Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a gun to Northern Ireland to shoot for a day

Options
  • 16-06-2009 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi, does anybody know the procedure for taking a gun to the North for a days shooting, I have a place to shoot up there now, But I dont want to take my guns over the border without the right paperwork & whats the story if my mate up there wants to shoot down here? Anyone

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

You'll need a PSNI issued Visitor's Permit. Costs £12 & needs to be applied for by your "sponsor", in this case, your friend, residing north of the border.

First thing though is to get yourself your EFP - €uropean Firearms Pass, free from your (friendly) local Garda station.
    You forward your EFP along with copies of your firearms certs to your sponsor who in turn will forward them onto the PSNI, c/w cheque & form 30-38, here.

Exact same proceedure for the UK mainland, just replace PSNI with chosen police force :D.

As for bringing firearms into the Republic......at the moment, he'll have to apply to your local Garda station (assuming that's where he'll be shooting - not in the Garda station now you understand, just in that general area :D) just as you did/we all do. No such thing as a visitor's permit/licence here yet(if ever :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

From the NARGC website, might be of some use.
    NOTE FOR NARGC CLUB MEMBERS TRAVELLING TO THE UK IN THE 2009/2010 SEASON

1. Any person travelling to the UK to shoot, requires a UK Visitors' Permit and this must be issued in advance of arrival.

2. The only documentation which the UK Police require to allow them to issue the Visitor's Permit is the original of the EU Firearms Pass for the Applicant and details of the UK Sponsor. The UK sponsor will, in the normal course of events, be the Shoot Organiser.

3. For travelling through Northern Ireland to the UK, an additional Transit Permit is required from the PSNI. For the Transit Permit, the same requirements as for a UK Visitors' Permit apply i.e. EU Pass and a Northern Ireland resident as a Sponsor.

4. The EU Firearms Pass may be obtained from any Garda Station, free of charge. The Applicant should submit photocopies of all Firearms Certificates held together with two Passport sized photographs (head and shoulders).

5. The EU Firearms Pass can be issued for a period of two years and may be applied for at any time.

Therefore, application for an up-to-date EU Pass (where none is currently held) can be made now and sent to the UK with the application for the UK Visitors' Permit. If an EU Pass is expiring in say, August, there is nothing to stop a new one being applied for now.

Advertisement