Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at getting a new shotgun (Game)

• 15-06-2009 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

As above lads im looking at trading in my shotgun, I currently have a lanber game fixed choke 28inch. Budget around 1500 ish including trade in. One thing it must have is a automatic saftey on it, i dont know why all game shotguns dont have these. So lads any suggestions and what are ye using ?I dont shoot clays at all so it will be just for our furry and feathered friends. Speaking to a gun dealer to day he was saying game guns are quite limited, no problems in getting a sporter there seems to be a huge selection.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Have you considered a good second hand S/S ? It looks like dealers can't shift them for love nor money and as a consequence you can pick up a good quality gun for relatively small money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Have you considered a good second hand S/S ? It looks like dealers can't shift them for love nor money and as a consequence you can pick up a good quality gun for relatively small money.

To be honest meathstevie I have not, but if I seen one I liked and it felt and fitted right it might i could consider it. But i am a fan of the o/u.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Where have you tried?

Last time I was in Lakelands, Mullingar he had a big selection of guns. Mind you I didn't look too closely at whether they were game or clay. Clarkes Sportsden in Navan is not bad on game guns too.

I wouldn't get hung up on automatic safety though. I think you should develop and maintain the habit of checking it yourself constantly rather than lazily relying on the automatic.

If you could stretch the butget a little more, maybe this one might suit.....

P5221424.jpg

Oh sorry, I misread your post, I thought you meant €1500 a month for the next 50 years:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

No matter how much I love Browning for that money I'd want at least Holland&Holland. Since you mentioned Clarkes, I found a little gem of a S/S there about 2 years ago.

As for the safety catch; most game guns would have an automatic ( as in every time you break the gun it engages ) one but it's good practice to check it every time you use the gun and you can never be 100% sure it's working properly all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭J.R.

Have you looked at the Beretta Ultralight?

• Advertisement

Pullandbang only got to one dealer so far and his stock is pretty low at the moment so i have him on the case for me. He had a lovely beretta sliver pigeon I think but looking for 2 grand plus.

As for the saftey my lanber is a manual saftey but I want the automatic just for peace of mind. As you said its second nature to keep checking and i religously do. But I had one of those moments recently out for a few rabbits got a double replaced new cartridges and off I walked was 20 yards down the field and felt the saftey and went ahh fu*k i forgot to put it back on safe. Some times in the excitement of things you do stupid things :o

As for that Browning I think I might give it a miss this week, maybe if i get some overtime the weekend it might cover it :D

J.R. wrote: »
    Have you looked at the Beretta Ultralight?

Would consider one JR do you know what they retail at ? Have read some good reports on the them but that could be said for nearly all the beretta range.

Would consider one JR do you know what they retail at ? Have read some good reports on the them but that could be said for nearly all the beretta range.

Courtlough have one 28'', multichoke in mint condition for €1,450 ISD page 49

Beretta Ultralight Reviews

http://www.sportinggun.co.uk/guns/145875/Beretta_Ultralight_shotgun_review.html

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews8676.html

http://gunmart.net/gun_review/beretta_ultralight/

I don't have one but was seriously buying at one time....lovely handling & feel ........I just wonder what the recoil would be like on such a light gun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

J.R. wrote: »
    Beretta Ultralight Reviews

http://www.sportinggun.co.uk/guns/145875/Beretta_Ultralight_shotgun_review.html

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews8676.html

http://gunmart.net/gun_review/beretta_ultralight/

I don't have one but was seriously buying at one time....lovely handling & feel ........I just wonder what the recoil would be like on such a light gun?

I've shot one. It's a little brisker alright. You'd definitely notice it, but for game, you'd be fine. A whole afternoon on pigeons might leave you a bit shaken though. And definitely not a clay gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

If you're looking for a really lightweight S/S for carrying all day check out an AYA Model 25, they come in either boxlock or sidelock. 25" barrells, auto-safety and really well built. I've seen them 2nd hand for under your budget. I've had mine for a few years now and love it. Not for clays or wood pigeons though, too light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

i use an aya s/s beautiful gun, just put a deposit on a berreta 686e sporter black action e 1650.
    www.gmk.co.uk

Right lads a little update for ye, I went for the Beretta Ultralight in the end and iv got to say its a fine gun. It fits like a glove cant wait to get out and put a few cartridges throught it, hopefully this evening if the rain holds off.

As for the issues I had with the saftey , the ultalight did not come with a automatic saftey but my gundealer sent it off to ardee to have one put in for me with there gunsmith.

Happy as kid at christmas now, will try and get some pictures up soon.

RH 77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Good stuff RH. It's a cracking gun. My cousin had one and it was the first firearm I ever used. Nice and light, great field gun. You'd need to be a bigger man than me though to use it for clays. :p Really would beat you around a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Try the Side by side, i got one last year and they're great. You'ld get a nice 2nd hand AYA for 1500ish.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I went for the Beretta Ultralight in the end and iv got to say its a fine gun. It fits like a glove cant wait to get out and put a few cartridges throught it, hopefully this evening if the rain holds off.

Good stuff. Best of luck with and may all your kills be good ones!

:D
    Good stuff RH. It's a cracking gun. My cousin had one and it was the first firearm I ever used. Nice and light, great field gun. You'd need to be a bigger man than me though to use it for clays. :p Really would beat you around a lot.

I am a big lad IWM :D but this will be just for game, have only shots clays twice in the last 15 years maybe i should be doing it more I might be able to hit something then :D

I hope so pullandbang looking forward to getting out with it.

Advertisement