Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrot cake

Options
  • 16-06-2009 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

So who loves carrot cake like i do?

I could eat a whole carrot cake and then some. Farmers market on campus every tuesday and i always help myself to a slice (or 4)!

Im eating it as we speak.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

/puts up hand

Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I am a big fan..... Rachel Allen has a tasty one in her 'Bake' cookbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Love it!! Stacked high with cream cheese icing. I do get very upset if someone has hidden raisins in it but a heavy hand with the walnuts is much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I prefer walnuts to the raisins myself too.
    not that i don't like em (sultanas are better in baking) but to go with the carrot yum
    carrot_stock_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

I must agree about the raisins, I don't like them in carrot cake either, I also prefer using pecan nuts.

It's my absolute favourite cake.... fullstop!

It must be moist, with that hint of cinnamon, I make it with 3 layers so there's some extra vanilla bean cream cheese frosting, mmmmmm!

(excuse the bright orange icing... was made as a b'day cake ;) )
    CarrotCakeSlice01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

On another note, does anyone have any tips for removing a carrot cake from a loaf tin?

I lined the loaf tin with baking paper and it was fine lifting it out of tin, but when I tried to get rid of the baking paper from the cake tp put it on a wire rack, the cake kind of fell apart in the middle :(

Anyone any tricks?

On another note, does anyone have any tips for removing a carrot cake from a loaf tin?

I lined the loaf tin with baking paper and it was fine lifting it out of tin, but when I tried to get rid of the baking paper from the cake tp put it on a wire rack, the cake kind of fell apart in the middle :(

Anyone any tricks?

I'd say let the cake cool for a while on the wire rack with the paper still on then remove the paper, I've found warm cake is still pretty delicate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pjays

You have to leave it cool for a while before removing it. I could live for it. It has to be moist and with lots of icing. I use both walnuts and pecans when i make it. Yum yum!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Love it!!!!! Entenmanns used to do a gorgeous one a few years back but sadly
    they have disappeared from the shelves for some reason:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Oh I love Carrot cake, I actually had it for my wedding cake, It was delicious..

I have been on weight watchers for the last nine months so it has been a while.. Must get a slice after my weigh in on wednesday:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭georgem25

I love carrot cake.

A shop near where I used to work did beautiful carrot cake muffins - delicious. Unfortunatley they closed down :(

Made carrot cake for the first time last month and was delighted with how it turned out. Everyone loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Hey guys,
    Resurrecting this thread because I'm looking for a recipe, I've never made carrot cake before, of course there are loads of internet recipes but if anyone has a favorite or a tried and tested one I'd love to hear it! And any tips or general advice would be great thanks!

Can't wait to make the icing stuff... mmmm *drool*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Here is my recipe for carrot cake that I posted last year.

It is by far the most popular recipe I bake, people go (wal)nuts for it :) It's moist, keeps well and makes a fab birthday cake, or just a simple loaf cake for tea.

Enjoy! Edna.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Thanks very much Edna, sadly I didn't get a chance to check back before I had to bake and ended up going for a Victoria Sponge instead, but I've bookmarked your recipe and I'll let you know when I do get to it! Thanks again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Quality wrote: »
    Oh I love Carrot cake, I actually had it for my wedding cake, It was delicious..

I have been on weight watchers for the last nine months so it has been a while.. Must get a slice after my weigh in on wednesday:o

The tesco light choices slices are only a point and a half and they are nice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

sounds crazy but there is a Carrot Cake Recipe on the Odlums self raising flour pack which i've adapted to be gluten free which is absolutely delicious and moist, and freezes very well. It's also easy for a beginner/novice carrot caker! BUt weirdly the 2 listed on their site is not the one from the packet. I will type it up now!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

sorry here's that recipe! Just made up a batch today, will bung most in the freezer as they freeze perfectly and take no time at all to defrost. As i said very easy to whip up

This amount suitable for 2 2lb loaf tins, or 1 large round cake tin [10”]. Alternatively makes 40-50 carrot fairy cakes!
    Odlums Recipe Carrot Cake
    400g/14oz Self raising flour*
    175g/60z butter (melted)
    175g/6oz brown sugar
    125g/4oz granulated Sugar
    3 eggs
    1x312 Tin mandarin oranges
    2 teaspoons vanilla essence
    Rind 1 orange
    1 tbsp cinnamon
    75g/3oz dessicated coconut
    4 medium carrots, grated
    50g/20z chopped walnuts (optional!)
    Icing
    400g/14oz icing sugar
    225g cream cheese e.g. Philadelphia
    50oz butter
    2 tsp vanilla essence

1. Preheat oven to 180/350f/gas 4. Line tins
    2. Beat butter, sugars, and eggs in mixing bowl. Beat until creamy [by hand or mixer]
    3. Add mandarin oranges, vanilla essence, and orange rind, and combine well.
    4. Add the flour and cinnamon.
    5. Add the coconut, carrots and walnuts if using, and mix well.
    6. Transfer to tins/cases.
    7. For loaf, bake for 40-50m until firm to touch.
    8. For fairy cakes, bake for about 15 mins.

9. Meanwhile, combine ingredients for icing and beat until smooth. Using a handheld mixer can whip it into a nice airy consistency. Spread over cakes when cool.
    10. Enjoy.

*for gluten free alternative, i use 12oz brown rice flour+2oz soya flour+3tsps gluten free baking powder :D

Louise~ wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Resurrecting this thread because I'm looking for a recipe, I've never made carrot cake before, of course there are loads of internet recipes but if anyone has a favorite or a tried and tested one I'd love to hear it! And any tips or general advice would be great thanks!

Can't wait to make the icing stuff... mmmm *drool*

This is my favourite carrot cake recipe by far. I make it a 3 layer 8" cake but you can make it a 2 layer 9" cake as well. It's really moist and everyone I've made it for absolutely love it.

http://www.mandymortimer.com/carrot-cake/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I've never made carrot cake myself, a bit of a disaster when it comes to culinary or gastronomic ventures.
    However the nicest carrot cake I've ever tasted was in the interpretive centre at Newgrange -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 MisterMom

OMG, carrot cake has got to be the nicest cake in the world. I absolutely love it. I bought a lovely one in dunnes a few weeks ago........ nearly finished it off by myself :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement