Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people not *THINK* before buying an animal?

Options
  • 16-06-2009 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Take the below ad for example.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/920472

14 week old puppy for sale. Pups generally leave the breeder at 8 weeks so this puppy has most likely been in his new home for about 6 weeks and he is for sale because "I am emigrating to Belgium for 2 years to finish my studies at college."

Now, no college turns around to a student and tells them "Pack your bags you're off to Belgium in the morning". You generally know about these things months in advance, usually before you even start the course!

Another one I hate is "I have to sell my 10 week old puppy cos I'm having a baby next month" etc. Didn't it occur to you BEFORE buying the puppy that you are about 7 months pregnant and might not have time for a newborn baby and a puppy at the same time?

It just annoys me, is all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

Your not alone. Things like that annoy me too! It seems often that puppies are an impulse buy and then reality sets in!!!
    That little guy in the ad is gorgeous! Hope he gets a good home :) ive heard of a labradoodle but never a goldendoodle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Suzannem

I agree with you it is very annoying, it such a selfish impulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Unfortunately as there's not much in the way of regulating the person buying a dog any idiot can apparently purchase one without too many questions asked.

It's a shame though for the dogs. Hopefully though he might get a better home out if it instead of being stuck with the seller.

Although it doesn't give me too much confidence that he will vet anyone as
    first to see will buy
    whatever happened to 'good homes only' ?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

i work in a pet shop, i find that most of my day is people going... "whats that?? lets get it! its cute." then i run the cost of accessories, vet bills etc, the size of the animal and their responsibility to it past them. and yet some people will still try and buy a hamster in the smallest cage possible with no toys. thank god we are allowed refuse service.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Moved to Welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Good on you for letting them know the full cost, I find people seem to go in and try to buy the smallest cage possible so it won't take up space in the house. Would be great if there was a compulsary waiting list for people if they want to buy a smallie, they put their name down in the shop on the Monday and are allowed to come in on the Friday that could rule out at least a few of the impulsive buyers wouldn't sort the problem out altogether but would perhaps rule out a few people who would most likely change their mind after a week anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

There is a waiting period in some places. My stepdad brought my daughter out to buy some fish a couple of months ago, but the shop would only sell them the equipment we then had to return 48 hours later with a water sample from the tank to ensure it was suitable for the fish. Unfortunately even with doing that one of the fish died the day after we got him home. My poor daughter cried for hours.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I kind of think with some of these ads, like the 12 week old puppy with owners emigrating, maybe it is a breeder and they couldn't sell the puppy so they're making up some story as to why they still have it . . .

But yeah people don't think before getting a pet at all . . .

When I was selling my baby rabbits, I mostly gave them to people who'd had rabbits before, but one woman rang me up knowing nothing at all about rabbits. She asked me loads of questions and I wrote a care sheet about them for her. She seemed so interested and was asking so many questions that I knew it'd be a good home (and it is! they built him a huge hutch and feed him really well on loads on fresh food and let him run around the garden). But any breeder could just have given her the rabbit and said "yeah it's fine to live in a small hutch, and just feed it dry food and carrots" . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

And we were in a pet shop one day, and someone I know asked the guy working there about how to care for the tortoise there (she was really interested in getting one) and he just refused to tell her anything (he obviously didn't know because he didn't have the right set up). Most pet shops obviously don't care.

I'm glad to hear Chiaki's shop do care though.

And Maxi Zoo are good, because I went in buying guinea pig and rabbit food one day, and was asking them about food, and they obviously thought I had just gotten the rabbits and guinea pigs because they were telling me how they can't eat the same food and can't live together and need hay and everything, though I already know that. But it's nice to see them taking an interest and knowing what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Getting rid of the pet because of the impending arrival of a baby just drives me nuts, particularily when they get the dog while pregnant, I mean seriously?

I'm not saying it's easy having a brand new baby and dealing with your pets but it can be done. I recently had a baby and with 6 dogs, 2 rabbits and 2 sheep I can tell you it's bloody hard work, I was lucky my friends helped us out for the first month helping walk the dogs, and I did a massive amount of re-training with the dogs with a baby in mind so the transition would be as smooth as possible. I couldn't imagine giving up my newest dog, I only had her a month when I found out I was pregnant, never mind the ones I'd had 11 years! How do you give up a pet you've had years without blinking? All cos there's a baby on the way? Can't understand it. I'd love to see the stats on numbers of pets in rescue due to the arrival of babies....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Poor dog, really cannot understand why some people get animals. Another one that annoys me is somebody selling a big dog like a rottie or lab because 'its gotten too big' or 'the garden/house is too small', what do they expect when they buy a big dog like a rottie or lab, that he'l miraculously have some growth stunt that renders him a dwarf for the rest of his life? :mad: I also hate that 'first to see will buy' slogan, its not a car your selling FFS its a living breathing animal. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Well it's reassuring to see that some pet shops do actually give good advice! I can't tell you how many small furries I've seen that are sick because of poor diet or poor husbandry becuase their owners simply don't know any better (and haven't done any research on their own either). I wish people looked at pet ownership as a privilege, not a right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Dee_animallover

