Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excel query re conversion of data

• 16-06-2009 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a spreadsheet (Excel 2003) with data in it in the form of decimal numbers (corresponding to a number of hours, e.g. 4.5 is 4 hours 30 mins.

I'm trying to get Excel to convert the 4.5 into something like 4:30, but I'm failing miserably. The formating of the cell to h:mm doesn't work. I've tried using the =TEXT function also, to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Add in a column beside the one with the number of hours. Add in the following formula (assuming that the no. of hours is in Column B)

=B1/24

This will give you the number of days that the figure corresponds to. Then just apply a time format to your new column and you'll get the number of hours in a time format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Tried that, no luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I updated my post, did you try that one? It works for me :)

Tried all sorts of formatting but failed.

OK, I've got A1 = 2360 (which is a number of minutes). In B1, I need the corresponding number of hours and minutes. At the moment, B1 contains =A1/60, which gives 38.33333.

I'd like it to show 38:20 in a format that I can then use to add successive entries in column B to give a total number of hours and minutes.

Ok, panic over, I managed to sort it.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Excel counts time by days

hence you have to divide number of hours by 24 to get the fraction of a day

Advertisement