Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting IVF

• 16-06-2009 8:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am starting IVF, have just had the first injection to start the process of downregulating. I am 36.5 and our consultant has told us that they will only transfer 1 embryo due to the IMC recent guidelines on trying to reduce the number of twins born in Ireland.

I am really dissapointed becuase of my age and the expense of IVF, this may be the last chance we have for a child. Has anyone else been told this? Are all clinics following the same guidelines? I thought that for women over 35, it was usual to transfer 2 embryos.

Has anyone been successful with IVF after having 1 transfered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Did you ask them for a hard copy of the guidelines so you can read them yourself and query themif needs be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

having some experience with this im almost certain this legislation is not yet in force, not all of the clinics agree with it, but prehaps your clinic has decided already that this is how they want to do things, personally i feel you have a slightly better chance with 2 embies. though many couples chose to put one back. the very best of luck on your journey.

Where are you undergoing IVF? I'm the same age and will be starting IVF soon with SIMS. When my consultant was explaining the procedure he told me that they will transfer 2 embryos..no mention of any new guidelines.

Hi-this is first I have heard of this-do you mind me asking which clinic? Dont really understand this as clinics in Ireland are not currently regulated and no legislation in place like other countries such as UK and USA re how many embryo's can be transferred.;
    However clinics do follow guidelines from other countries-and I have been with SIMS clinic who wont normally allow more than 2 embryo's to be transferred if you are under 35 but in my case they were willing to consider transferring up to 3 on 3rd cycle as things hadnt gone well up to then. They will allow 3 to be transferred over 35-and also depends on whether its a day 3 or blast embryo.
    As it happened only 1 embryo made it to blast this time and honestly thought stood no chance but am happy to say I am 14wks pregnant this week-so it can work but all depends on your own personal situation-but as I said am really surprised at this.
    Previous cycles had 2 day 3 embryos transferred both times-one ended in mc and other a bfn-so for me its BLAST all the way! Success rate is so much higher than a day 3 embie.

Advertisement