Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean URLs

Options
  • 16-06-2009 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Just a question really, have you ever considered adding clean URL functionality? To explain, it would replace:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=151

with

http://www.boards.ie/soccer/

I have worked on projects in the past where we have implemented this type of thing, but they were .NET solutions, so I'm not sure how achievable it is in PHP based stuff, but I really think this feature would be a big help; particularly to people such as myself who browser using a phone (iPhone) and prefer the full experience to the m.boards.ie experience.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's already been/being done on a case-by-case basis.

Try http://soccer.boards.ie for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Ah ok, I wasn't talking about subdomains but I guess that will do as an alternative.

Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

The problem is that there are conflicting forum names Soccer -> Soccer for example, or Games -> Games. Also there are extremely long forum names that have to be manually shortened, you'll have people debating on how they should be shortened, etc, there will be a propensity to change titles, alter forum names etc (as there already is), which, if we're not careful about will break search engine references. If an admin decides to be mischievous they can create a forum called vbulletin and break the entire site, or even accidentally name a forum after a subdirectory and break things.

It just opens up a lot of problems to my mind right now, I don't even like what we're doing currently, because there's no reason why we should just have the top 20 or so forums with subdomain references and not the rest, plus I really, really don't like using subdomains for redirects but I was overruled on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I agree with you Ross in that I do not like subdomains myself for redirects. I prefer the URL type that I suggested because it creates a hierarchy for your site map and Google finds it very nice for indexing, therefore improving the search results of each forum.

Can see where you are coming from on the naming conventions though.

Might be something to look at into the future, if it is implemented globally it can be very helpful for creating menu's and forum lists from the DB nice and easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Yes, I'd really like to put together a really nice, comprehensive URL mapping scheme for Boards.ie at some point, it might even solve some tertiary architectural issues.

Will certainly be revisiting this at some point, cheers for the input.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Jonathan wrote: »
    Not much benefit to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Does this mean the Cake and Pie forum can't use [NOPARSE]pie.boards.ie[/NOPARSE]

And that After Hours can't use [NOPARSE]muppet.boards.ie[/NOPARSE]

www-srv-3.boards.ie -> can't think of a joke for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Does this mean the Cake and Pie forum can't use http://pie.boards.ie

And that After Hours can't use http://muppet.boards.ie

www-srv-3.boards.ie -> can't think of a joke for this.

All jokes aside, the first two both resolve to the load balancer and the last one encourages you (with a 301) to go to the load balancer. While it has been historically possible to use some of our web servers directly we don't guarantee that will remain the case.

Just so ye all know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Not much benefit to it though.
    Much shorter links for twitter and the sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Are you asking how it works or why?

How: wildcard DNS records
    Why: Dunno, that decision wasn't mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mandaiben

Apparently there was a solution for this discussed before (link) but that thread seems to have died abruptly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I like the shortended links you get for Adverts. It's tidy, I like some neatness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Much shorter links for twitter and the sort.
    Most of which will use bit.ly, tinyurl or url.ie or short.ie anyway.

Most of which will use bit.ly, tinyurl or url.ie or short.ie anyway.
    Well with the length of boards urls at the moment, they are nearly 140 chars already. But if boards did their bit and shortened the url, then i guess i could spare a few characters in the name of supporting boards by url name dropping.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement