Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be carefull

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

thats what happens when you put bullets in airsoft guns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

Be carefull, this is one lucky guy.

Is that what you call luck !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Ass wrote: »
    thats what happens when you put bullets in airsoft guns

Pretty sure thats not an airsoft rifle.

If it were an airsoft chances are the chamber/reciever would have blown.

Pretty spectacular footage but I suspect there may be more than a little trickery going on here ...

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

i doubt its trickery! a small obstruction in the barrel could cause that i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

all ways use a bit of insulating tape over your mussel and just shoot through it .
    cut it a inch long and stick it to your stock till you want it .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

ayapatrick wrote: »
    i doubt its trickery! a small obstruction in the barrel could cause that i think!

snow , rain ,mud all will do this .a good lesson for all

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

thedragon wrote: »
    Be carefull, this is one lucky guy.

Is that what you call luck !!

That would be a yes.

Lucky that he still has both arms and uninjured as he said in the clip. It would of been very easy for a serious injury to accour when the barell blew. I have seen people with a good few facial injuries as a result of not holiding a rifle properly ( FN 7.62) and these had no scopes. Imagine now recoil of high powered rifle with scope only 4 inches from your eye and the barell blowing out like that need i say more.

Lucky would be having a winning lotto ticket either :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

If it were an airsoft chances are the chamber/reciever would have blown.

Pretty spectacular footage but I suspect there may be more than a little trickery going on here ...

nah it was definitely an airsoft rifle. all guns should be banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Ass wrote: »
    ........all guns should be banned

That you Minister :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Pretty sure that was a joke and that he knows you couldnt chamber a round in an airsoft rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

What type of barrel construction would lead itself to that type of split?
    Fluted, Hammer forged, etc etc.

Anyway as Jws said it a good lesson for all! Just think what might have happened to the camera man if he was standing abreast of the barrel:eek:

PS Don't like looking at stuff like that as it could physiological cause you to flinch!!! or develop some bad habits.
    Its like going out shooting at night own your own!! Not wise to watch horror movies..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

jwshooter wrote: »
    snow , rain ,mud all will do this .a good lesson for all
    I wouldn't agree.

To preface - yes, it's a bloody good idea to keep your barrel free from obstruction, yes you can damage a barrel by firing when it's obstructed, even to split it, and yes that'd ruin your whole day (or at least your shorts). But this particular video clip? I call shenanigans.

First off, looking at the damage supposed to have been done to that rifle, does anyone else remember the "banana peel" split rifle which was supposedly caused by shooting while the laser boresighter was still in the barrel?

deer-rifle-2.jpg

If you watched the show much, you might remember mythbusters trying to get a 30-06 rifle to do this with various obstructions in the barrel. They managed to get a split of an inch or two in the barrel, but basicly concluded that unless the barrel was old and worn out, it wouldn't give the kind of banana split effect seen in this clip. (This is why you proof your rifle in the first place).

The rifle in the clip doesn't look even close to being old or worn, and the idea that snow or rain in your barrel would stand up to the pressure of a fullbore round to the point where the proofed steel around it would explode first does somewhat defy logic. On top of that, there's just not enough energy on display in that video. No shrapnel, the camerawork is far too steady, and the sound is that of a normal rifle shot, there's no sound of metal tearing or bending - the sound of the rifle shot on mythbusters when the barrel split was noticably 'wrong'.

Nope, this is too much like the giant lego ball video clip - not real.

BTW, most folks are fairly convinced that the 'banana peel' split rifle was actually manually split further for a more dramatic photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Nah, i don't believe its real.

Still gave me the willies all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Just as an anecdote, my own father could tell you that a bit of snow or dirt in a shotgun barrel is more than enough to totally ruin your day. It may not seem like enough Sparks, but it definitely is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Rew wrote: »
    Pretty sure that was a joke and that he knows you couldnt chamber a round in an airsoft rifle.

It's getting a little hard to tell the difference between the "jokes" and "reality".

Anyway, the barrel splits in a way that looks as though it had been pre-stressed on those seams (energy folowing the path of least resistance, a descent barrel should have belled and split on one or two lines at most). No doubt that a blocked barrel will cause you no end of suffering but the bannana peel effect is more appropriate to Elmer Fudd.

Edit: Its also suspicious that they happened to be filming this at precisely the time such a rare bannana-peel rupture happened, dodgy barrel or no.

Just as an anecdote, my own father could tell you that a bit of snow or dirt in a shotgun barrel is more than enough to totally ruin your day. It may not seem like enough Sparks, but it definitely is.
    When you say "a bit" IWM, do you mean "a bit" or do you mean jamming the front eight inches of the barrel with compacted frozen mud? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sparks wrote: »
    When you say "a bit" IWM, do you mean "a bit" or do you mean jamming the front eight inches of the barrel with compacted frozen mud? :D

He didn't force the barrel into anything. Was while grouse shooting, so he thinks is might have dipped into a bit of snow climbing over a tussock; definitely not much in that, but enough to blow out the side of the barrel.

might have dipped into a bit of snow
    No offence, but that does sound a bit like "I might have had a pint officer, why do you ask?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

• Advertisement
Advertisement