Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Join the Happy Quitters thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jeege

Hey guys, into my third day off them and remainig calm. Am using patches and gum to take the edge off and just thinking about all the negatives to take the psychological edge off!
    My daughter (6) realised last night that I havent gone out for a smoke in a few days and gave me a hug and said she's happy that my lungs are going to be healthy... This is all I need to think of to keep me going!
    I've never got past the first day before, so I'm sticking it out this time.. Will never go back again, here's to a new start!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭drumaneen

Gave up 310 days ago!!!!!

Saving 500 Euro now apparently (used roll me own).

Apart from my actual decision to stop smoking a cheap little app for my Ipod Touch was an incredible Godsend (Quit Smoking Now with Max Kirsten; www.maxkirsten.com)- used it daily at first and quite quickly after needed it less.

Love the idea of not smoking - and particularly not smelling of stale tobacco all of the time. God you so notice it on others and think "Hell did I really smell like that". Also loved my new freedom, my release from organising everything around my smoking - which pubs, eateries etc. On visits to New York & Boston and wider USA I felt like a leper as a smoker - thank God thats over. Even the long haul flights were hell.

Still fancy a fag from time to time tho - and am still quite intolerant of people still smoking (must work on my disapproval).

Hmmm wonder if i can get me a new iphone with me "fag" money

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Jeege wrote: »
    Hey guys, into my third day off them and remainig calm. Am using patches and gum to take the edge off and just thinking about all the negatives to take the psychological edge off!
    My daughter (6) realised last night that I havent gone out for a smoke in a few days and gave me a hug and said she's happy that my lungs are going to be healthy... This is all I need to think of to keep me going!
    I've never got past the first day before, so I'm sticking it out this time.. Will never go back again, here's to a new start!:D

PROUD OF YA BABY.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Quit nearly 2 years ago. Still can believe I did it. I still think of myself as a smoker, even though I haven't had one since. Thanks Champix. Even the thought of having to take one of those horrible tablets would put me off taking a drag.

You quit 1 year, 9 months, 2 days, 6 hours, 1 minute & 4 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 16,646 cigs, saved EUR 7,075 and added 1.90 months to your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Well. hows the new quitters doing?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Quit for 2 days. Failed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

Been a non-smoker for 2 months and 14 days and doing very well, have been out with smoker friends and haven't wanted one so very happy about that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Quit August 2006 after 20 years x 20 a day - not even the slightest waver moment since.

Everyone has their own process - for me it was an epiphany type situation where I suddenly became absolutely disgusted with myself as a smoker, sneaking out for quick smokes at work etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

I stopped smoking almost 2 weeks ago after 30 years. I didn't really plan it but I had a visit to the doctor and he strongly suggested I think about stopping. So I left his office and didn't light up immediately like I usually would. After a couple of hours I decided to see how long I could keep it up and managed to not smoke that night. The first few days were the worst but everytime I got a craving I went for a walk or ate some fruit just to take my mind off it. Now I have started to feel like a non-smoker and I'm already starting to notice I'm not spending as much. I should have done this years ago. I don't want to belittle anyone who has failed but if you haven't tried, give it a go. It might not be as hard as you think it's going to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nutmeg101

last smoked a year and 3 months ago. feel much better for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

"Hi Dee! You quit 2 months, 1 day, 11 hours, 1 minute & 36 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 1,249 cigs, saved AUD 625 and added 4.34 days to your life."

That's a rough conversion to Australian Dollars and an estimate of the price of a pack because they come in 25's here. But I'm proud as punch.

I spent $150 to get hypnotised and it was so worth it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

2.05 years. Firmly a non-smoker. I can't believe how easy it is now, first 3 months were very hard.

To those who have quit only to fall off the wagon, remember success is 99% failure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

30 years old and been smoking since I was 14 and am now off them 3 months. Not missing them at all. No patches or tablets or any ****e just strong will power which is the most important ingrediant the sheer want to go off them. walk to work now every day and have loads of energy and hangovers are nowhere near as bad as the chest didnt get cremated the night before.... best move i ever made (p.s I believe it really helps if nobody else smokes in your house)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Quit Smoking at the end of September using the patches. I'm delighted that I'm still an ex smoker but It's playing havoc with waistline. I've put on 7 pounds :(

Any advice to stop me reaching for the chocolate bars ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

4 months! Never wavered, it was suprisingly easy once i decided to do it. Yay me!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

You quit 11 months, 1 week, 5 days, 23 hours, 19 minutes & 59 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 10,409 cigs, saved EUR 4,190 and added 1.19 months to your life.

30-odd per day for 20 years... christ.

Champix all the way home lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

Hi Judas! You quit 5 months, 4 weeks, 1 day, 12 hours, 24 minutes & 36 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 3,650 cigs, saved EUR 1,551 and added 1.80 weeks to your life.
    Still off them!! Although still getting the odd mad dream, way vivid and so real that you wake up thinking sh!t I gave in only to realise it was only a dream.This seems to be a fairly common experience although I still find it a bit freaky!
    Anyway good luck with your quit, keep persevering - its worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Off them 2 weeks today - delighted with myself - still have one bitch of a cough but hopefully that will pass soon .

Had real vivid dream last night where I was in shop buying smokes - woke up and was convinced I had smoked but realised just a dream !

Going to start playing squash tonight in an effort to get some exercise now that I can run up and down the stairs at home without gasping for air .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭rivermetimbers

shanel23 wrote: »
    Off them 2 weeks today - delighted with myself - still have one bitch of a cough but hopefully that will pass soon .

Had real vivid dream last night where I was in shop buying smokes - woke up and was convinced I had smoked but realised just a dream !

Going to start playing squash tonight in an effort to get some exercise now that I can run up and down the stairs at home without gasping for air .
    the funny thing is a cough is a good thing.. its the bodys way of clearing the lungs, alan carr reckons its the people that dont cough that get cancer(i know its not that simple!)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Smober time: Two months, two weeks, six days, 23 hours, 31 minutes and 0 seconds.
    1244 cigarettes not smoked.
    Saving €522.89.
    Life saved: 4 days, 7 hours, 40 minutes.

Did it cold turkey, my advice is to just do it, make it an impulse decision, take it one day at a time and be stubborn!

Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

staker wrote: »
    9th feb 2004!
    alan carr
    happy? very:D:D

Same here. Alan Carr book done it for me around that time.

No urge to smoke whatsoever. Extremely happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

off the fags two years and 7months today good luck to everyone that has decided to stop smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

foundry wrote: »
    Smober time: Two months, two weeks, six days, 23 hours, 31 minutes and 0 seconds.
    1244 cigarettes not smoked.
    Saving €522.89.
    Life saved: 4 days, 7 hours, 40 minutes.

Did it cold turkey, my advice is to just do it, make it an impulse decision, take it one day at a time and be stubborn!

Best of luck :)

Smober- excellent!!
    Btw where is the calculator from as it looks different to the one on the
    http://www.stopsmoking.ie/
    website. Anyway best of luck with your quit, cold turkey is doing it for me as well where patches etc didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Hi everyone,

Havent been on in a while, but am happy to report that I'm still smoke free.

Here's my stats and if your just starting believe me I tried everything with little success, champix though was amazing, and trust me If I can do it, so can you!

Six months, 7 hours, 47 minutes and 55 seconds.

4608 cigarettes not smoked,

saving €1,958.89.

Life saved: 2 weeks, 2 days, 0 minutes.

Roll on 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Well done to everyone - I only became free 07/01/2010 after reading Mr Carr's excellent book, thought I was seriously considering it since last oct, i was just so sick of them.

Reading all of the above posts is very inspiring, i love those counters! I'v set up a new bank acc and every week i'm putting in my weekly savings but i've no atm card for the acc so looking forward to checking that out in a year's time!

To the lady with the daughter and the hugs, jesus, that nearly made me cry. Hope you're still off em!

Well done everybody whether you used EasyWay, Patches, E-Ciggs, Willpower, Hypnotherapy, whatever works!!!:D

Btw, to those who 'fell off the wagon', this is not my first attempt to quit, very few manage on their first time so hang in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

You've been free of cigarettes for 135 days, 16 hours, 29 minutes & 28 seconds

You have not smoked 2,306 cigarettes since then, and you have saved a total of $1,014.94.

:pac:

got from :
    http://www.darrenfauth.com/calculators/money-saved-by-quitting-smoking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Hi Miss Fluff! You quit 6 months, 5 days, 17 hours, 10 minutes & 0 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 5,691 cigs, saved EUR 2,419 and added 2.81 weeks to your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭LeBash

I was a 30 a day smoker but had the worst withdrawels such as anxiety attacks.

It took 3 months to get over all that, but im now 6 months off the smokes and feel so much better for it. It was such a life changing thing that I decided to quit my job and go to college to be a sound engineer, something I had wanted to do since i was a kid and I have never been happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Still going strong - it does get easier :)

Hi Shanel23! You quit 4 weeks, 2 days, 16 hours, 14 minutes & 3 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 613 cigs, saved EUR 259 and added 2.13 days to your life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Well done folks for getting so far..

Keep posting!! I'm on day 3 and I find it great to read peoples posts that have been off them for a while, keeps me motivated :D

Advertisement