Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ummm...didn't you have the blueprints for the nukes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

I bet Kim Jong-il is delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

it seems the intelligence of the world powers is going, chinese people cheatin' in tests and everythin! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I once downloaded plans a nunber of years ago on how to build a nuke (it was for book background research).
    Within 24 hours a recieved a polite email from a department from an American Government agency asking why I downloaded and/or need such information!

Nosey sods!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

They cant remember what makes them detonate?? isn't normally the big red button?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Biggins wrote: »
    I once downloaded plans a nunber of years ago on how to build a nuke (it was for book background research).
    Within 24 hours a recieved a polite email from a department from an American Government agency asking why I downloaded and/or need such information!

Nosey sods!
    http://xkcd.com/576/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Find it very hard to believe that this is true.
    There should be no special material needed to make it reach critical mass, store two pieces of radioactive material, just over half critical mass each, at opposite ends of a reinforced tube, to detonate simply fire the two masses towards the center of tube (using conventional, low power explosives, not strong enough to even destroy the tube) and you have more than critical mass.

Critical mass of enriched plutonium requires a sphere of diameter less than 10cm, so it's not like it's a miniaturization thing either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Find it very hard to believe that this is true.
    There should be no special material needed to make it reach critical mass, store two pieces of radioactive material, just over half critical mass each, at opposite ends of a reinforced tube, to detonate simply fire the two masses towards the center of tube (using conventional, low power explosives, not strong enough to even destroy the tube) and you have more than critical mass.

Critical mass of enriched plutonium requires a sphere of diameter less than 10cm, so it's not like it's a miniaturization thing either.

If only it was that simple Pygmalion.....if only it was that simple...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

I cant see this being true, it says "the issue stems from the “profiteering agenda” of the contractors running Lawrence Livermore and Los Alamos National Laboratory who have “chased out” the experts who knew how to build the bombs"
    If it were true, maybe they could recruit some north korean expert, they seem to remember how to make them blow. Its either misinformation or just total bullix, just bullix if you ask me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hell! Sure I've been on that list a long time now I suspect lol. :D

Aaa yes... I can just hear the sellers calling out on the streets of Dublin now...

"Com' and ged it... Get your Plutonium 235 - 2 fissions to the pound"

"238 all sold outa - get the rest quick!"

"Have a bit of Plutonium 239 - for that little extra sparkle - come and ged it!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I think if it were that simple, then it wouldn't take countries years, billions of dollars, and a lot of smart people in white coats to make a nuke.

There was also the problem that the US's nuclear arsenal as it currently exists is pretty archaic. Some B-61 nukes still in service have vacuum tubes in the fuzing systems, and supplies of spare parts are running out. Apparently nobody makes the things any more.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I found it!

macgyver.jpg

Why don't they just buy some off the Russians? They've got loads of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Senna wrote: »
    They cant remember what makes them detonate?? isn't normally the big red button?

That would be the 'launch' button. Tsk, someone skipped Day 1 of training.

/scratches Senna off list of Evil Henchmen possibilities

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I'd say its the neutron generator they have forgotten how to make.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/nuclear-bomb.htm

Advertisement