Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skiff Blueprints

• 16-06-2009 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Myself and my dad are going to (try to!) build a simple sailing skiff and are looking for some plans/blueprints. Basically we want some really simple, no longer than 18" (around 14/15" would be perfect) and easyish to make without specialiest equipment. Can anybody suggest websites etc that we could find plans? Or if anybody has had any experience building these and would like to give us a few pointers that would be much appreciated too!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Don't know if it meets your requirements, but I built a Puddle Duck Racer and have been getting good use from it. It's a little under 8 ft long, 4 ft beam, standard sail plan is 59 sq ft. Very stable and can carry a good amount of weight.

It comfortably takes myself and a friend out and can be rowed easily (not the most efficient of course) if you need to get back to shore.

Speed and performance... probably less than a topper :o but with a nice high boom and tons of stability it's even easier to sail than a topper (and you can comfortably fit 2 adults). Goes on on the roof of my car without much effort either.

I started mine back in January and spent far too long making it, with a little focus you could have it together in a couple of weekends, without missing the summer -- especially if you'd ever held a power tool before ;) I know it comes nowhere near anything you can buy but it's a great feeling sailing along in something you made completely yourself, from the hull to the mast and sail.

There's a good online community and the plans are free, lots of experimentation and choice available, class rules basically only apply to the lower 10" of the hull.

If you're looking for something a bit fancier, the Goat Island Skiff is worth checking out. It's a design by Michael Storer, he's also done some work on the PDR, his version is the Oz PDRacer MkII (plans are AUS$20 and well worth it).

He's also working on a single handed "raid" boat, the RAID41, though the plans aren't available yet. I'm considering starting one of these once those short winter days come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

rosiec wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Myself and my dad are going to (try to!) build a simple sailing skiff and are looking for some plans/blueprints. Basically we want some really simple, no longer than 18" (around 14/15" would be perfect) and easyish to make without specialiest equipment. Can anybody suggest websites etc that we could find plans? Or if anybody has had any experience building these and would like to give us a few pointers that would be much appreciated too!! :D

This guy has plans for monohull dinghies as well as catamarans http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/ He has a very good reputation. Maybe try a catamaran - although you will probably buy one in good condition cheaper than you could build one. Hulls (mono or multi) can be built quite cheaply - it is the mast, fittings and sails that are the major cost.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭rosiec

Cheers guys, really appreciate all the advice. I'm now off to spend a happy hour checking out all your lovely web links! Dog your paddle duck racer is deadly looking, fairplay to you!

Advertisement