Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[C&C] Excessively cute kid photos

• 16-06-2009 7:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

I've been trying out some new processing techniques for these to get the most out of natural light (you can find my Lightroom preset here). Is #1 too contrasted, is #2 too soft and is #3 too copper-toned? G'wan, tear me a new one.

run_s.jpg

grin_s.jpg

park1_s.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I like the first one, middle one seems too soft, not sure about processing on the third one...the colour doesn't look right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'll just add another note on processing:

#1 was done by softening the image with my preset, creating a black and white copy and 'folding' it on top of the colour image with Soft Light blending. I dropped the opacity down to 40% or so.

#2 Straight up with my preset.

#3 Not done with my preset at all. I was trying to bring out strong earthy colours from shooting in shade because I felt they suited her more in that instance. I used the Ralph Lauren preset and then used the Colour Mixer in Photoshop to boost colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Cabaal wrote: »
    I like the first one, middle one seems too soft, not sure about processing on the third one...the colour doesn't look right

Same here. Like the first, not too sure about the other two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Love the first two, but the colour in the 3rd just seems a little weird.

Great shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

The only one I really don't like is the second one. Its simultaneously too soft and with too much local contrast, I don't think it really works at all. First one works, I generally like your kid photos, and the processing suits them because most of them have some action element, that kid is always running around the place or making faces so the contrasty vibrant style works. I wouldn't be tempted to apply it to more low key portraits though.

• Advertisement

First one is good, the other two are just freaky to be honest. The kid looks like The Joker in the second one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

<mammy> She's gotten HUGE! and is lovely :D </mammy>

I'd have to agree with the tones of the third, on my monitor it has a slightly green cast? I think they're lovely though. I'd maybe have desaturated the 2nd one a bit. I'm going a bit mad on desaturation recently though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Lovely shots but there doesnt seem to be unity in the colours and this imo takes away from the set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

first one gets my vote. Contrast IMHO is nice but i'd like that style of contrast generally so i'm baised here.

Second is nice but to me the smile is a bit 'cheesy' or forced. The image exif is reporting a focal length of 28mm which will take a normal smile and make it cheesy in terms of the perspective at such close distance. If you examine the third shot - to me the face looks far more natural which although also shot at 28mm (according to exif) has a little distance in there which would appear to be key. Probably safer to shoot 50mm - 100mm for such a shot which also means getting back a lot further.

The third shot itself is more troublesome in terms of the colouring and as such I wouldn't be a fan. Such colouring can work very well in creating an 'urban acid' type of feel to a streetscape but not really for a portrait (just in my opinion).

First one for me is the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I've tweaked and uploaded replacements for the two images in question. I lowered contrast and (slightly) upped image vibrancy for #2 and changed the white balance for #3:

grin_rep_s.jpg

park1_rep_s.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

#1 is cool
    #2 does look soft but something doesn't feel right with it and cant put my finger on it. Will come back to it later
    #3 a no go as looks totally un-natural - might work on a different style of image with that style of colour effect

Great thing about it being a LR preset is that you can tweak it to suit your style of editing and save it as a new preset.

Advertisement