Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding over compression

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Yep, this has been posted a few times already - the DR standard will hopefully be picked up!

Oh yeah - and it's not so much about compression as the upward lifting (Waves L series etc...) - that meter is great - been using for ages now - very quick and easy to plonk a track in and see if it's borked.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

If they succeed, this would mean standardisation of levels across CDs in the same way there is in the cinema, and an end to the "Loudness War" madness.

I didn't realise they had a level limit for the cinema. Makes sense I suppose, you can't turn it down in the cinema. Badly needed for music and long overdue.
    Thanks for the link, I wasn't aware of that plug, going to download now.

The guy who is behind that meter also makes some fine video tutorials for mastering ITB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Oh yeah - and it's not so much about compression as the upward lifting (Waves L series etc...) - that meter is great - been using for ages now - very quick and easy to plonk a track in and see if it's borked.

Fantastic descriptive word for flatlined mixes. May I borrow it Neuro :D

• Advertisement

woodsdenis wrote: »
    Fantastic descriptive word for flatlined mixes. May I borrow it Neuro :D

Haha, it's a word widely used by the geek community for broken crap - so feel free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

gsparx wrote: »
    If they succeed, this would mean standardisation of levels across CDs in the same way there is in the cinema, and an end to the "Loudness War" madness.

I didn't realise they had a level limit for the cinema. Makes sense I suppose, you can't turn it down in the cinema. Badly needed for music and long overdue.

they have a standard monitoring level of 83db in movie studios also. Judging by the fantastic sound quality of the movies I've seen in cinemas lately, it's working very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

gsparx wrote: »

Yes indeed.
    In fact they Dolby have various specs for the entire processes i.e. how the mixing room is built, sound levels in the rooms, isolation from the outside, the whole 9 yards. Dolby will then give a facility accreditation (or not as may be)

Of course if there was a music standard - most of the people here wouldn't be allowed make recordings !

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Of course if there was a music standard - most of the people here wouldn't be allowed make recordings !

Then once they'd enforce those recording standards they would move in and enforce the listening standards ;)

1. User must be wearing crushed velvet in a fully unreflective room with genelec top end monitors mounted on blu-tac and drawing pins ;) - stood exactly 6.312343cm from the monitors (that are positioned with LAZORS).

2. Users must have earwax surgically removed and ears replaced with stem cell Bob Katz cloned ears.

3. There will be NO throwing up in the sub bins or hugging of speakers.

On a more serious note :D

I find that I over compress when I'm tired and when I can't hear what's going on ....

So accuracy in monitoring is an important issue here too.

• Advertisement

So accuracy in monitoring is an important issue here too.

You've never been sick in a bass bin in a club have you??? ;)

You've never been sick in a bass bin in a club have you??? ;)

I woke up in one once .... does that count?

I woke up in one once .... does that count?

Well, could do if you woke up covered in sick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

Yes indeed.
    In fact they Dolby have various specs for the entire processes i.e. how the mixing room is built, sound levels in the rooms, isolation from the outside, the whole 9 yards. Dolby will then give a facility accreditation (or not as may be)

yeah dance music has no excuse. it's mostly played by people with a volume knob or 6 in their hands!

Well, could do if you woke up covered in sick ;)

Must it be my own ?

Advertisement