Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax on rental income

Options
  • 16-06-2009 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I own a one bed apartment (bought 2 years ago). I am moving in with my boyfriend and want to rent out this apartment. Judging by rents in the area, I will be able to rent it out for about 200 euro less than I pay for the mortgage. Will I still have to pay tax on it?

Thanks,

Anna
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Barracudaincork

Depends on when you bought the property you could have stamp duty issues, (assuming you were a first time buyer) if you rent out the property.

Yes you will still pay tax on your rental income, but you can deduct the interest as an expense, (provided you register your tenant with the PRTB). The full amount of the interest is not deductible, only 75% of the total interest is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

You have about 7k per year tax free (rent a room relief) on rental income from what I can rememeber...but it must be a room in your own home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Barracudaincork

You have about 7k per year tax free (rent a room relief) on rental income from what I can rememeber...but it must be a room in your own home.

Rent a room is now 10K.

As the OP has a one bed apartment, this would not apply.

Advertisement