Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Join the Happy Quitters thread

Options
  • 16-06-2009 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

If you have quit and are happy that you did, please sign this thread.
    One of the things about being a smoker that troubled me most was the
    question 'how could I be happy if I quit ?'
    It always seemed to my smoking mind that happiness and quitting was unachievable. Now I know better.

name : Pal
    quit : 5 months
    result : Happy (very)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Quit 63 days.
    €266 saved (well sorta, spent it on a nice dress and other stuff :) )
    Feel better and fitter and happy that it no longer rules my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Quit 2 and a bit years.

No more smelly clothes, no more dirty ashtrays, no more feeling like a knob having to find excuses to run outside for a smoke (when everyone knows what I'm excusing myself for), no more anguish getting onto long haul flights, no more hacking gunge up, no more constant clearing of the throat, no more worrying about taking a job that would interfere with my ability to smoke at will, no more traipsing to the 24hr garage in the middle of the night, no more straightening out stabbed out butts in order to avoid traipsing to the 24hr garage in the middle of the night.

No more wasted money, no more shadows in my mind about awful diseases and whether the next smoke will be the one to tip me over the edge.

In other words: no more enslavement to the drug that forces the above sub-human living into being.

Thank you very much, Allan Carr.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Qiut 6 weeks ago......

Smoked 28 years, got to the stage that I was sick of it and my health was
    starting to suffer.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Quit 2 and a bit years.

No more smelly clothes, no more dirty ashtrays, no more feeling like a knob having to find excuses to run outside for a smoke (when everyone knows what I'm excusing myself for), no more anguish getting onto long haul flights, no more hacking gunge up, no more constant clearing of the throat, no more worrying about taking a job that would interfere with my ability to smoke at will, no more traipsing to the 24hr garage in the middle of the night, no more straightening out stabbed out butts in order to avoid traipsing to the 24hr garage in the middle of the night.

No more wasted money, no more shadows in my mind about awful diseases and whether the next smoke will be the one to tip me over the edge.

No more slavery.

Thank you very much, Allan Carr.

Exact same story for me. I quit in November 2006, and am absolutely delighted to have stayed off the smokes for so long. The ONLY thing I miss is carrying my Zippo around, just because it's an all time design classic and endlessly cool. It gets used to light candles nowadays :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Hi Wreck! You quit 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 5 hours, 13 minutes & 35 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 7,998 cigs, saved EUR 2,999 and added 3.94 weeks to your life.

I'm healthy and happy (at least about giving up smoking). I've yet to work out where all the extra cash is going though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Two years today.

I remember someone once making the point to me that I was unlikely to turn around 5, 10 or 20 years down the line and say "Dammit, I wish I hadn't given up the fags!" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

9th feb 2004!
    alan carr
    happy? very:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭Archeron

6 years and never look back! Great to be smoke free.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Quit back in 1985 having moved up to 30 Major a day for the previous 6 months from a regular 20-a-day.

Took a mad fit one Friday and decided there and then to stop. Opened the Golden Pages under "Accupuncture" and made an appointment with the first clinic that would see me that day. Had to be that day, not the next week, so it took about four phone calls to find one. Arrived at the clinic at 4.00pm and finished a fag at the door before ringing the bell. I still had another 12 or so in the pack in my pocket.

Got two small staples stuck in my ear, sat in the chair and felt absolutely no different. I was still "gumming" for a smoke! Doc reckoned because I had been smoking that day, it would be the following day before I felt any effect.

Anyway, the procedure cost me IR£15 at the time which was about two weeks fags so I was determined to get my money's worth.
    I said no matter what, I'd stay off them for two weeks.....that was nearly quarter of a century ago :)

Haven't looked back since!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Broad

Quit: November 2005 from 40+ SilkCut a day

Result? Fitter. Breathing properly. Smelling decent. Losing my fear of dying young. Skin better. Am fatter but slowly dealing with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

off them 3 months now. Really happy but cant figure out how ive less money now than before. Looking forward to the holidays in 3 weeks , it will be the first time i havnt been stressed about flights getting delayed and not being able to smoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Uncle Oswald

I'm a year off them now and delighted. Don't miss them at all and have not once had a craving.

What I really like about not smoking is not having to constantly go to the shops and buy the next box... I was on nearly thirty a day and would have to go twice a day to get more, or else buy two or three boxes at a time.

