Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you buy a stolen recovered car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

If it all checks out and the car is in good order then I see no problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Buffman

Car looks pretty clean in the photos, no major damage visible. Probably stolen with the keys as the result of a house burglary. If the price was right I'd have no issues with buying it.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

If it's at the right money, yes I would.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its the "unknown" that was putting me off really! I left that one, nice motor though I have to say!

Thanks lads.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

How much cheaper is it than a non stolen one? If it's on the register I'd be looking for 25% off the book at least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I know what your saying. Nice motor though, worth a fair few pound over here!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

stolen recovered doesn't mean the car was treated badly or damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would buy a stolen recovered if at the right price. If importing I would have to be sure I could convince revenue that it should have a lower omsp than normal. Now seeing as they dont reduce omsp for a damaged car, I cant see them doing it for a stolen recovered so importing one to ireland would probably end up costing you too much. Typically you would be able to buy stolen recovered in uk for 75% of market value. Thats fine. If you then pay full vrt, the car could end up costing you 85 to 90% of market value and that would be foolish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Not a chance I'd buy a stolen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

as he runs to computer to make a bid :P:D

Dont think it would bother me to be honest...Ah good car is a good car. Just check it out like you would any car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Stolen recovered cars, can be a great way to get a good car a a great price, I wouldn't buy one off auction.. I would want to see it and have it checked out, to make sure it is all in order.
    they are plenty of companies in the Uk that do a lot of stolen recovered units,
    a friend of mine a few years ago bought a stolen recovered Aston Martin DB7
    he got it for less than 50% of the open market selling price of similar aged cars... he has had it now for a few years and has been no problems to him.

if you are thinking of going down this road, check out some UK sites, make sure all the paperwork is in order, have the car throughly checked by a mechanic, do your car check for finance and other bits... if it is all good and the numbers work out, then no reason why not...

A lot of high end cars are stolen to order, so they are not damaged or abused in any way.... usually stolen, and stored for export or breaking...
    these are the ones you want...

• Advertisement

Saab Ed - its sold ya cheeky fecker. :)

Thanks for the info lads, any sites which would sell these? maybe the bca group might?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

yop wrote: »
    Saab Ed - its sold ya cheeky fecker. :)

Thanks for the info lads, any sites which would sell these? maybe the bca group might?

Autotrader is full of this stuff every week..............Mind you I dont need to look anymore:D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Reselling one here later might be problematic? A simple HPI check on the old reg. would reveal all.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Autotrader is full of this stuff every week..............Mind you I dont need to look anymore:D:D

U get yourself a free one ;)

Thats true Henry good point. It maybe hard enough to shift a 2.2 Diesel with 800 spots road tax, thats the only concern I have about the car full stop.

Maybe buying a blue one like that might be the only way of getting a sale in the future. Black or grey/silver wont cat the eye as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Tell ya one thing - wouldn't mind that jag at €1.5k. Less than an hour left!

Advertisement