Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finishing timber frame with plaster over expand metal mesh on plywood

• 16-06-2009 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking at options for finishing the outside of a TF. Alternatives to block which is not a runner if you go with an PH type insulated raft.

Cement panel board is too expensive.

A house featured recently in Construct Ireland magazine was finished with a layer of plywood on battens (same manner as cement board) and then a layer of mesh was attached and plastered. I believe this is a standard enough finishing method over bay windows etc.

Is it robust enough for finishing an entire house? I can guess what the overwhelming response will be but I wanted to be sure...

SAS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I understand it's generally not recommended over large areas. I presume this has to do with movement and subsequent cracking.
    I once clad an existing shed using similar deatail.
    Lime plaster
    on expamet lath
    on breathable felt
    on battens in ventilated space
    on existing concrete block shed wall

Structure is still there and fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

The block/ brick outer leaf on a TF house is also needed to keep the structure weighted down and to prevent wind uplift - lateral movement etc.
    If you are going to lighten the outer skin, you will need to provide extra SS straps from timber frame down to rising walls.
    In the US and Caribbean, these are known as hurricane straps!, and can go over the entire structure from one side to the the other.
    You could look at a rendered external insulation system such as Sto, or other similars.
    Also, timber cladding could be used to break up larger plaster areas to alleviate cracking worries.

Advertisement