Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange feeling after driving

• 16-06-2009 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

Whenever I drive and I'm going to bed that night my skin feels like it's moving a kind of rippling feeling. It then starts to slide down and then expand away from me. It's very strange and not in the least bit nice. I'm fully awake mainly because it keeps me awake. I don't feel it if I have my eyes open it's only when I close my eyes, so as a result I spend ages in bed opening and closing my eyes. Afew nights ago mixed with starting to feel unwell, I ended up with my head in the toilet but, didn't feel the relief of getting sick.

It seems to be directly connected to driving, if I drive alot it's worse and if I don't drive(which I haven't done in the past few days) it go's away. I don't remember it happening if someone else was driving, only when I'm doing it.

This is probably another one one those weird things my body/head does that nobody else seems to understand, regardless of that I want the floating limbs feeling back when I go to bed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Maybe your molting your skin now that its summer?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

What do you drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

A form of motion sickness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

It could be to do with the natural frequency of vibration of the car seat or body coinciding with that of your internal organs or stomach causing resonance? That would make you feel sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Exhaust fumes leaking in the car?

Or does it happen if you drive a different car too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Orla K wrote: »
    Whenever I drive and I'm going to bed that night my skin feels like it's moving a kind of rippling feeling.

Sounds a bit like motion sickness.
    Do you get it on buses/ships/planes ?

I'm guessing your just learning to drive if this has just started.
    Maybe you're just stressed/excited about driving and that's keeping you awake enough to mess with your sleeping patterns.

Another theory, do you wear strong prescription glasses?
    That might be making you dizzy/messing with your balance system.

I haven't really driven another car for long enough to see if that's it(only started driving).

And the feeling sick comes from the unpleasentness of the feeling that my skin is moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Ah, that is probably the cause then, get a decent car. :D

I think a doctor rather than the boards forum will give you a more informed opinion.

eireal wrote: »
    Exhaust fumes leaking in the car?

+1 That's a good theory.

Or a leak of oil/petrol/coolant under the bonnet.
    Any leaks under the car ?

• Advertisement

Sounds a bit like motion sickness.
    Do you get it on buses/ships/planes ?

I'm guessing your just learning to drive if this has just started.
    Maybe you're just stressed/excited about driving and that's keeping you awake enough to mess with your sleeping patterns.

Another theory, do you wear strong prescription glasses?
    That might be making you dizzy/messing with your balance system.

When I was a child I used to get car sick but it was mainly down to my father used to smoke when driving. Fags and being in a car still make me feel sick but I've been on busses for hours and felt fine.

I am just learning to drive but it's not stress or excitment keeping me awake.

And I don't were glassed, I've perfect eyesight.

And the feeling sick comes from the unpleasentness of the feeling that my skin is moving.

Any history of bad circulation ?
    Do you drive for hours ?
    Maybe being stuck in certain static driving position, possibly sitting too low in the seat is causing circulation problems.

That might give weird sensory feelings like pins & needles as circulation is restored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I would look into the leak idea to be honest. Fumes can def make you feel like this. Had something similar years ago after travelling in a truck with fumes coming in through a torn gearlever gaiter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I know that if someone has been sitting in my seat and adjusted the lumbar support settings I will have a terrible lower back pain after a few hours driving (and I spend most of my week in the car without problems), so it could well be something like your driving position. It takes a while to fine-tune it to your own body's needs.

maidhc wrote: »
    Ah, that is probably the cause then, get a decent car. :D

So you'll buy me one, yeah. Don't forget to pay tax and insurance on it as well.

It's a clean engine I don't think there is anything leaking but I can have another look.

As for the circulation it could be a cause but I think the leaking fumes is more likely. It's not really a pins and needles feeling and I can feel it hours after I drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

How do your pedals feel?

Could it be vibrations coming through the pedals playing games with your muscles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

vibration could well be causing it. A very slight one even. Check out the fumes theory though. You dont want to be driving around inhaling fumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

So you'll buy me one, yeah. Don't forget to pay tax and insurance on it as well.

It's a clean engine I don't think there is anything leaking but I can have another look.

As for the circulation it could be a cause but I think the leaking fumes is more likely. It's not really a pins and needles feeling and I can feel it hours after I drive.

I was messing about that bit, but not about going to a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Vibration would be my guess, from the pedals/steering wheel/both. Get someone else who's been driving a long time (who preferably drives something comfortable) to drive yours for 2 or 3 miles and see what they think.

maidhc wrote: »
    I was messing about that bit, but not about going to a doctor.
    I know and in turn I was messing around too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

As Biro said, get someone else with plenty of driving experience to drive your car for a while. That should see if there are any fumes or vibrations in the car that shouldn't be.
    And failing that, get to a doctor.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Do you have the heater/air con on or anything? Do you find that you are tense when driving? Could be a number of things. Dehydration, motion sickness, lactic acid from tense muscles, circulation issue.

With all seriousness, asking in a motoring forum on the internet should not be your port of call. It could be something serious. This should be checked out professionally, because the longer you leave it, the worse it could get, and could start effecting your ability to drive. Go see a doctor and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you're in the passenger seat I take it you're ok? It's just driving that cause this?

You could try to find a good quiet straight back road and drive along it slowly without holding the steering wheel, will the car drift to one side? Always the same side?
    If it does, it could be because a number of things, but if there is a slight imbalance in the car it could cause vibrations in the steering wheel.
    The vibrations would shake you ever so slightly.

Men that work with jackhammers often get problems from the vibrations.

antodeco wrote: »
    Do you have the heater/air con on or anything? Do you find that you are tense when driving? Could be a number of things. Dehydration, motion sickness, lactic acid from tense muscles, circulation issue.

With all seriousness, asking in a motoring forum on the internet should not be your port of call. It could be something serious. This should be checked out professionally, because the longer you leave it, the worse it could get, and could start effecting your ability to drive. Go see a doctor and see what they say.

I actually wasn't taking it too seriously, I'm flippent with most things. Now that I know there might be a more serious cause to it then I'll do something but I wouldn't have known it just wasn't my body being weird again (ie I get sleepy after coffee).

First thing I'm going to do is check under the bonnet for leaks, then get my father or uncle to drive it. If it's not the car then it's me.

Magnus wrote: »
    If you're in the passenger seat I take it you're ok? It's just driving that cause this?

You could try to find a good quiet straight back road and drive along it slowly without holding the steering wheel, will the car drift to one side? Always the same side?
    If it does, it could be because a number of things, but if there is a slight imbalance in the car it could cause vibrations in the steering wheel.
    The vibrations would shake you ever so slightly.

Men that work with jackhammers often get problems from the vibrations.

I've never been in the passinger seat in this car, it's mine and other people have there own cars to drive where I'm sometimes passingers in them.

Also I got 4 new tyres for it and they balanced it perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Not to frighten you or anything but you really dont want to have a crash in that car.

mickdw wrote: »
    Not to frighten you or anything but you really dont want to have a crash in that car.

I know, I was talking to a friend, he was leaning against it and for some reason decided to try push it over. He found it quite easy to lift but he didn't move it much because I was sitting in the car yelling.

Advertisement