Oh dont get me started on this :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

There seriously needs to be a better system for owning pets. You should have to apply for a licence BEFORE you even get one and I think they should be more expensive - it might deter some of these eejits from getting a pet on a whim.

Getting rid of the pet because of the impending arrival of a baby just drives me nuts, particularily when they get the dog while pregnant, I mean seriously?

I'm not saying it's easy having a brand new baby and dealing with your pets but it can be done. I recently had a baby and with 6 dogs, 2 rabbits and 2 sheep I can tell you it's bloody hard work, I was lucky my friends helped us out for the first month helping walk the dogs, and I did a massive amount of re-training with the dogs with a baby in mind so the transition would be as smooth as possible. I couldn't imagine giving up my newest dog, I only had her a month when I found out I was pregnant, never mind the ones I'd had 11 years! How do you give up a pet you've had years without blinking? All cos there's a baby on the way? Can't understand it. I'd love to see the stats on numbers of pets in rescue due to the arrival of babies....

Fair play to you missus :) Its really refreshing to hear it from someone who has a baby and lots of animals. We have 2 dogs and 3 cats and the amount of people that have said to me "oh you'll have to get rid of them all if you have a baby" :mad::mad::mad::mad: Sure its hard work but what about it? Its not IMPOSSIBLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I get phone calls like that nearly every week. Baby due next week, imigrating tomorrow etc pp. And it's getting worse, ALOT worse.

Best one yet:

"Hi, I'm Dano but they call me Speed. I'm up in court tomorrow and I will go down, when can you pick up my two Pits?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

EGAR wrote: »
    I get phone calls like that nearly every week. Baby due next week, imigrating tomorrow etc pp. And it's getting worse, ALOT worse.

Best one yet:

"Hi, I'm Dano but they call me Speed. I'm up in court tomorrow and I will go down, when can you pick up my two Pits?"

"slap forehead with hand".....:mad::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

morganafay wrote: »
    I kind of think with some of these ads, like the 12 week old puppy with owners emigrating, maybe it is a breeder and they couldn't sell the puppy so they're making up some story as to why they still have it . . .

But yeah people don't think before getting a pet at all . . .

When I was selling my baby rabbits, I mostly gave them to people who'd had rabbits before, but one woman rang me up knowing nothing at all about rabbits. She asked me loads of questions and I wrote a care sheet about them for her. She seemed so interested and was asking so many questions that I knew it'd be a good home (and it is! they built him a huge hutch and feed him really well on loads on fresh food and let him run around the garden). But any breeder could just have given her the rabbit and said "yeah it's fine to live in a small hutch, and just feed it dry food and carrots" . . .

There's a lot of scam ads for puppies as well. Olx.ie is full of ads offering purebred puppies for €90. Then then engage you in an email conversation checking out your 'suitability' before assuring you that you are just the person they want to take their pup. Then the tell you they live at the opposite end of the country from you and that they will organise a 'pet courier' company to bring you the pet and the €90 is to pay the pet company. I wish there was someway to follow up and find these people and prosecute them. I know you'd want to be pretty thick to fall for it but thick people have feelings too!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I have a Cavalier King Charles since 10th of november last year. The breeder sold her to me when she was seven weeks old (just a few days of 8 weeks though) and she was swollen with worms. The first thing I done was gave her worm dose that I bought in the local pet shop , but it didnt help so I went to the Vets after waiting two days to see if it helped and got a good all round worm dose. The new vets worm dose started working within 24 hours. Now she seems to be a bit small for a 10 month old Cavalier King Charles. I just hope she doesnt get SM. What I am trying to say is some breeders are almost as bad as those who you guys are complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

EGAR wrote: »
    Best one yet:

at least he did not try and sell them or dump them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

the worst i see is people buying parrots as a novelty pet becuase parrots require quite a bit of attention and love. People who work long hours are not able to look after parrots.

Advertisement