Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter Catalogue

Options
  • 16-06-2009 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Because the number of gyms and fighters has grown quite large in the last 5 years I'm sure promoters and fans are finding it difficult to find information on Irish fighters.

Therefore I think a sherdog/mmaweekly esque catalogue would be quite useful as having a some what accurate record of a fighter's experience would make match making easier.

I attempted to do this last year but had difficultly actually getting all results for all Irish shows (and shows Irish fighters have fought on abroad). I basically just searched boards.ie, fighttalk.co.uk and cagewarriors.com for ''official' results. So I returned results for most events but not all.

The other problem I had was distinguishing between A/B/C and other levels from card to card. Sherdog etc. only listed fully professional fights (or should). Obviously i wouldn't include mmaleague results in fighter profiles (unless people think that would be useful) but should a guy with 5 wins at C and 2 loses at A have a 0-2 record or a 5-2 record or a 0-2 (pro) 5-0 (amat) record?

Why am i posting this thread. Because I want

1. Results

If people had reliable results from different shows I'd be delighted to receive them and put them into a searchable online web catalogue similar to sherdog. Otherwise I'll go with what I can get from the message boards and correct them as I go along.

2. Feedback on what you think is important

Wins and loses for all shows in rings/cages?
    just professional
    a distinction between pro and amateur
    results for the league (mark.leonard o.O)

3. Feedback

Do you think it would be useful?
    Do you think people would use it?

Post back or email me if you like kevin.rc.ie @ gmail.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Sounds like a good idea to me, if ya need a hand . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

The league results should be catered for by the MMA League site, so you needn't display them, what we could so is share our fighter tables so that when a League fighter has a full rules record they can click through to your site and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mcdermott

I'm about too if you need a hand

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mcdermott

also, I think a distinction between pro and amateur would be the best way to work things...

thats the way we have things broken up for fighters on our site

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Borderline thread hijack here-

Is there even an irish MMA news website? That could be something to deffo look into

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

i would say this is it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

cowzerp wrote: »
    i would say this is it.

Definitely room for improvement so. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Would it not be a good idea to have a website dedicated to this catalogue?

For example where

1. coaches can log in and add or remove names from the list of fighters for their respective gyms and adjust the fight records when needed.

2. promoters can log in to check the availability of fighters in each weight class.

3. people searching for fight records can select the gym to display their list of fighters, and then select the fighter to display their fight record in A, B, C, D and E class, and MMA League.

I know it would be a lot of work and could do a lot more than what I listed but would it not be well worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Doesn't mmauniverse have that facility?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Perhaps it does, but I think a dedicated Irish website would be better. It's just a thought anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Me and a friend of mine will soon have an MMA website online, it's just going to cover news, reviews, interviews, etc... and not just UFC news, we want to cover the UK and Irish seen. If anyone would like to help out as a news poster for UK & Irish MMA send me a PM and we can sort something out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I ran a free newsletter for Irish MMA a while back and while we had great content and we tried to give people a good issue for the three it lasted, the support from the clubs simply wasn't there. I asked around and mailed a lot for news stories, upcoming events etc. and recieved nothing, probably because people are busy enough as it is. Mind you when I told people there would be a free club listing they found the time to mail quick enough :D

That said, there are a lot more clubs and promotions now so I hope your website is a success man.

Advertisement