Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico Vs BT

Options
  • 16-06-2009 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been with BT for donkeys years now but have been getting more and more frustrated with them for not upgrading my exchange to 24mb. I'm on the 7.6mb package and have had absolutely no problems with them at all, except that I don't like paying the same as someone who is getting 24mb.

I got an offer in the door from Perlico the other day. It looks pretty good, 3mb for the price of 1mb and a decent phone package chucked in too.

I'm happy to drop down to 3mb, recession and all that :), but having had an absoultely horrid time with UTV previously (I had to go to a solicitor it was that bad!) I am very reluctant to move to any other provider without checking them out first. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

20goto10 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been with BT for donkeys years now but have been getting more and more frustrated with them for not upgrading my exchange to 24mb. I'm on the 7.6mb package and have had absolutely no problems with them at all, except that I don't like paying the same as someone who is getting 24mb.

I got an offer in the door from Perlico the other day. It looks pretty good, 3mb for the price of 1mb and a decent phone package chucked in too.

I'm happy to drop down to 3mb, recession and all that :), but having had an absoultely horrid time with UTV previously (I had to go to a solicitor it was that bad!) I am very reluctant to move to any other provider without checking them out first. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.
    Why, what exchange are you on?

So your not happy that they won't upgrade you from 7.6MB to 24MB but your willing to drop to 3MB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Why, what exchange are you on?

So your not happy that they won't upgrade you from 7.6MB to 24MB but your willing to drop to 3MB?
    Yep I'm happy to drop down to 3mb to save money. My problem with BT is they are charging me the same for an inferior product. Someone on 24mb pays the exact same as me on 7.6mb. If I was to drop down to 3mb with BT then the difference would be even greater. Someone on 24mb is paying the exact same as me on my lil old 3mb. It's a consumer rights issue, I don't understand why there isn't uproar about it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Yep I'm happy to drop down to 3mb to save money. My problem with BT is they are charging me the same for an inferior product. Someone on 24mb pays the exact same as me on 7.6mb. If I was to drop down to 3mb with BT then the difference would be even greater. Someone on 24mb is paying the exact same as me on my lil old 3mb. It's a consumer rights issue, I don't understand why there isn't uproar about it to be honest.
    What exchange are you on? It's actually quite limited the amount of people who get the full 24MB (it's up to) because you need to have a perfect like and have an exchange in your garden :)

cpu-dude wrote: »
    What exchange are you on? It's actually quite limited the amount of people who get the full 24MB (it's up to) because you need to have a perfect like and have an exchange in your garden :)
    I'm on the Sandyford exchange. I know most people do not get full 24mb, but thats beside the point. Even if they only get 15mb they can get that 15mb for the same price as someone on 1mb. Take a look at their pricing and you'll see what I mean. I'd rather take my custom elsewhere than be ripped off, now more than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I'm on the Sandyford exchange. I know most people do not get full 24mb, but thats beside the point. Even if they only get 15mb they can get that 15mb for the same price as someone on 1mb. Take a look at their pricing and you'll see what I mean. I'd rather take my custom elsewhere than be ripped off, now more than ever.

So basically because BT didnt go ahead and upgraded your exchange to 24 mb you are going to move to a different provider even if it means reducing your speed to less than half of what you have?

That sure doesnt sound right but is up to you, I personally think you are looking at things the wrong way, you make it sound like if it was a personal vendetta, so you would have preferred that BT wouldn't have upgraded any of their exchanges rather than a few? to make it fair to everyone?

Anyway, BT resells bitstream to perlico so if you want to teach BT a lesson you should avoid them too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Maybe because there is nothing to complain about. ISPs such as BT, Magnet, Smart have gone through the hassle of leaving Eircom's bitstream monopoly and "building" their own exchanges so they can provide a better service to their customers, of course, there are over 600 exchanges in ireland and it would be impossible to upgrade them all at the same time.

So instead of feeling happy or pleased to see that other people can finally enjoy of a better service you feel you are being ripped off as you werent one of the lucky ones? that's call envy.

I'm looking to cut costs by dropping down to 3mb. Call it envy if you like the fact is you're paying the same price as someone who could potentially have 24x the speed. Thats called a rip off in any book and dress it up all you like by saying they're angels sent down to save Ireland from broadband hell, whatever you like. A rip off is a rip off.

