Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Get Timer for Immersion Water Heater?

Options
  • 16-06-2009 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Due to ongoing problems with the gas heating in out apartment I want to switch to heating the water for our baths/showers through the immersion heater.

It has the standard Sink/Bath and On/Off switches, what I want is to install a timer to allow me to control this.

Can someone advise where I can pick one of these up in Dublin and how much I should be paying, I know the standard ones for a lamp etc are not suitable.

My brother is an electrician and can fit this for me, but if someone could let me know what exactly I need to get and where to get it I would appreciate it.

Am I right in saying this is what I need:
    http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=20001&catalogId=1500000701&langId=-1&searchTerms=immersion+timer

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

an 'apt' will do wired before the bath/sink switch.try to sort out the gas it would be better than electric if its zoned for HW only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Here's the setup, does it look like a switch will work? Please let me know quickly, am hoping to go pick one up this afternoon if it looks suitable.

xmodbp.jpg

2yuiyhz.jpg

At the moment its costing me about €25 a week just to heat hot water using gas, if I set up a timer I can do it for about €10 a month with electricity.

It's taking ages to get the problems with the gas sorted (Bord gais can't work out what's wrong) so it will work out cheaper very quickly if I can get this set up.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Thanks for the reply, does it look as though I would be able to fit a timer to my setup?

And would the more basic homebase one do the trick, I don't need anything fancy?

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Can I get clarification that it should be possible to install this, about to head off and get one, don't want to do so till I'm sure it will work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

At the moment its costing me about €25 a week just to heat hot water using gas, if I set up a timer I can do it for about €10 a month with electricity.
    I hate to tell you this Bob, but heating a given amount of water by electricity is far more expensive than heating it by gas!!!

nightsaver and horstmann/economy 7 timer for bath/ sink(boost)might be nearer the cost of gas heating as you have an insulated cylinder. if you're determined to switch.maybe you have nightsaver already.i don't know the maths on this afraid. i would normally assume gas/oil is the preferred option assuming its zoned separate

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This will reduce the cost, but gas is still far cheaper!

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    I hate to tell you this Bob, but heating a given amount of water by electricity is far more expensive than heating it by gas!!!

I beg to differ:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055593462

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I guess that other switch panel that's in the photo is connecting to an automatic valve on the gas boiler's circulation loop? Have you tried jumping the automatic valves to 'on'/open - maybe it's just a control system problem?

Got the switch and tried to fit it. Tried to fit it after fuse spur and before switches, this would seem to make sence, however the alarm seemed to be wired into this as well so it kept setting the alarm off when the timer was off.

Decided to fit timer in between switches and immersion instead, unfortunately this cable contains 4 wires (2 lives, 1 for sink, 1 for bath) and the timer switch 1 live.

What I'd like is to just have the timer control the sink element on the immersion.

When I wired up the brown lives the bath element worked and was controlled though the timer. However when I tried the black wire instead, which I assumed controled the sink, it would not work.

Any ideas what might be wrong or how to get this working?

I've seen a few other posts on the net which seem to suggest it is possible to do but am not sure how.

the timer is wired before immersion switch .you have other equipment spurred off immersion circuit so it's a little more complicated.get a sparkie to fit it.

Thanks, not quite sure what you mean.

I would have thought if I could wire up the bath element it should be possible to do the sink one also? Can't work out why it's not working.

give your brother a shout on this one.it would be preferable to separate the alarm from the immersion circuit if possible .the timer can be fitted at the fusebox for convenience(assuming no spurs on circuit) or directly where the immersion switch is now and fit the immersion switch beside.you'd also be looking to check for rcd control/insulation resistance and bath/sink correct wiring.there's quite a few things to look out for along with the tricky connecting, that you may not be aware of.

Advertisement