Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote yes, sure you can trust all politicians..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

ok, the original post was nonsensical

but people can join whenever and have any political allegiance, or none.

K-9 wrote: »
    Can't see Cameron in a rush to hold it either if he PM.

he said he would, with conditions, and s attacking brown who said he would and he didn't

i am sure cameron does not want his party to collapse and be eternally discredited by going back on his word

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

he said he would, with conditions, and s attacking brown who said he would and he didn't

i am sure cameron does not want his party to collapse and be eternally discredited by going back on his word

He risks splitting his party just by holding one.

Europe is usually high in UK matters around EU election time, but a small issue come General Election time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

Can't see Cameron in a rush to hold it either if he was PM.

Not alone does he promise to hold a referrendum, but he promises to scrap the Lisbon Treaty if elected. (if there was to be an early election, which it doesnt look like now)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2009/0114/1231738222173.html

• Advertisement

Not alone does he promise to hold a referrendum, but he promises to scrap the Lisbon Treaty if elected. (if there was to be an early election, which it doesnt look like now)

I've no doubt that is his policy in opposition, but the politics of Govt. may change that. Newsnight did a piece about it a few weeks back quoting Tory sources along the same lines. It isn't clear cut is all I'm saying.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

He risks splitting his party just by holding one.

Europe is usually high in UK matters around EU election time, but a small issue come General Election time.

he promised the vote - his party knows this.

have you any qoutes or sources for anyone who has come out against his proposal...?

I've no doubt that is his policy in opposition, but the politics of Govt. may change that. Newsnight did a piece about it a few weeks back quoting Tory sources along the same lines. It isn't clear cut is all I'm saying.

well he wont have a govt for long then will he

he promised the vote - his party knows this.

have you any qoutes or sources for anyone who has come out against his proposal...?

Well a Newsnight piece a few weeks back. I don't think its a huge stretch given Tory history to say the party could be split if it came to it in Govt.

Is it not too big of an election issue to do a turn-around if the conservatives were voted in? The credability of the whole party would then, surely be in out the window, as the whole world looks on?

A decision to hold a referendum in Britain in October would cause a major headache for the Irish Government.A Conservative-led No campaign in Britain would play havoc with an Irish Yes campaign.

The question is, would Gordon Brown be voted out if there were to be a general election soon?

• Advertisement

it could split

but he won have any credibilty if he doesnt run the vote, should the stipulations he stated not be met or wrapped up before then

The question is, would Gordon Brown be voted out if there were to be a general election soon?

going on the eu polls - very much so

but, that was eu elections and not mp elections - but it would make the likelihood of them being voted very very high

Then.... would the Irish voter feel more confident in voting out the Lisbon Treaty, knowing that it would be voted against by our G8 neighbour, England, and we wouldnt be going to the polls in splendid isolation... I think it would change many Irish minds.

That coupled with the fact that Poland and the Czech Rep havent yet signed the treaty, and wont do so until they watch the outcome of the Irish vote, and .... whats unlikely to happen now, an early general election in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

what relevance does this have?

Your trying to draw people in with your "Im objective and look what Ive found thats bad, maybe we should vote no" stance. Its becoming increasingly obvious you had your mind up a long, long time ago.

okay

you can believe i am a magical princess fairy from the land of jamaraquay should you so believe............

========================
    dont use qoutes - if they arent qoutes
    ie - ''you are a liar'' - who said that no one - so dont use qoutes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

What are you on about? I quoted one of your posts, click the little arrow right of you name and it will link to the post I quoted from.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

turgon wrote: »
    Your trying to draw people in with your "Im objective and look what Ive found thats bad, maybe we should vote no" stance. Its becoming increasingly obvious you had your mind up a long, long time ago.

I don't think that's actually the case - I think conchubar1 is being entirely honest about his position and his doubts.

Either way, I'm going to ask both of you to put down the weapons and take a deep breath.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

turgon wrote: »

where did i say the above - or even hint at it

I am sorry for repeating myself here, but I feel that this is an important point from which I had little feedback (2 other boardies).

