Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RE: Buying a ford focus 1.6 tdci zetec climate

• 16-06-2009 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

hello

im looking at buying a 05/06 ford focus 1.6 tdci zetec climate. have been checking around and these cars are just not available in the south so having to look north (also the models in the south have low spec and are overpriced).

does anyone have one of these? any comments to make, good r bad?

also just wondering does anyone know if the ghia model has the climate windscreen that the climate pack has?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

mac09 wrote: »

also just wondering does anyone know if the ghia model has the easyclear windscreen that the climate pack?

cheers

Most of the Focus diesel's I've driven in the south have the quick clear windscreen as standard - and most of those are LX models.

No real issues with the Focus, it's a great allround car. Some of the 1.6Tdci's have given turbo issues but at high mileage.

Can't comment on the Zetec Climate spec as I've never seen one. Zetec is rare enough in ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mac09

R.O.R wrote: »
    Most of the Focus diesel's I've driven in the south have the quick clear windscreen as standard - and most of those are LX models.

No real issues with the Focus, it's a great allround car. Some of the 1.6Tdci's have given turbo issues but at high mileage.

Can't comment on the Zetec Climate spec as I've never seen one. Zetec is rare enough in ROI.

cheers thanks

when talking about the quick clear, i was actually referring to the climate package as it clears ice and such of the front and rear windows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

cheers thanks

when talking about the quick clear, i was actually referring to the climate package as it clears ice and such of the front and rear windows

Heated front & rear windscreens, or side windows?

Heated front windscreen is what I'm talking about above. Clears the ice off the front windscreen a lot quicker than any air blower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Zetec was a funny spec in the UK. It was the Irish Zetec spec without air con and the heated screen. Zetec climate had air con but I dont know about the heated screen.

My dads Ghia has the heated front screen if that helps

R.O.R wrote: »
    Heated front & rear windscreens, or side windows?

Heated front windscreen is what I'm talking about above. Clears the ice off the front windscreen a lot quicker than any air blower.

wow really so the standard lx in the south has that function. have checked the uk cars mainly in the north and its only available on the zetec climate, and havent found it on the ghia but it must be there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Zetec spec. here includes air con and heated windscreen. 1.6 TDCI may not have been available, and if it was might have been detuned to 90bhp(?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Zetec Climate is a UK only spec and is pretty similar to the standard Zetec sold here. Most MkII Focus I have come across have the heated front windscreen. I think it was only an option on Freedom/Style or early LX models here. I had it in mine and it was dead handy, takes less than 1 min to clear the frost from the windscreen.

1.6 TDCi was available in two versions in Ireland, 90bhp and 110bhp. Most LX or Zetec models had the 90bhp version whereas the Ghia was 110bhp. The 110bhp is a world appart from the 90bhp version and I'd recommend it over the 90bhp version.

I had the Ghia TDCi and it was a great car, only issue I had was the boot lock which had to be replaced. A known problem with the Focus back in 2005/2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I have the heated front screen in my MK1 Focus! Its a godsend IMO.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Zetec Climate is a UK only spec and is pretty similar to the standard Zetec sold here. Most MkII Focus I have come across have the heated front windscreen. I think it was only an option on Freedom/Style or early LX models here. I had it in mine and it was dead handy, takes less than 1 min to clear the frost from the windscreen.

1.6 TDCi was available in two versions in Ireland, 90bhp and 110bhp. Most LX or Zetec models had the 90bhp version whereas the Ghia was 110bhp. The 110bhp is a world appart from the 90bhp version and I'd recommend it over the 90bhp version.

I had the Ghia TDCi and it was a great car, only issue I had was the boot lock which had to be replaced. A known problem with the Focus back in 2005/2006.

+1

Good feedback

i have been looking at the spec on lots of mark 2 focuses and noticed that there is a wide variety out there.

only problem getting a zetec climate is that there are less of them and once available sell very quick (contacted two sellers on day of advertisement to organise a viewing and by the next day cars were sold)

so can anyone tell me what the difference in specs are for lx sport zetec ghia

i want alloys and good interior package with the ice clearing function, as far as im aware all of this only comes as standard in the ghia in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

LX is electruc front windows and heated screen and the usual basics these days.

Sport is an LX with 3 spoke leather steering wheel, fogs and alloys.

