Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going camping, questions?

Options
  • 15-06-2009 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

We've decided to go camping, but iv a few questions. Iv been all over ireland camping up until 2 year ago. But my tent is one of the old big family one's and not practical for just myself and girlfriend. Iv been looking at the one's in argos. 2 or 4 person ones. Are the one's in argos any good? It says nothin on how waterproof they are. Also she is not originally from here, we were planning on going to roundwood in wicklow because she loves wicklow but now she thinks it would be nice to go dingle, westport or kilkee. We love walking the mountains and visiting historic sights etc, although the rigorous walks are out, due to her being pregnant now. Any suggestions of campsights with lots to do and see around in said area's would be great. Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

I was camping in Redcross in Wicklow recently. It's a lovely campsite. Great facilities, shop, pub and chip shop all just outside the campsite.
    http://www.rivervalleypark.com/
    Very close to Avoca, Brittas Bay and all the mountains in Wicklow.

I'm sure someone else will advise you on tents. I would think one from a camping shop would give you a better tent for the same money as one from Argos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Yes i was also looking at that one. Seems very nice. One of them has a 'secret garden' its called. Wil check that website again. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭finbarrk

There is a couple of good campsites in Doolin, Co. Clare. A nice area for walks, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Got a two man tent in Army Bargins (off Capel Street, at the street next to the AIB branch) for €20. There was a 4 man tent for €40. The 4 man tent would suit you, as it's a case of you + your stuff.

82943.JPG

As seen in the picture, the tent is made up of two sections. The internal section, and the external section. Helps keep the inside warmer I've found with tents of the same design. Also, there's a lip. Important in Ireland, as if there's a bit of a puddle outside, the lip will keep you try. No lip, and the puddle may go inside your tent. The poles in the tent are on the outside, so no poles in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Smileyx

I used to work in an outdoor shop. I'd recommend a Gelert Eiger 4. It's just your really basic, one
    room tent. I have one myself. It’s extremely waterproof and simple to put up. Or you could go for one of their pop up models. They only have one skin/layer though and I’d advise practising putting it down- took me a few times to get it…but there’s a video online to show you how to do it.
    I wouldn’t advise taking an air mattress if you consider an Eiger 4. There’s little room left after one of those. Hmm, but if you’re driving there, you can keep the stuff in your car.
    We should the Eiger 4 at €79 but the shop was a complete rip off. Yous should get it in Args for cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Thanks guys, were planning on goin to the burren, then stayin in doolin, then going to travel down to kilkee, tralee, ending in dingle. Looking at tents tomorrow. Thanks very much, wil let you's know how i get on.

Advertisement