Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lets build a new prison

• 15-06-2009 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

i'm sick and tired of hearing the sh1te on the news and the radio about mountjoy being overcrowded, prisoners being beaten to death over televisions (as if they should even have them), mobile phones, riots and all that BS. Not to mention the sh1tty sentences that people get for unspeakable crimes in this country.

So now, I'd like to hear what your ideas would be to solve the prison crisis.

I propose the following:

We choose an island.
    We build four walls and one roof. Like a warehouse.
    We simply put the prisoners inside. No amenities such as gyms - fooked if I can afford one, why should some rapist get one for free?
    Give them books instead of TVs to fight over.
    All the officers should have tasers or something along those lines.

Everytime some scummer gets convicted of a crime against the person (rape, murder, assault of any kind, robbery etc.) we simply send them in, and inform the other inmates of what the next guy in did. let them all suffer as their victims did. None of that protecting paedos and rapists from the general population rubbish.

when you get ten years, you.serve.ten.years. If you decide to re-offend and come back, you stay for good.

Anyway, sorry for the waffle, I've just had it to the back teeth hearing this rubbish on the radio about "low-risk sex offenders" and "58 previous convictions", we need to take a hard line on the scum in this country, make the fookers terrified to commit crimes.

and yes, i did recently watch papillon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

good idea I hear there's a building boom going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm sure that the Justice Department would like nothing more, but those pesky do-gooders in the Hague will no doubt kick up a fuss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

we should just lock the doors of Dail Eireann, that should keep a few scumbags off the street...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

genericguy wrote: »
    So now, I'd like to hear what your ideas would be to solve the prison crisis.

I propose the following:

We choose an island.

Lets call it Australia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

There's plans to build a new super prison, but it's been halted due to cut backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Or was that hold ups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

There's plans to build a new super prison, but it's been halted due to cut backs.

yes, because the taxpayer can't really afford 400 pool tables, a bowling alley, a cinema and ben dunne would charge a fortune to put in a health centre.

4 walls and a roof wouldn't cost half the price of that poxy harp-shaped bridge, and ffs why not get the bastards currently in mountjoy out doing the labouring??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Career criminals goto prison for a weekend away.

If I was a billionaire I'd build a prison in Roscommon, have forced labor and I'd give the fukkers pool tables but I'd take one ball from every set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

If I was a billionaire I'd build a prison in Roscommon, have forced labor and I'd give the fukkers pool tables but I'd take one ball from every set.

if you'd be willing to put said ball into a sock and beat the snot out of misbehaved prisoners, you're hired!

Put them all on an Island with no way off and drop a shed load of weapons from the air right in the middle of them.
    Then forget they exist.
    /cos they wouldn't exist for long.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Battle Royale anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

By the time it is built we will need a super duper prison.

Battle Royale anyone?
    Some of them should be swinging from ropes instead of going over them.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

You know I could fix Ireland's crime problem and prison overcrowding problem in a matter of weeks maybe days. All I need is addresses to every criminal's home, my own car, a combat Sniper rifle with a Supressor on it, an M16A1, a Glock 17, Night vision goggles, a Sneaking suit like the one Solid Snake wears, the one from MGS1, a Balaclava, a safehouse in all four Provinces of Ireland with tunnel access to each that lead all over the Provinces and 100,000 euro. If I got all of these i'll make Ireland a safer place to live.

But if you don't want my help then my only advise is to enforce harsher measures, such as reintroduce the dealth penalty and corporal punishment for prisons. If these prisioner are to act like animals then we should treat them like animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Theres already a massive prison in Castlerea Co Roscommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

there is already one prison in roscommon, we don't need another :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Riddle101 wrote: »
    You know I could fix Ireland's crime problem and prison overcrowding problem in a matter of weeks maybe days. All I need is addresses to every criminal's home, my own car, a combat Sniper rifle with a Supressor on it, an M16A1, a Glock 17, Night vision goggles, a Sneaking suit like the one Solid Snake wears, the one from MGS1, a Balaclava, a safehouse in all four Provinces of Ireland with tunnel access to each that lead all over the Provinces and a year supply of food, drink and entertainment to keep me sane from all the crime fighting i'll be doing. You give me all of these things OP, and i'll make Ireland a safer place to live.

I know a Polish guy that'll do it with nothing but a brick and a swan sandwich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Riddle101 wrote: »
    You know I could fix Ireland's crime problem and prison overcrowding problem in a matter of weeks maybe days. All I need is addresses to every criminal's home, my own car, a combat Sniper rifle with a Supressor on it, an M16A1, a Glock 17, Night vision goggles, a Sneaking suit like the one Solid Snake wears, the one from MGS1, a Balaclava, a safehouse in all four Provinces of Ireland with tunnel access to each that lead all over the Provinces and 100,000 euro. If I got all of these i'll make Ireland a safer place to live.

By giving them jobs building the tunnel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Never mind cut backs etc, re-open spike island. Its already built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

I know a Polish guy that'll do it with nothing but a brick and a swan sandwich

just don't let him plumb it.

Edit: hmmm maybe I should read the post I'm replying to, that had no relevance. ah well.

• Advertisement

Theres already a massive prison in Castlerea Co Roscommon.
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    there is already one prison in roscommon, we don't need another :mad:

No you are mistaken, thats the Darndale Hilton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

speaking of disgraceful sentencing, http://www.herald.ie/national-news/courts/actor-wins-appeal-against-threeyear-jail-term-1774256.html

this guy assaulted some guy who later died, he was given three years, then he appeals and will now serve no time in prison, and you got to love this bit from the judges,

'Healy appealed the three-year jail term and today the three-judge Court of Criminal Appeal said the judge had acted incorrectly in sentencing and found that there was no intention on Healy's part to cause serious harm'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

i have been to mountjoy (not for criminal offences lol) and the female one across the road.....

one thing is the female one is savage they have everything,
    * a fully fitted gym and trainers come in etc...
    *hairdressing etc... and every other course under tthe sun...a computer class that costs the average person a grand
    *housing (like apartments, ensuites in every room)
    *lawns/ gardens/ two dogs
    free roaming within hours.

built a couple of years ago

the male pison is.... a sh^*hole
    *tiny rooms
    *buckets for toilets
    *let out an hour a day some days
    *no courses really

bit sexist really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

No you are mistaken, thats the Darndale Hilton.

i wish the families of its occupants were like those that check into the hilton :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Prisons..... meh just hang em and get it over and done with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

genericguy wrote: »
    and yes, i did recently watch papillon.

yet, somehow, i don't think you 'got' it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

we'd be better off having prisons as centres for rehabilitation rather than punishment.

we'd be better off having prisons as centres for rehabilitation rather than punishment.

Ridiculous,

Prison is currently not even close to being a punishment in Ireland...lets try making it a punishment first and then we'll talk about rehab.

Ever watch the documentaries on tent city in California where all the inmates wear pink, work on chain gangs and every single one of them says after they get released they'll do whatever is necessary not to go back there, obviously you'll take those statements with a pinch of salt but as a prison being a deterrent its mission accomplished.

The fact that prisoners even have a standard of living makes me sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Here's an idea. Block off a reasonably large section of the sewers with concrete. Throw the worst criminals in to ease the overcrowding. Food gets thrown down every fortnight. During the feeding, anyone who tries to climb out gets a swinging kick in the jaw. That's pretty much it. Maybe give them a rubix cube.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I think that they should use all the cameras in Mountjoy Prison to make a new TV show.

Sort of like Big Brother meets Oz meets Fair City...

Advertisement