Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where'd they go?

Options
  • 16-06-2009 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

I went to two spots I go to for trout yesterday evening both on the Owendoher that flows into the Dodder, no fish to be seen in the first pool but that's not usually a surprise but the second spot, I went to you can usually see up to 20 fish in the water, I sat there for 45 minutes with my polaroids and I couldn't spot a single fish and there were no fish jumping even though there was a hatch over the water, Do trout move? I havn't been down there i about 3 or 4 weeks. What's up?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Cormdogg wrote: »
    I went to two spots I go to for trout yesterday evening both on the Owendoher that flows into the Dodder, no fish to be seen in the first pool but that's not usually a surprise but the second spot, I went to you can usually see up to 20 fish in the water, I sat there for 45 minutes with my polaroids and I couldn't spot a single fish and there were no fish jumping even though there was a hatch over the water, Do trout move? I havn't been down there i about 3 or 4 weeks. What's up?

Was it the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Cormdogg wrote: »
    I live in Rathfarnham, right beside that river, didn't realise there were many spots on it good for trout?!
    Is thathe river that flows through St enda's park or the oe that flows by Butterfield?
    thanks,

Andy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

In the normal run of things, trout swim upstream to spawn, and then drop back downstream over the days or weeks afterwards. It's nature's way of ensuring they lay eggs in cleaner gravel without silt.

The little trout tend to drop downstream as they grow, looking for secure places of cover and feeding stations to hold near.

During the summer months the stocks of trout in little streams like the Owendoher will reduce somewhat, because with the Owendoher flowing into the Dodder, many of the fish there are "Dodder nursery stocks".

Of course, the deeper Owendoher pools should always have resident trout, and if they are gone that would be a sign that something is wrong.

Keep up posted pls.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lenomark

i fish this river all the time and small trout can be caught everywhere along the river the waterfall across from the tuning fork is good and sises 14 hook and a small bit of white bread or maggot have caught 10 +fish on a number of occasions and all were returned with a wet hand to the river alive, from there down to the bridge in the village is good some pools involve a bit of climbing but these generally produce the bigger fish :)

Advertisement