Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beech Hedge damaged by strimmer

Options
  • 16-06-2009 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hello All,
    I have a year and half old beech hedge which i was happily strimming around a 2 day ago but on closer inspection I damaged a few with the strimmer around the base of the hedge:( - only around 4 or 5 out of 100mtrs of hedge. Anyway thats no excuse, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can do anything to ensure they won't die off on me now!!or if anyone know knows a good herbicide that can be used around the base of a beech hedge to kill the grass and weeds and not harm the tree., so I don't need to strim anymore!

Your advice is greatly appreciated:)
    Thanks
    mc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get a piece of wavin pipe and rip a cut along the length, crosscut pieces off the pipe at 5" lengths.
    put the pipe around the trunk of the hedge and you can strim awayto your hearts content and not worry about ringbarking the tree.
    I strimmed one of my beech trees last year and thought I had ringed it but it survived and is flourishing.
    Let the trees alone and don't spray anything near them for a while, herbicide getting into the trees cambium would not be good for them.
    Have you tried using lawn clippings as a heavy mulch around the base of the hedge to keep the grass down?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Get a piece of wavin pipe and rip a cut along the length, crosscut pieces off the pipe at 5" lengths.
    put the pipe around the trunk of the hedge and you can strim awayto your hearts content and not worry about ringbarking the tree.
    I strimmed one of my beech trees last year and thought I had ringed it but it survived and is flourishing.
    Let the trees alone and don't spray anything near them for a while, herbicide getting into the trees cambium would not be good for them.
    Have you tried using lawn clippings as a heavy mulch around the base of the hedge to keep the grass down?

Thanks for that advice - didn't know there was an actual term for that (ringbarking)! think I will try the lawn clippings (once my lawn is ready for cutting) and see how i get on - good to hear that they are fluorishing as well..
    Cheers
    Mc

Advertisement