Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[C&C] Mountainbike racing

• 16-06-2009 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I took these at the XC NPS race organised by MAD Mtb club at Three Rock (great event, thanks). Using a 450D with Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 and built-in flash.

Found it interesting, my first time shooting a race, was a challenge to juggle shutter speed / composition / use of flash / lighting - was bright and sunny but obviously darker in the forest. Shot most at high ISO (1600) and many using flash. Was able to move around a fair bit between groups of riders.
    I'm trying to get the exposure right (with flash) so that i get detail of both rider and background.

Would appreciate any comments - on these 3 in particular, or on the set they link to.

#1 : 3625337387_ecb09e9585.jpg

#2 : 3625262659_f0f0c44862.jpg

#3 : 3626187628_7921b0a862.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

It's pretty dark in those forests, particulary in summer, so I think you had the right idea using flash. You managed well with the exposures. I'd say no 1 is the strongest because you got up close. They all lack a feeling of speed in my mind though.

You can use the darkness to your advantage and choose a slow shutter speed to blur the background while using the flash to freeze the rider. I took the shot below using the same lens as you and the pop-up flash on a 400d (also at Three Rock).

3090580698_6f9ff036a8.jpg

Takes a bit of experimentation to balance the exposure as you say. Going close to the rider with low-power flash worked for me. Using Tv at 1/25 s would be where i'd start for this kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

thanks - never thought of using slower shutter speed - will play around next time as yours looks good. Think most of mine were 1/100 or 1/200 as wanted to have lens almost wide open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Some nice pics there, would like to give this a go how would I find out when these events are on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Some nice pics there, would like to give this a go how would I find out when these events are on!

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Here's the calendar, there are lots of races on : http://www.irishxcmtb.com/calendar/

It's a friendly bunch. you can wander round the course (once you're sensible) and people always like seeing shots of themselves.

thanks for the compliments - some feedback I got elsewhere was to shoot RAW, expose for the highlights, and postprocess in LightRoom (was having blown-out skies in the bright sunlight).

• Advertisement
Advertisement