Zetec as LX with flip key, sports seats, sports suspension, air con, leather wheel, alloys, fogs, different trim and arm rest

Ghia as LX with flip key, alloys, cruise, leather steering wheel, air con, arn rest, fogs, different trim, auto lights/wipers, auto dim rear view mirror and electric rear windows.

Sport was never sold here.

When the MkII Focus was launched here in late 2004 there was a limited edition called the "First Edition" which basically was an LX model but also came with alloy wheels, cruise control, front fog lights and quick clear front windscreen. This limited edition only ran until mid 2005 afaik.

From 2006 TO 2007 a Connection Pack was available for both the LX and Zetec models. It cost about €500 extra on top of the normal price at the time.

LX Connection Pack:
    Front and rear electric windows,
    Keyless entry and keyless start,
    Bluetooth and voice activated stereo,
    16" alloy wheels,
    Front fog lights,
    Colour coded door mirrors and door handles.

Zetec Connection Pack:
    Dual Zone climate controlled air conditioning,
    17" alloy wheels,
    Front fog lights.

Ghia models are rare as they were expensive new but cost little over a similar Zetec model second hand making them good value used. One of the Zetec Connection or a Ghia models would be my choice. What I would avoid though is basic Freedom, LX or Style models and anything with a 1.4 litre engine as they are pretty basic and underpowered.

Also note though that the Zetec has a sports suspension and sports seats, mated with the 17" alloy wheels this makes the ride very firm which could be an issue if you have a bad back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I agree with Bazz. The Connection pack is very desirable. On a Zetec the bigger wheels and lower profile tyres coupled with sports seats/suspension make the ride firm, but in no way harsh. On the upside it further improves the already more than decent handling. Auto lights, wipers, and an auto dimming rear view mirror were included also.

p.s. Front fog lights were standard on all Zetecs. A rare Titanium model had a better 1.6 petrol engine (115bhp vs 100) but the Connection pack wasn't an option on them.

Sport was never sold here.

When the MkII Focus was launched here in late 2004 there was a limited edition called the "First Edition" which basically was an LX model but also came with alloy wheels, cruise control, front fog lights and quick clear front windscreen. This limited edition only ran until mid 2005 afaik.

From 2006 TO 2007 a Connection Pack was available for both the LX and Zetec models. It cost about €500 extra on top of the normal price at the time.

LX Connection Pack:
    16" alloy wheels,
    Front fog lights,
    Colour coded door mirrors and door handles.

Zetec Connection Pack:
    Dual Zone climate controlled air conditioning,
    17" alloy wheels,
    Front fog lights.

Ghia models are rare as they were expensive new but cost little over a similar Zetec model second hand making them good value used. One of the Zetec Connection or a Ghia models would be my choice. What I would avoid though is basic Freedom, LX or Style models and anything with a 1.4 litre engine as they are pretty basic and underpowered.

Also note though that the Zetec has a sports suspension and sports seats, mated with the 17" alloy wheels this makes the ride very firm which could be an issue if you have a bad back.

+1

cheers bazz

good comments, it appears that a good zetec or ghia is almost impossible to find in the south so im having to look north where you have the zetec, zetec climate and the ghia. the lx is very basic there and the sport is just the lx with alloys and sports seats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Keep hunting, it's worth trying to find one with all the toys as lower spec versions can feel spartan. I am a year into Focus ownership (top spec) and am hugely impressed with the car, it really ticks so many boxes.

Keep hunting, it's worth trying to find one with all the toys as lower spec versions can feel spartan. I am a year into Focus ownership (top spec) and am hugely impressed with the car, it really ticks so many boxes.

good stuff

couple of questions

what model did you get?

did you import it?

2008 2.0 TDCi Titanium from the UK. The nicest spec IMO, the Ghia freaked me out with its fake wood!

Not my car but same model..

ford_focus-2008_r15.jpg

yeah that is a nice motor alrite

lucky you im looking at 05/06 zetec climate or focus havent come across a single titanium in my search

Titanium was only ever sold here in 3 door form and 1.6 litre petrol.

The reason you are finding it hard to find a Zetec Climate here is because it was never sold here. The Zetec sold in Ireland has most if not all of the features the Zetec Climate had in the UK. A Zetec Connection will have even more features.

Titanium was only ever sold here in 3 door form and 1.6 litre petrol.