Rather than people on 24mb paying more how about the rest of us pay less? Pay less for an inferior product or pay more for a superior product, whatever way you want to look at it.

I'm looking to cut costs by dropping down to 3mb. Call it envy if you like the fact is you're paying the same price as someone who could potentially have 24x the speed. Thats called a rip off in any book and dress it up all you like by saying they're angels sent down to save Ireland from broadband hell, whatever you like. A rip off is a rip off.

Rather than people on 24mb paying more how about the rest of us pay less? Pay less for an inferior product or pay more for a superior product, whatever way you want to look at it.

Yeap, sounds like envy. Just remember you are not paying more, you are paying the same that you were paying 3 years ago, and so is BT to Eircom, or do you think that Eircom wholesale has lowered their package prices. BT, Perlico, Smart and all ISPs are already on the limit and barely making any profit when regards Bitstream, as they cannot make money from it some decided to go ahead and built their own equipment on exchanges across the country, so they can provide better services to their customers.

Anyway, I personally dont see it the way you do, I feel happy for those customers who can enjoy those services, but that's just me of course.

The list of ISPs suitable for you will be very limited though if you want to follow your believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The only difference between BT and Perlico for me was BT were incompetant to the point I tried 3 times to become a customer of theirs for both phone and broadand (had their broadband) and all three times they lost my application details?
    Perlico took a matter of minutes and I never have a problem getting through to them if I have a query about something.

BT have better speeds etc but Perlico were able to make me a customer.

Praetor wrote: »
    Yeap, sounds like envy. Just remember you are not paying more, you are paying the same that you were paying 3 years ago
    Thats nonsense. Irish gullability is still alive and well. I'm a customer, the ins and outs of it are of no concern to me. The facts are facts and their selling a far superior product to a select number of customers for the same price as the inferior product. And we're not talking a little bit of a difference here, the difference could be potentially 24 times the better for the same price. btw, I have the option to get 24mb broadband with Magnet, this is not about envy of the product. I'll admit to being envious of the price they're getting it at though and quite rightly so.

If this was a tangible product there would be a national outcry.

• Advertisement

Thats nonsense. Irish gullability is still alive and well. I'm a customer, the ins and outs of it are of no concern to me. The facts are facts and their selling a far superior product to a select number of customers for the same price as the inferior product. And we're not talking a little bit of a difference here, the difference could be potentially 24 times the better for the same price. btw, I have the option to get 24mb broadband with Magnet, this is not about envy of the product. I'll admit to being envious of the price they're getting it at though and quite rightly so.

If this was a tangible product there would be a national outcry.

I dont really think you understand the difference between you and those customers. Were you are connected to, your line, is subject to a prepaid package that's bought to Eircom wholesale, they pay a fix amount of data per month to them and then resell it to you. Normally the profit is minimum, no more than a couple of euros, so asking them to reduce these prices is impossible, so unless Eircom lower their prices it wont happen. If you are looking in teaching them a lesson it wont work either as their hands are tied.

For the other customers (up to 24 mb) BT have their own equipment and they pay a fix amount to Eircom wholesale, then they can decide how much they will charge you for your package as this wont change the rental price.

If you have magnet you should go with them, then you will be in the same position as those BT customers on their 24 mb package. If what you want is pay less then look for a lower package, magnet has them too.

Remember that if you go with Perlico you will be paying BT too, as they resell their WLR (phone).

Praetor wrote: »
    I dont really think you understand the difference between you and those customers. Were you are connected to, your line, is subject to a prepaid package that's bought to Eircom wholesale, they pay a fix amount of data per month to them and then resell it to you. Normally the profit is minimum, no more than a couple of euros, so asking them to reduce these prices is impossible, so unless Eircom lower their prices it wont happen. If you are looking in teaching them a lesson it wont work either as their hands are tied.

For the other customers (up to 24 mb) BT have their own equipment and they pay a fix amount to Eircom wholesale, then they can decide how much they will charge you for your package as this wont change the rental price.

If you have magnet you should go with them, then you will be in the same position as those BT customers on their 24 mb package. If what you want is pay less then look for a lower package, magnet has them too.

Remember that if you go with Perlico you will be paying BT too, as they resell their WLR (phone).
    I'm not out to stick it to BT, I'm just out for value for money. Since Perlico can undercut BT's prices then that sounds like value for money. Especially if they are BT sellers. I remain unsure on the quality of their customer service though...

Advertisement