Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMG that dumpster looks so cosy. (CIT Comedation)

• 16-06-2009 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Ok what I am asking is what options are there for student transport or student accomedations.

I am interested in on campus seems to be more crack and better then gettting a appartment on your own in the furthest corner away from the school

What I am wondering is

What is your accomdiation?

Cost wise cheap expensive?

got a job?

How far away from the college is it?

Is there a on campus accomedation?

Wohoo! if a few of you out there can answer that I would nearly pack my bags tomorrow and go to CIT

These are what bather me the most. So many questions so little time..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I lived in Parchement Square last year. I absolutely hated it. My apartment was pretty sh*t. For the price I was paying anyway. And I just think the whole student accommodation thing isn't my scene. I feel like I've more independence at home.

However, Parchment is significantly cheaper than the other 2 most popular ones this year. There is also Deanshall and Edenhall. They are much nicer, more expensive and a little further away.

Deanshall is the furthest, but it's still only a ten minute walk away, grand. All rooms are ensuite, lovely apartments. Smaller than the average student accommodation complexes. I have friends that lived there and they liked it.

Edenhall is the biggest complex. And the most expensive. Lovely apartments, all ensuite. Just around the corner from Parchment Square. There is a bar in the complex. I worked there for 2 months, hated it. But it's alright craic to go for a drink. Very expensive bar though.

There is another place called Abbeyville across the road from Parchment. Think it's cheaper than the rest, dunno anyone that lived there though. So no info on that!

Anyway, I've got a house on Rossa Avenue for next year, closer to the college than any of the student apartment places, yeehaw!

Oh, there is no official on campus accommodation. More info and links to places here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 maciris

Thanks for the info... do you have a reason to hate the accomedation?

Ok, Do any provide a wifi access?
    Who organises all the accomedations?

to many questions :P sorry just give me a idea of it.

Ok I was looking at the different places and Parchement Square seems to apeal to me. So now I am wondering whats wrong with the place... help?

And thank you for that link that has a link to the accomedation website fantastic!

The idea of student accommodation just doesn't really appeal to me. You are technically not allowed let people stay over and if you have any loud parties you get given out to and (possibly) fined. Plus they have these room checks where they come and see if you place is dirty and if there is so much as a few bits of rubbish on the floor they will fail you. Feel like I'm being babysat. Plus the apartments are really small (and crazy expensive!!), it's like a hotel room. It's nice to have a separate kitchen/sitting room and a garden, that's why a house is for me! But then again, many people love student accommodation.

Parchment is not what it's like on the photos. They assign the first years to old, shabby rooms mostly. The mattresses are just cr*p, carpets are dirty, oven is old, not allowed a TOASTER! I don't mind living in these conditions, it's grand, just not when you are paying that price.

None of the CIT student accommodation place has wifi, it's all Ethernet connections. Internet in Parchement is faster than most other places, it's actually alright. You can't download torrents and stuff. If you are using too much internet it automatically disconnects you. Internet in Edenhall is absolutely hopeless. It even takes ages to check an email! Dunno about the other places..

The accommodations are owned by private companies. You apply for a place on the website or pick up an application form at their offices.

There is an accommodation office in CIT where they give info on accommodation. If you wanna share a house with someone they have a housing list there. The contact email is on the CIT website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'd say I'd be like you Lia, those white walls. Looks like some mental institution and being locked up. Much prefer a house.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I can't understand how people live in those places for 4 years. Get some independence! (And it's Aoife! :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Crap yeah sorry, just noticed on your facebook. Your username is very miss leading...mine is too I guess :p

So going with others on housing would be better?

is it cheaper to go with a house?

So many question... Thanks for your detailed response it seems interesting ...

Yeah, dunno why I chose that username. Was years ago! I was probably scared of pedos on the internet so called myself that so I could have a different identity. Pfft. Oh well!

Do you know other people going to CIT? I'm getting a house with people (or person now...other girl decided not to) I know. I dunno would I get a house with strangers in 1st year. Especially if it's your first time living away from home. Many people go into student accommodation with stranger, I did. Housemates were grand, just a bit boring. Didn't really spend much time with them. But at least you're safe as you have security and shizzle. You'll probably like student accommodation, most people do. But view the place before you book anything. And INSIST they assign you to an apartment that is just like the show apartment. If you parents are with you they will oblige. The Parchment Square office staff (well, the majority of them) are complete cu*ts to students, some of them are ok. But they will listen to parents.

Houses depend. Sometimes they work out a good bit cheaper. Sometimes the same. Remember with a house you usually must pay bills (heating, electricity, internet..) The house I'm getting works out about the same as student accommodation, but it's a really nice house and right beside the college.

Sounds sorted... I think I will go for that place so. But first I will see what my mates are doing if any of them would go for a house with me.. if they done accom will do... it seems ok and advise on setting the parent on them seems really good my dad will slotter them! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement