Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Ultra Broadband Very Slow.

Options
  • 16-06-2009 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭

Anyone else in Galway experiencing problems with UPC Ultra. Getting terrible connection speeds lately of less than 0.5MB rather than the supposed 20MB connection. This is in knocknacarra region. The upload connection is running fine. :mad::mad::mad: It's been like this for a few days now.

496867228.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I just got this in this morning.

496879796.png

20 Mb too.

Downloaded a torrent from a private tracker and got a top speed of 422 Kb/s.

While I'm here, does anyone know how I can get into the router?
    I want to change a few things.
    The installer told me that the details were in the booklet he left, but they were now.

I'm getting to 192.168.1.1, but I don't know the log in name or password. Is there a default one or do I need to call UPC?
    cisco EPC2425.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Default username and password are to be left blank. Just click OK and it will prompt you to set up your own password.

From then on username - <leave blank> and password = whatever password you made up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

On UPC 10mb in Clonmel

496892936.png

:mad:
    Usually get close to the 10mb

ciano1 wrote: »
    On UPC 10mb in Clonmel

496892936.png

:mad:
    Usually get close to the 10mb

Similar to my problem. How long as your connection been like that. I had the slow connection since Friday. I'm wondering if it's even worth my while calling UPC as they'll just go through the usual reboot your modem...blah blah. I've checked everything and the problem is the service connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jungly

I wonder if UPC is having problems for the entire country.

If they are they should say so on the phone.

I called them and all they asked me was oh, is your wireless secured, the usual shenanigans. If you have problems - tell your customers!

Am furious.

This UPC bandwidth slowing down to a cripple happens too often for my liking.

• Advertisement

Yeah, definitely not security related. I have MAC filters and WPA enabled encryption and am only one using the available bandwidth, it's just ridiculously slow, 0.5 MB/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jungly

They asked me to reboot this time round, saying my modem was online for 54 days. Not good according to them.

Rebooting the modem did help though.

2.91 up
    0.25 down.

So there. Reboot it was.
    jungly wrote: »
    I wonder if UPC is having problems for the entire country.

If they are they should say so on the phone.

I called them and all they asked me was oh, is your wireless secured, the usual shenanigans. If you have problems - tell your customers!

Am furious.

This UPC bandwidth slowing down to a cripple happens too often for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

After reboot (which was done because I was screwing around with the security settings and I'm using wireless because my network card is borked):

496971595.png

Still only a quarter of the download speed I'm paying for.

Rebooting modem doesn't fix my connection :mad: Tried bypassing wireless and connecting via ethernet to modem. Even resetted modem to defaults to no avail! Paying for 20MB/s getting 0.5MB/s:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

The only way you can tell what speeds you're getting, is through a direct cabled connection, bypassing the router all together.

Which means unplugging the modem and shutting down the computer, putting the ethernet cable directly from the modem into the computer (if you have the sepperate router then you take that out of the equation), and then plugging back in the modem and powering back on the computer.

The router, whether secure can still slow speeds, even on a cabled connection.

The reason I say all this is that I'm getting 19.86/1.42 on my 20 meg at the moment, on a direct cabled connection.

zarquon wrote: »
    Rebooting modem doesn't fix my connection :mad: Tried bypassing wireless and connecting via ethernet to modem. Even resetted modem to defaults to no avail! Paying for 20MB/s getting 0.5MB/s:mad:

Did you ring them

• Advertisement

_Sidhe_ wrote: »

Did you ring them

Not yet, little point as they would lead me in circles with checking everything. I will call them later in the week, and demand a downgraded package to 10MB. No sense paying for something i can't get. That should spur them to perhaps check the line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

497025967.png
    Alright here in Dublin. It did have a little wobble about an hour ago, as if they were doing something their end.

Im in galway, downloaded 120 gigs in last two days at 2.3MB/s, i bet its me slowing you guys down ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Not yet, little point as they would lead me in circles with checking everything. I will call them later in the week, and demand a downgraded package to 10MB. No sense paying for something i can't get. That should spur them to perhaps check the line.

They'll probably hit you with a downgrade charge for that!! :p

Max Power1 wrote: »
    They'll probably hit you with a downgrade charge for that!! :p

Doubt it, have been doing it for 2 years :p (i queue files to dl and dl them in bursts, 100-150gigs at a time).

As regards the slow speeds, i have seen numerous engineers working on upc "boxes" in the city over the last number of weeks. Looks like upgrades of some kind, that could be causeing speed problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

david7536 wrote: »
    Doubt it, have been doing it for 2 years :p (i queue files to dl and dl them in bursts, 100-150gigs at a time).

As regards the slow speeds, i have seen numerous engineers working on upc "boxes" in the city over the last number of weeks. Looks like upgrades of some kind, that could be causeing speed problems?

Yeah. I saw them working across from the city west shopping centre this evening on my way home from work . And not suprisingly my connection is down tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

david7536 wrote: »
    Doubt it, have been doing it for 2 years

They charged a friend of mine €10 as a "admin charge" when he went from a high end to a cheap BB package with UPC recently. He rang to query, and was told it was a downgrade charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

497219651.png

On wireless In dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

In Dublin on UPC 10mb line. No problem whatsoever for some time, fingers crossed :)

....and thats on a simple Netgear router.

497236835.png

Max Power1 wrote: »
    They charged a friend of mine €10 as a "admin charge" when he went from a high end to a cheap BB package with UPC recently. He rang to query, and was told it was a downgrade charge.

They have always charged this downgrade fee. I have no plan to downgrade though so i dont see why this is relevant?
    Yeah. I saw them working across from the city west shopping centre this evening on my way home from work . And not suprisingly my connection is down tonight

The op enquired about Galway so i gave some information relevant to *Galway*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

http://www.speedtest.net/result/497281621.png

497281621.png

im playing for 3mb download

Have it for last 3 years and cant complain in limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 IvanGrozny

My UPC bandwidth is also seriously crippled.

I have just moved to D15 (Clonsilla). UPC technician installed the modem&router this Saturday morning, I immediately ran speedtest.net, and it reported 9.5M down / 0.95M up, ~20ms ping - this for the Express package. My previous experience with NTL and the old 5Mb package was spotless, so I (foolishly) hoped it will be like that this time as well.

Then problems started:

- Sunday afternoon: tried Skype video call with my family, sound very choppy, video useless.
    - Monday afternoon/evening: Skype bad again, streaming TV stutters all the time; this on a supposed 10Mb down / 1Mb up line ???
    - So I run speedtest again - it shows barely 1-2Mb down, 500-600k up, and ping almost 300ms !!
    - Ran speedtest several times during the evening - down was anywhere between 300k (!!) and 3-4Mb. Up speed and ping suffered similarly.
    - It didn't improve until 2h in the morning, when I finally gave up
    - Today the speed was as advertised throughout the day, up until around 20h, then it started degrading. again
    - Every now and then, the speed would return to normal even as I'm writing this, but it doesn't last more than few minutes. I assume this means contention is not the cause - otherwise the service would be consistently bad throughout the peak period.

Since I haven't had recent NTL experience, can you tell me if this happens all the time? Or am I having such bad luck that their network turned to s***e the very day I signed up??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

this is me in navan at 11:45pm, but it's been the same more or less all evening (on the 20mbps package)

497322578.png

it's distinctly possible that there are problems in your general area. silly question, but have you called to report it to NTL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Rebooted modem

497344617.png

All good now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

497394635.png

I'm surprised at this result for me. Normally it's painfully slow. Then again it must be contention as it's 2:30am so everyone's in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Or, you could just ask them to check the line.:rolleyes:

Why would the agent on the call be worried about you downgrading, it won't mean anything to them.

They can test your line stats on the call.
    They just have to go through the usual checks with you, just as every tech agent for every company does, due to the fact that 90% of the calls that are made to tech lines are fixed that way.

Downgrading your pack rather than trying to fix it is quite simply cutting off your noes to spite your face.

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    Or, you could just ask them to check the line.:rolleyes:

Why would the agent on the call be worried about you downgrading, it won't mean anything to them.

They can test your line stats on the call.
    They just have to go through the usual checks with you, just as every tech agent for every company does, due to the fact that 90% of the calls that are made to tech lines are fixed that way.

Downgrading your pack rather than trying to fix it is quite simply cutting off your noes to spite your face.

Will call them when i get a chance. From experience i don't like calling them as it's a long wait on hold followed by the cheat sheet IT checks. It could take over 20 mins before i get them to check the line.

Also will probably downgrade anyway as i don't need the Ultra package. The 10MB line would be more than suficient for my needs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Sidhe is right though, i know it's frustrating as an end user to go through it all like that with someone on the end of the phone whgo is probably just reading off a list of checks to do, but from a % point of view the vast majority of issues are the ones with simple fixes.

you'd be amazed how many issues are quickly solved by nothing more exotic than a reboot. :)

but yes, it's a total pain in the ar$e having to do it every time you call. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 IvanGrozny

vibe666 wrote: »
    this is me in navan at 11:45pm, but it's been the same more or less all evening (on the 20mbps package)

497322578.png

it's distinctly possible that there are problems in your general area. silly question, but have you called to report it to NTL?

It's very bad again tonight. I'll try calling NTL tomorrow, but I'm keeping my expectations low wrt how much they are able/willing to help.

They're still throttling BitTorrent traffic as hard as the last time I used them. Also, the technician wasn't able to set up the NTL landline, even though I was initially told that the phone service is supported in the area.

I'll most likely go with BT for landline and broadband, and request the termination of broadband part of NTL contract (that should be possible within the initial 10 day period, no?). Will keep their digital TV though, it's as stable as ever and the new digital recorder box is really cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Same problem here in Lucan - 0.5Mbps down, 1.25Mbps up on the 20Mbps package :(

It must have been like that for days. I've had SLOW youtube videos all over the shop but didn't really test anything until now. And yes, I have rebooted modem + router + PC several times. That did not sort the problem...

Advertisement