The reason you are finding it hard to find a Zetec Climate here is because it was never sold here. The Zetec sold in Ireland has most if not all of the features the Zetec Climate had in the UK. A Zetec Connection will have even more features.

yeah found that out alrite

do you know if the zetec in ireland has the heated windscreen front and back for deicing

• Advertisement

yeah found that out alrite

do you know if the zetec in ireland has the heated windscreen front and back for deicing

Yes all Focus models bar the early LX models have the quick clear front windscreen. Every car has a rear heated windscreen these days.

It is easy to tell anyway. Below the heater controlls there are two square buttons for the front and rear heated screens. If it doesn't have a front heated windscreen then it will only have one button:

media?id=6196467&width=400&height=300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

I imported a black 5dr 2006 1.6tdci 110hp zetec climate focus from Leeds area in the UK only 2 months ago.

It has 60k miles and paid £5,800 (1 owner and FSH). VRT was €2271 as they valued it at €14200:mad:

Brilliant car, great economy, very pokey and I got a lovely surpise in the post today, a €511 VRT refund!!! :D

It only has 5bhp less than the older designed 8valve 1.8 tdci engine

mullingar wrote: »
    I imported a black 5dr 2006 1.6tdci 110hp zetec climate focus from Leeds area in the UK only 2 months ago.

It has 60k miles and paid £5,800 (1 owner and FSH). VRT was €2271 as they valued it at €14200:mad:

Brilliant car, great economy, very pokey and I got a lovely surpise in the post today, a €511 VRT refund!!! :D

do you really think its very pokey? i thought it was roomy enough

im looking a one in the north at the moment

05focus zetec climate 110bhp with 50k on the clock hoping to get it for a bout 6000 seems that you got a good deal there

i checked the online vrt calculator and it valued the car at 9300 and 16% is payable

I think by pokey he means quick. :)

I think by pokey he means quick. :)

haha do you think so?

alright then

thought the mildly negative didnt fit in so well with the other more positive comments

did you find it costly to fly over to buy the car in uk and other associated costs that add up?

My total trip expenses:

1 x Bus Eireann bus €10 from Mullingar to Dublin Airport at 4am
    1 x Ryanair flight to East Midlands €60 (return, just in case!)
    1 x Taxi in UK from airport to dealer @ £20 (~€25)
    1 x 1/2 tank diesel £25 (~€30)
    1 x Fast Ferry £130 (~€150)

Got home at 7:30pm same day

Total transport: €275

So car cost: €6,350 (£5800)
    + VRT charge: €2271
    - VRT refund : €511

Grand total: €8385

Edit:

I just checked the VRT website, ALL 06 FOCUS'S ARE NOW AT THEIR TRUE OMSP PRICES!!

Do I find it pokey (quick)?

Yes, the official specs are for the:
    1.6 110bhp: 117mph, 0-62 in 10.9secs and a great 62.7 mpg combined.
    1.8 115bhp: 118mph, 0-62 in 10.8secs and 54.2 mpg combined.

More than meets me needs.

New UK Focus brochure is here:

http://view.atdmt.com/action/moefor_eBrochurerequestFocus_10

• Advertisement

cheers mullingar

u did well with the sterling rate circa 91p to the euro, its now at 85.7 so a bit of a difference

did you bring bank draft or pay by credit card

Credit card,

there was a surcharge of 2%. The agreed price of the car was £5700 so it cost £114 for the surcharge.

There are a lot of advantages and finnancial safety measures by paying with a credit card to a motor dealer (eg if the car was a 'lemon' you could do a charge back and reject the goods). well worth the premium.

Also the credit card exchange rate is usually better than the foreign exchange rates in banks

hey guys

so i test drove a 05 ford focus 1.6 tdci zetec climate today.

excellent body and and interior condition.

found while cruising that the exterior noise was fine, no worse than the majority of other cars

however upon acceleration the car was growling rather than purring, and i wasnt accelerating harshly.

this put me off this car, any of the owners of there care to comment on the acceleration noise of their focus?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bcos

Dont know if you got a car but my dad is selling his 2005 focus 1.6 tdci, has alloys, sunroof and is nice spec irish car, is on car zone if you look for focus 2005 in sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

im looking a one in the north at the moment

05focus zetec climate 110bhp with 50k on the clock hoping to get it for a bout 6000 seems that you got a good deal there

i checked the online vrt calculator and it valued the car at 9300 and 16% is payable

I bought a focus last june around the date you posted, think it was this one however it wasn't a climate. no A/C or front windscreen heater. Great car, no problems at all :)

Advertisement