Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The price of cards in shops like Birthdays

Options
  • 16-06-2009 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Went in to buy a birthday card yesterday and noticed that there were no prices for ANY of the cards on display. Eventually I picked a smaller card up and went to the till. €6.50 it cost me!

Isn't it required by law to display prices for all products?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Usually the prices are displayed on an info sheet near the cards. By code so match the code on the back of a card with the code that it says on the sheet.

🤪

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Usually the prices are displayed on an info sheet near the cards. By code so match the code on the back of a card with the code that it says on the sheet.

Yep, these sheets have been every shop I've ever been in, you simply match the two digit number on the back of the card to the sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

That makes sense I suppose. It's a bit pointless if they dont make it obvious though isn't it? I mean, I had to ask on the internet about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

John_Mc wrote: »
    I had to ask on the internet about it!
    You could have asked in the shop. This is nearly always how cards are priced. I think it is to avoid putting price tags on in the old days before scanning, which could mark the cards. It is also a discrete way of indicating pricing, rather than money values.

Tesco and €2 shops do cards cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It'll say something like HH, or LL on the back. Look at the sheet nearby, and it'll tell you what code equals to.

As said, it stops having to peel the cost sticker from the card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Went in to buy a birthday card yesterday and noticed that there were no prices for ANY of the cards on display. Eventually I picked a smaller card up and went to the till. €6.50 it cost me!

Isn't it required by law to display prices for all products?

In their Carlow store they have the prices displayed on every card display in the store - I presume its the same in all their stores.

IMO Birthday's are expensive as local stores in Carlow have the same codes at 20% - 30% less than Birthdays and in many cases the identical cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Two things:

1. Cards usually have a code on the back. Look for a price list on the display stand and match your code to the price.

2. You can always ask at the till what the card costs. You do not have to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Usually I see "code 50, code 60" etc on the back.
    dudara wrote: »
    2. You can always ask at the till what the card costs. You do not have to purchase.
    Yes, but with things like cards they prey on peoples embarrassment. Like if they went up with a mothers day card, they might not want to refuse it for being too expensive.

They have laws to display prices outside certain places for similar reasons I imagine, like hairdressers & restaurants.

One I always wonder about is funeral related stuff, undertakers, coffins etc. I expect people would sort of feel uneasy "shopping around" for coffins or undertakers, and expect they might have huge margins and could be taking advantage of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

H15 or H35 are about €2.15, when I worked in card shop, customers would ask for those card. The lower the number the lower the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

At least you only bought one! I know someone who went in to buy 6 Christmas cards (the Mum, Dad, GF type) & paid about €36:eek: They were too embarrassed to say they wouldn't take them....more fool them.

For kids, you can get packs of about 6 or 8 cards for about €2in Penny's. You can get some more adulty types for about €1.50 each

Any stores I've been in have the sheet mentioned above - but you generally have to look for one (sticker not on the back of all few thousand cards some of them have in stock!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

rubadub wrote: »
    Tesco and €2 shops do cards cheap.

i couldnt recommend the €uro shop more. i buy loads of stuff from them, not because im a cheapskate but i wouldnt pay the likes of hallmark and birthdays their extorsionate (sp?) rates

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Pennys and the 2 euro shop (3 for 2 euro) do cheap cards.

Advertisement