I also love not having any dark clouds haning over me, always feeling that any sort of discomfort or tingling is due to a blood clot or impending stroke or whatever. Having said that, the tips of my fingers used to feel numb sometimes and I have not had that now for some time... dunno if it is connected but it could well have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

Quit 9 months.
    Happy? Delighted.. Thrilled I have done it and I don't even want them anymore! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

3 years and 5 months off them :D, 10,000+ euro's saved and one Dublin city Marathon ran :cool:. Ditto to what others have said about clothes etc. Thankfully I wasn't a heavy smoker so I never got to experience the 'cough', but surely that alone would be reason enough to give them up and a joy not to have any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

I was a 20 a day smoker for 6 years and quit 5 months ago. I was a slave to cigarettes, feel so much healthier and happier.
    And i don't miss the evil looks i used get for having a sneaky fag on the street!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Blaalarry

Aw Jees you Guys... Don't y'all leave now just when I'm about to give up Wednesday next/ come on back an' hold my hand for a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

staker wrote: »
    9th feb 2004!
    alan carr
    happy? very:D:D

Me too! Me too!! Just in time for the smoking ban! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i quit yesterday morning at 6:03am when i recieved my cao offer for my course i wanted.

havnt had 1 since then, but its so hard. my girlfriend has been great, but i think im gonna call a helpline later today as its tearing me in half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Smoked for 22 years. By the time I quit, I felt like a smouldering ashtray.

"You quit 10 months, 4 weeks, 4 hours, 32 minutes & 11 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 6,643 cigs, saved EUR 2,674 and added 3.28 weeks to your life."

still going good. i havnt touched 1 yet.

its a struggle, but im getting through it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 marksetgo

quit febuary this year smoked for 10 years , no patchs no books , nothing ,just stopped the best thing i ever done its a disgusting habit

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

You quit 10 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 14 hours, 19 minutes & 22 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 4,167 cigs, saved EUR 1,750 and added 2.05 weeks to your life.

16 years smoking before I quit, not only cigarettes but the whacky also.now ive a better sense of smell and taste and able to jog longer without getting out of breath. I would have thought id have felt a lot better physically as in lots more energy and sex drive etc but not really. Maybe its still early days!!! But grateful to god I gave up and I truly believe in my heart of hearts I'll never smoke again. I genuinely feel sorry for people that smoke. I'd never look down my nose at a smoker. you dirty dirty beggers :pac:

Quit in early Jan.
    I smoked for 20 years.
    Was a 30-40+ a day.

I feel I must thank Boards.ie, like many people it took many attempts and last year when I was setting out to stop I viewed some threads here for support, one comment by a person who gave advice to a poster stuck with me.

It was the use of an analogy, it went something like this, using new years eve, where you were anticipating change and waiting for it, though when it came it was like any other day. (thank you to OP).

Anyways sorry for ranting, and I feel good and really Happy.

And well done all.

1 week tomorrow! still got the odd crave, but its getting easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Off them six weeks on Tuesday. Smoked 20-25 a day for fifteen years - I LOVED fags.....or thought I loved them, I never thought I'd be able to give them up so have surprised myself! Gets easier with every day and of course still have pangs but nothing like those first few days. NEVER realised how disgusting smoking is to non-smokers, i.e. did my breath/clothes really smell that foul? Am embarrassed by it now!! So so happy to have quit, great not to be a slave to the evil weed any longer!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

20 MINUTES

Blood pressure drops to normal
    Pulse rate drops to normal
    Body temperature of hands and feet increases to normal
    8 HOURS

Carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal
    Oxygen level in blood increases to normal
    24 HOURS

Chance of heart attack decreases
    48 HOURS

Nerve endings start regrowing
    Ability to smell and taste is enhanced
    2 WEEKS TO 3 MONTHS

Circulation improves
    Walking becomes easier
    Lung function increases up to 30 percent
    1 TO 9 MONTHS

Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath decrease
    Cilia regrow in lungs, increasing their ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce infection
    Body's overall energy increases

This is where I am, + 1 new TV, 3 bedrooms with new flooring and a newer car, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

I'm seven weeks off after smoking for 14 years.

I'm so happy with the decision. I have already noticed the difference in my level of fitness and am enjoying having about 70 quid extra a week in disposable income.

This is a good idea Pal, the biggest worry was I'd hate being a non smoker.

still off the smokes. money is building up and its exciting to smell new things.

i was driving in town the other day, window down and i got a whiff of something. i loved it.
    500meter's away someone was cutting a hedge and i could smell it!
    usually i wouldnt even notice it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

very happy to be 2 years 8 months off them. one of the best decisions i ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Two months today, 1400 cig's not smoked, around 600 euro saved,and roughly 5 day's added to to life. So very happy and never going back now, tried so hard over the years to quit but always failed. Champix was the wonder drug for me, not for everyone obviously but you have to keep trying.

Advertisement