Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry Powder

Options
  • 15-06-2009 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi Guysm So Im starting to give Chicken Curry a try without the rice or maybe brown rice. I have used Knorr & Mcdougals curry powder which I would make using boiled water but its way to watery? Does anyone know how i could combat this and make it more thick.
    Or should I use a curry sauce like uncle bens which comes in a jar complete with veg?

Also is brown rice bad for you?? would i be aswell not having any with my chicken currys. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

It's not that brown rice is bad for you, it's just that it packs a lot of calories without a big nutritional payoff. Better than white rice, but nothing like as good as a big pile of veggies.

If you are doing endurance sports, then brown rice is brilliant. If you want to lose a lot of bodyfat, then you need to cut way back on it. Most people do not know what a proper portion of rice or pasta looks like.

Use less liquid when you are making your sauce. You can always add more, it's harder to take it out. Packet sauces usually have a ton of sugar added, but read the ingredients and nutrition panel to be sure.

Or better still, don't make the sauce separately, cook the chicken and the curry spices together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use Sharwoods Medium curry powder, it has a really good flavour. I add flour to the pan after frying everything off and before adding the stock etc. Here's my recipe if you're interested:

CHICKEN CURRY
    Diced chicken fillets (one per person)
    3-4 onions
    1 Large carrot or 1 red or yellow pepper, sliced
    2 Cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 dessertspoon of flour
    3 tablespoons of medium curry powder
    1 pint of hot water
    1 chicken stock cube
    1 Tablespoon of mango chutney
    1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
    1 Tablespoon of tomato purée
    Oil for frying
    Fry the onion and carrot or pepper in oil over a low heat until soft. Add the garlic and fry for a minute, then turn up the heat and add the chicken and fry until sealed.
    Turn the heat down low and add the curry powder, cook for a few minutes. Sprinkle on the flour and stir until it’s absorbed. Then add the stock and stir well. Add the chutney, tomato puree and lemon juice and bring back to the boil. Simmer for around ½ hour. If it reduces too much, add some hot water, if it’s too thin turn up the heat and it will reduce.
    Serve with some mango chutney on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Bols curry powder - what the Indians themselves use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

dudara wrote: »
    Bols curry powder - what the Indians themselves use.

Where can you buy this? At the moment I use separate spices and crush them after roasting. I start by frying a green chili, some root ginger and a few cloves of garlic in groundnut oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think that I got my tub in the Asian Market on Drury Street. You can get two heat levels - regular and hot.

it's a great standard curry powder to have in the press rather than making a specific spice blend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement