3: explorer.exe should be in the winlogon directory, if not copy it from somewhere?

Thanks

ya thats exactly it. whatever program enter as the shell will launch after you login to windows.

DHFrame wrote: »
    You're PC isn't even able to run the most basic of commands. It is probably infected with a Virus. I would recommend re-installing the operating system. Its is the most simple and quickest way of solving serious issues. Most people shy away from it as they have tonnes of important **** lying everywhere that the cant be assed to backup. My system is organized in a way that I can re-install my OS in less than an hour and carry on working where left off.

So. My advise would be to re-install the OS from scratch after formatting your hard disk. WARNING, If you have information on the drive that is so important you can't format then I suggest you use a fresh hard drive and recover the files you need later. You will need to use the Hard Disk you have now as a second drive and once you have installed a good free anti-virus protection you can scan the files you need. I recommend downloading a free version of Avast and Spybot or something similar. These programs will also scan file by 'right clicking' on the files themselves.

Hope I have helped. : )

Thanks DH, sure you have helped. I am willing do do this and it sounds like the correct thing to do after I try the above suggestion, just a couple of questions.

1) I don't have any of the disks that came with the computer. How can I get a copy of the OS? Its a legal copy that is installed on the computer at present, could I ask for replacements off Microsoft? Can I use restore disks from another computer, probably not im sure. Can I create a boot disk using another computers settings?
    2) I don't have a second hard drive either. Is there any way I can copy "My Documents" to CD using the DOS prompt? I have access to the DOS Prompt and there is a CD burner on the computer. Format the drive, re-install the OS. The reload "My Documents" and run an anti virus program.

Thanks

ya thats exactly it. whatever program enter as the shell will launch after you login to windows.

Nice one thanks, Ill try this later this evening when I get home from work and let you know how it goes.

• Advertisement

Hey BrokenArrow I checked the registry like you said and it looks OK. The script called shell in the registry path you gave is labled as Explorer.exe so it doesn't look like the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

sounds like a corrupt user profile, is it a networked PC ? have you tried logging in with a different username ? I'd try this before going to the trouble of re-installing as it probably isn't nessesary

21/25

uch wrote: »
    sounds like a corrupt user profile, is it a networked PC ? have you tried logging in with a different username ? I'd try this before going to the trouble of re-installing as it probably isn't nessesary

Hey uch, I can't log onto any or the other user profiles, they are somehow linked to a university system that needs some sort of connection tool thats not running.
    Is there anyway to create a new profile from the command prompt? Something simple just so I can login?

Thanks

if you just type explorer.exe into command prompt. does the windows shell load?

check the windows event viewer to see if there are any obvious errors that occurred after you logged in.

event viewer can be launched via command prompt by entering "eventvwr"

if you just type explorer.exe into command prompt. does the windows shell load?

check the windows event viewer to see if there are any obvious errors that occurred after you logged in.

event viewer can be launched via command prompt by entering "eventvwr"

Sure ill do that this evening when I get home.

Advertisement