'A decision to hold a referendum in Britain in October would cause a major headache for the Irish Government. A Conservative-led No campaign in Britain could play havoc with an Irish Yes campaign.'

and

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8078637.stm

My question was this:

...would the Irish voter feel more confident voting 'No' to the Lisbon Treaty, knowing that it was being voted against by our G8 neighbour, England (which would likely happen if there was a change of government), and we wouldnt be going to the polls in splendid isolation... I think it would change many Irish minds. No longer would we be like a lamb to the slaughter.

That coupled with the fact that Poland and the Czech Rep havent yet signed the treaty, and wont do so until they watch the outcome of the Irish vote, and .... whats unlikely to happen now, an early general election in the UK

*I posted this again as I thought it may have become lost in the thread (maybe I should start a new thread)*

where did i say the above - or even hint at it

Ahem.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

we should vote on the treaty - and the treaty alone

altho - if more people knew the above they wouldn't for yes on the lies of '' europe has done a lot for us, don't make it sad and angry''

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I am sorry for repeating myself here, but I feel that this is an important point from which I had little feedback (2 other boardies).

'A decision to hold a referendum in Britain in October would cause a major headache for the Irish Government. A Conservative-led No campaign in Britain could play havoc with an Irish Yes campaign.'

and

My question was this:

...would the Irish voter feel more confident voting 'No' to the Lisbon Treaty, knowing that it was being voted against by our G8 neighbour, England (which would likely happen if there was a change of government), and we wouldnt be going to the polls in splendid isolation... I think it would change many Irish minds. No longer would we be like a lamb to the slaughter.

*I posted this again as I thought it may have become lost in the thread (maybe I should start a new thread)*

You'd have to ask someone who is planning to vote 'yes' because they don't want us to be the only country voting 'no'. I don't know that many of the active posters in this forum are planning to do that, if any. So you may not get an answer to your question, because you may be asking it of someone who doesn't exist.

and

My question was this:

If one genuinely believes that the UK will kill the Treaty, and one also believes that there would be some kind of 'EU revenge' if we kill the Treaty, then one should surely leave it to the UK to do it.

Frankly, I think the Tories are engaged in pure political stuntwork here. If we vote Yes, then the Czechs will ratify, as will the Poles. There's really very evidence to suggest that the German courts will have to overturn the German ratification, so Cameron's promise is essentially based entirely on the premise of a second Irish No. A second Irish No would kill the treaty anyway, so it's a completely cost-free exercise for the Tories.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

indeed

they know it will be solved before the next general election

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Some interesting wording:
    ...Mr Cameron demanded to know why Irish voters were “being forced to give their views twice” while the British people had not been asked for their opinion once.
    If we have a referendum, we're being forced to give our views. If the UK have a referendum, they're being asked for their opinion.

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Some interesting wording: If we have a referendum, we're being forced to give our views. If the UK have a referendum, they're being asked for their opinion.

Nice.

One eye across the water while he's talking I think. Yes British Conservative interference in this country has brought nothing but good things in the past of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

oscarBravo wrote:
    If we have a referendum, we're being forced to give our views. If the UK have a referendum, they're being asked for their opinion.

It's not that we're being forced to give our views. It's that we're been forced to give our views a second time. We gave the wrong answer the first time and so we're being put under pressure to give the right one the next time.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

O'Morris wrote: »
    It's not that we're being forced to give our views. It's that we're been forced to give our views a second time.
    Except that we're not. If you don't want to vote again, don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

oscarBravo wrote:
    Except that we're not.

Yes we are. As an electorate we're being forced to give an answer to a question that we already answered.

oscarBravo wrote:
    If you don't want to vote again, don't.

I'm not going to vote a second time. If a man's vote isn't respected the first he gives it, there's no reason to be believe it will be respected the second time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

O'Morris wrote: »
    Yes we are. As an electorate we're being forced to give an answer to a question that we already answered.

I'm not going to vote a second time. If a man's vote isn't respected the first he gives it, there's no reason to be believe it will be respected the second time.
    How many times does this have to be said. People voted no. The government then tried to address some of the concerns of the voters and then put the treaty to the people again. How is this a bad thing?

Advertisement