Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox Live with o2 3g Broadband?

• 16-06-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I've recently moved to a house that has no internet set up. Getting in UPC, Perlico etc is out of the question. So I'm on the brink of getting myself set up with o2's 3g service (Compass Sierra 888 modem, dongle thing).

My question is, if I were to buy a 3g router to use with the dongle, would the connection/ping rate be good enough to play Live??

The games I'd be playing would be FPS types, FIFA's etc. Also, I'm living in Dublin 12 if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ive heard mixed things about it but if the ping is high (>130) then its not going to be suitable for FPS or games that require fast reaction times.

Im curious to find out what the Meteor or Eircom mobile broadband is like tho.

Btw, ive used Irish Broadband's Breeze service for online gaming without issue for months. (its basically an aerial they lash on your roof) My ping has an average been less than 130ms. You could try them? They have a 7 day or 14 day trial period as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

Dunno about getting Irish BB in, as the landlord doesn't want any hole drilling and stuff going on at all. Thats the main problem really. I might give them a call though and see how much work is involved. Cheers for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Why didnt you ask in the broadband forum?

Theres no way you`ll be able to game online with any 3G connection, sorry to burst your bubble

I asked here because I figured people on the Xbox forum would know more about the ins and outs of Xbox Live than the people on the Broadband forum.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Couldn't ever connect with 02 mobile braodband for the life of me.

Tried absolutely everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

thudd wrote: »
    I've recently moved to a house that has no internet set up. Getting in UPC, Perlico etc is out of the question. So I'm on the brink of getting myself set up with o2's 3g service (Compass Sierra 888 modem, dongle thing).

My question is, if I were to buy a 3g router to use with the dongle, would the connection/ping rate be good enough to play Live??

The games I'd be playing would be FPS types, FIFA's etc. Also, I'm living in Dublin 12 if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Call Irish Broadband, they've a few packages and can help with avoiding drilling etc. Digiweb have some too.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

I use 3 mobile broadband and it works pretty well. I play Left 4 Dead and Call of duty 4 on it and they work well but street fighter 4 had really bad lag most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

FYI my O2 broadband dongle this evening gives me:

497302888.png

Never tried online gaming but for downloads etc on XBL it's fine.

I'm in D11, good reception most of the time.

Not that that will help you much, but in case it gives you an idea I thought I'd post!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

497570437.png

Think it only works with Internet connection sharing on XP.
    Can't seem to be it working with Vista at all.

thanks guys. Corcs001 - Your using your 3 dongle with 3g router yeah? If it works for games like Left for Dead and COD4 it should be cushty. Nice one.

• Advertisement

using your 3 dongle with 3g router yeah?
    Strike a light! Not even thought about looking for such a router as I didn't believe they existed... thanks for the tip...

I currently have the xbox next to the PC upstairs, so need to have the PC on for the net connection... but with a wii downstairs also this may be just what I need for the old online Mario Kart etc!

Was also thinking there wouldn't be much point to having a laptop to use around the house if there was no wireless network...

...so you've just made my day :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Corcs001 - Your using your 3 dongle with 3g router yeah?

I share the connection through a laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Septimusseverus

It will only work well for some games, you will have problems on others, the main issue is that if the strength of the signal drops, your ping will increase dramatically. I use a vodafone 3g dongle, my ping to a server in the US can sometimes be as high as 300ms, which means when playing GTA4 I sometimes have difficulty actually starting a game, or I get latency issues during the game. If the main reason for you getting an internet connection is to play online, I would regard 3g as a last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

sorry to hi-jack the thread but does it take much configuration to share the network of a 3g dongle plugged into a laptop with an xbox?

I am really desperate to update a codec on my xbox which can be only done on xbox live but i only have a 3g modem

Any advice appreciated

Countrywise - can you connect the xbox to your laptop with an ethernet cable? If so you're halfway there. Not sure about doing this with a laptop but would assume it's an identical procedure to using a desktop. You connect xbox via ethernet, then share the connection (if I remember correctly) so your xbox can connect through the laptop's internet connection.

Start here for help: http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/XboxLive/GetConnected/SetupaHomeNetwork/HomeNetworkingBasics.aspx

Use the "test connection" part of your xbox setup menu liberally to check everything is working, it should let you know what part of the connection, if any, it's having trouble with at any stage... and use google to help you fix any issues! Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Its very simple to share your laptop connection to your Xbox. Plug the two together using the ehternet cable provided with your Xbox, go online on your laptop. Go into connection settings and tick the box that says "Share this connection"

For what its worth, you won't have much joy trying to play games with a mobile BB dongle. I have the 3 one and only used it when i needed to download codecs or games.

Now i moved into a house with a 20mb uncontested line and Xbox is plugged directly into it. Happy Days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

Ive used my o2 to play online with my ps3, depending on time of day get a few games without lag. I only get 1 bar of hspda though :(

Advertisement