Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted horses

Options
  • 15-06-2009 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭

Are people giving away horses because they can't afford to keep them?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Horses are being tied to factory railings because people can no longer afford them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Definitely. Id say the ispca are taking in loads...if your looking for a cheap racehorse there's the place to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

There was a 3 yo pony given away for nothing in the bar the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Horses and foals left behind at sales, very sad to see..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

How can people do that kind of stuff :mad:
    Sure, they are trying to get by themselves, and may not be able to afford horses, but abandoning them? That's just horrible. The least they could do, is make a good effort to seek out someone who will take their horses in, or hand them over to a shelter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ironia

are these horses going to slaughter if nobody takes them? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

ironia wrote: »
    are these horses going to slaughter if nobody takes them? :eek:
    I imagien it depends where they are abandoned, and what shelter takes them in. I imagine most shelters will hold onto them though? Or at very most, euthanise them? I couldnt be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Unfortunately these types of situations were always on the cards... When people had a little cash to spare they splashed out without giving any thought to what would/could happen if they lost their job/situation changed, etc. and now they find themselves in a position whereby they are unable to afford the cost of keeping a horse. Moreover, the fact that there are now so many people wanting to 'offload' their horse(s) there is now a surplus of horses on the market so the prices have fallen and people are only getting a fraction of what they paid for their horse(s). Unfortunately it is leading to some of the extreme situations whereby horses are being left behind at sales or tethered up outsite a factory.

However, I wonder how much these stories have been inflated. I've been hearing constant reports of how difficult it is to book a horse into a factory, yet when my friend went to book in a horse (old and unsound) into the factory, they didn't have to wait for weeks or even days! And when they were down at the factory, they didn't see any horses left outside...

:( I've took some horses from slaughter. one exelent exterior stallion with vobler. he came from big studfarm and they wasn't interested in sick young stallion.
    we bought him cheap and his midicaments was very expensive. but.. after a lot of working with him now he is competing in showjumping and got certificate of stallion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

this is a tricky conversation and people could get into rows very easily. i've heard the stories of factorys been full but like convert i know of people whose horses had to be sent to factorys -injury reasons etc and there was no delay with them in fact they were gone within a day.

here's a situation, i have a 25 yr old connemara pony who's very bad arthritis, shes at home in the field. but what do you do with animals like that?

also, you have to remember some people make a living out of slaughtering horses. nothing against them personally.. their just making a living..

some people may say its no different from a farmer and his cattle/sheep or whatever..

• Advertisement

Wicked wrote: »
    here's a situation, i have a 25 yr old connemara pony who's very bad arthritis, shes at home in the field. but what do you do with animals like that?

I think it depends of how bad is she feeling. if pony can walk as well, has good shiny coat and not skiny, she can lives with her artrithis as long as it doesn't heart her.
    if she better fells in sleeping or standing without walking, don't eat as well and is sad, think is the best for her to be putted down.

we have 25y.o. scottish pony rescued from gipsey. after very long process of laminitis his hoof was 30cm long each.
    first I told, we have to put him down, he cant normally walk, his front legs are deformed. we've tried to make surgery, but it doesn't helped.
    in our stabe he is already 3years. he is still ugly, but he is fat and feels as stallion. owner gived him lifebread, he can walk in garden and do what he wants.
    in my opinion it was reason to put him down 3years ago, but not now. he is looking freaky, but he can also run in paddock with his ugly legs. he will stay alive until he feels good.

14815_normal.jpg after cutted hoofs and first surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Same As

Glue factory...?

do you feel good when you eat salami or use glue and think that it can be your horsey ? no.
    I I have to put horse down, I better ask vet to put him softly sleep and after they burn them (or what they do?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Same As

ironia wrote: »
    do you feel good when you eat salami or use glue and think that it can be your horsey ? no.
    I I have to put horse down, I better ask vet to put him softly sleep and after they burn them (or what they do?)

I actually quite enjoy Salami?

I like dry sausage, looks like salami, but real italian salami I didn't like. I've lived in Milano, they all eat salami, but they also say, that horse's meat are only in red sausage and it is quet fat and red. you can never be sure,that you buy it with horse meat if it is cheap, but I choos to think about taste, not about horse..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

horse meat is fed to the lions in Dublin zoo.

:( this is a cyrcle of life..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

What is vobler or do you mean wobbler ironia?

What is vobler or do you mean wobbler ironia?
    exactly.
    as I know in Finland if they found Wobbler, they allways put down horses. we made risk with this one.

There is a school of thought that wobblers syndrome (equine wobblers anemia to be exact) has links to being hereditary. Do you know exactly which one this stallion has?

• Advertisement

oh.. I am not sure.
    when we took him. he was not stabil on his legs.
    if easy push him he almost felt down.
    gave E vitamins a lot and standing in box for year.
    also we took Needle therapy course for him. and after it started walking, than put him free in paddock.
    when he get 5 years old. I started to work with him from ground. but when put saddle and try to push my weigt on one side of him in saddle, he felt down almost.
    before doing it I put his legs wide, and tried again. much better.
    once we felt dowh together and I got 2nd trauma of my back. month I was in bad, and after it again started working grom ground.
    normally riding we started after 6month working from ground.
    after 8month started jumping under saddle (he was jumpims as well free with exellent tecshnics)

his breeders are shocked about his health, and want to buy him back. not for sale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Much better to send horses to a factory than leave them neglected in the field. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with slaughter, once its done humanely.

I took on a horse recently who was on his way to the factory. Beautiful animal with a super temperament.

Tell us about him fits, do you still have Duchess?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I do. New guy was acquired on the spur of the moment. Beautiful 9 year old tb who stands at close to 17 hh. He has one of the nicest temperaments I've encountered in any horse. Not done much with him so far besides hacking out. But the arrival of my new box on Monday should change that... wahey! :D

He sounds gorgeous! what are you going to do with him?

Advertisement