Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

location of charcoal in a pot belly bbg

Options
  • 16-06-2009 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

hi folks

i recently bought a charcoal BBQ in woodies and plan on using it for the first time this evening.

just a quick question, there is two racks on it, and its in the shape of a big bowl. thing being that my mother reckons that you put the charcoal on the second rack whereas i think it just goes at the bottom of the belly of the bbq.

can anybody clarify this?? the charcoal im using is the flammable bags that you can buy and just use a match to light.

regards
    BBQ amateur

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It would go on the bottom I imagine jossnjuice. If you could find a picture of something similar and link it I could tell you for sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,780 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Top rack is for the food.
    Bottom rack is for the charcoal.
    Space underneath is for the ashes.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

It would go on the bottom I imagine jossnjuice. If you could find a picture of something similar and link it I could tell you for sure though.

cheers lads for all the help, il try and find a pic now just to make sure

heres the link to my barbie, has the top closed so i dont know if its of any use.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/productdetail.aspx?pid=7433&loc=P&catid=100.2.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

[meerkat voice]
    Charcoal on bottom grid, food on top grid, simples.
    [/meerkat voice]

There should be vents in the bottom as well to let air in from below, and to allow ash to fall out onto the aluminium tray below that. If you just put the charcoal in the botom of the belly, it'd block the vents, which wouldn't do at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,780 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I used to have one of these. The coals definitely don't go on the bottom. They would only get choked by the ashes. As I posted earlier:
    The top rack is for cooking the food on.
    The bottom rack holds the charcoal.
    The bottom is for collecting the ashes.

cheers lads!!! thanks for the speedy reply.

What time do you want us round?

7 ish??? peppered steak, chicken fillets and drumsticks!! anybody ever use the jack daniels marinade???

jossnjuice wrote: »
    7 ish??? peppered steak, chicken fillets and drumsticks!!

Nyom nyom. Enjoy!
    anybody ever use the jack daniels marinade???

'fraid not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

They use the JD marinade in TGI fridays and thats ok

and the other thing is if you burn the charcoal direct on the belly you will burn through it in no time

happy cooking:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My sister used my dad's brand new charcoal bbq when my parent were away and put the charcoal in the bottom of it. It wouldn't light properly (luckily) and my dad had to search the recycling bin for the instruction manual to prove that the bottom rack was for the charcoal. I'd imagine it wouldn't be great for the bbq if the coal was directly on the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Just to be pedantic

Thats not a pot belly BBQ, thats a weber copy.
    a pot belly bbq looks like thisHC300120.jpg

Advertisement