Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

And Jedward do capture the essence of Tiger culture with stunning precision. Born and raised within its brassy ambit, they embody its ruling values to perfection. They have boundless ambition and no talent; phenomenal energy and no point; hyper-confidence and no substance. They are completely immune to useless emotions like embarrassment and shame. With their American accents and plastic appearance (they look like they’re actually designed as models from which toy manufacturers will make Jedward dolls), they are supremely vacuous.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/1103/1224257961995.html

Bit of a cutting article, and typically enough when The Irish Times "lower" themselves into writing an article about showbiz, it is a supremely insulting and snobbish piece.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Lemme guess...The Mail?
    No, Digital Spy
    asdasd wrote: »
    Link? Was it the lice thing?
    No it's more recent. I know its bad to say something then not back it up with the link but I almost feel mean posting it places, its really unfair to them and people don't need to know their personal business.
    However Digital Spy feel different and you'll find it there or if you must pm me. I just don't want to post it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Bit of a cutting article, and typically enough when The Irish Times "lower" themselves into writing an article about showbiz, it is a supremely insulting and snobbish piece.

Quite. O'Toole is man of the people until it comes to what the actual people actually like. Then he is, merely, a snob.

If jedward represent a dying culture, then that culture as not as bad as I thought it was ( and no fan of the Celtic tiger excesses, me). Talent and shyness are less useful to the world than some talent, allied with drive and ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I think I found the one you're talking about Deise Girl...

That's just low :(

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/1103/1224257961995.html

It's true, though.

• Advertisement

I think I found the one you're talking about Deise Girl...

That's just low :(
    Yeh I think its really, really unfair to them. But tbh I don't see it being as much of a problem after the show! I think they have a few female fans...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I just saw the DS article in question and it's awful rubbish that I think will only help Jedward go further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mailblaney

i wonder who will come on the show and sing with John and Edward when they get to the final? like beyonce and alexandra burke.

jedward and ........

• Registered Users Posts: 43,877 ✭✭✭✭Basq

mailblaney wrote: »
    i wonder who will come on the show and sing with John and Edward when they get to the final? like beyonce and alexandra burke.

jedward and ........
    Bros?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

basquille wrote: »
    Bros?

Mickey Harte? Haha!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I like Danni this year, but I'd like her even more if she (and Louis, but he's a bit of a lost cause) would stop saying such cringe-worthy things like "Go the Froooo", every time she says something like that it just makes me shudder. She can be so cool and calm and collected but then she says stuff like that and she just makes me cringe. :o

*I never say cringe in real life, but Danni's behaviour warrants the use of this word imo

Whats wrong with the word 'cringe'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Biggins wrote: »

I like one of the comments on this article

Lillyme wrote:
    They should have moved Cheryl 'zero personality' to the far end, all she does is whisper and giggle with Simon,make eyes at the younger boys on stage and pretty much ignores both Louis and Danni.

Waste of space really,just a clothes horse with hair.
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Lindy Lou

They moved Dannii for her own safety, Cheryl packs a punch..

_39474666_tweedyvictim203.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/3207822.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ManofMunster

f***in hell, that's some punch! i'm truly in love now.

thought that fintan o'toole piece was a wind-up at first. we have a bunch of clueless eejits (whom we elected - only ourselves to blame) passing a piece of legislation tonight that may leave the country with a 54 billion euro hangover, and the IT's chief opinion writer is pontificating on a pair of 18-year-old talent show contestants? ludicrous. john and edward don't symbolise anything - they're just a pair of talentless young fellas who are getting a lucky break. and fair f***s to them.

how about an article opining how our so-called serious journalists neglected the country by cozying up to the ruling political and business classes for the past 25 years when they should have been out there investigating why billions were being frittered away on first class FAS flights, how our taoisigh were living so far beyond their means, why our banks' loan books were growing exponentially while the salaries of those expected to repay the debt barely kept pace with inflation. or perhaps FoT was too busy pondering the cultural impact of Ireland's Eurovision successes over the last forty years to actually do any serious journalism.

rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

f***in hell, that's some punch! i'm truly in love now.

thought that fintan o'toole piece was a wind-up at first. we have a bunch of clueless eejits (whom we elected - only ourselves to blame) passing a piece of legislation tonight that may leave the country with a 54 billion euro hangover, and the IT's chief opinion writer is pontificating on a pair of 18-year-old talent show contestants? ludicrous. john and edward don't symbolise anything - they're just a pair of talentless young fellas who are getting a lucky break. and fair f***s to them.

how about an article opining how our so-called serious journalists neglected the country by cozying up to the ruling political and business classes for the past 25 years when they should have been out there investigating why billions were being frittered away on first class FAS flights, how our taoisigh were living so far beyond their means, why our banks' loan books were growing exponentially while the salaries of those expected to repay the debt barely kept pace with inflation. or perhaps FoT was too busy pondering the cultural impact of Ireland's Eurovision successes over the last forty years to actually do any serious journalism.

rant over.

This is getting so ridiculous, is this the same reason that Fianna Fail can keep power in Ireland?

You idiot F***** shi***ckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I am not sure if this has been posted already but did I hear correctly that John and Edward will be singing Ghostbusters tomorrow night???? Hilarious!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Leona Lewis and Black Eyed Peas are on this week - i wonder will anyone be mentoring the candidates Leona, Fergie, Will.I.Am??????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

you do know we're only voting for john and edward for the laugh right? Its not cos they're talented, or deliberately entertaining. Its cos they're terrible and we like watching people embarrass themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

zuroph wrote: »
    you do know we're only voting for john and edward for the laugh right? Its not cos they're talented, or deliberately entertaining. Its cos they're terrible and we like watching people embarrass themselves.

And also because they expose this show for what it really is - a total spin and national karaoke :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

song list

John and Edward – Ghostbusters by Ray Parker from the film Ghostbusters

Danyl Johnson – Purple Rain by Prince from the film Purple Rain

Stacey Soloman – Son Of A Preacher Man by Dusty Springfield from the film Pulp Fiction

Olly Murs – Twist and Shout written by Phil Medley and Bert Russell from the film Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Jamie Archer – Unchained Melody by Alex North from the film Unchained

Joe McElderry – Circle Of Life by Elton John and Tim Rice from the film The Lion King

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

JP Liz wrote: »
    song list

Stacey Soloman – Son Of A Preacher Man by Dusty Springfield from the film Pulp Fiction

Olly Murs – Twist and Shout written by Phil Medley and Bert Russell from the film Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Joe McElderry – Circle Of Life by Elton John and Tim Rice from the film The Lion King

Lucie??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,877 ✭✭✭✭Basq

song list

That's a strong song list bar Danyl, Jamie and Joe.

Olly, Stacey and J&E's songs are actually fairly spot on.

zuroph wrote: »

See that's just evil. :p

song list

Lloyd??
    Joe singing Lion King... Can't complelty remeber the song so im gonna have to google, wish it was Hakuna Matata :D
    Staceys should be good, likewise Ollie. And of course Edward and John will be the usual excellent :P

song list

Stacey is going to sleep her way through another performance, she can't keep doing this.

Don't know what Simon is thinking with Jamie (he could be in trouble here unless he blows us away), and he's being distinctly uninspiring with Danyl again. Good song choice for Olly though.

Joe should be safe with that song.

J&E should survive at least another week, Ghostbusters, that's just genius. :p

Someone posted this on DS, it's original material from Danyl Johnson;

http://www.danyljohnsononline.moonfruit.com/#/music/4535083354

Have to say, he can at least hold a tune, I don't know why he's so out of tune on The X Factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

dolliemix wrote: »
    I like one of the comments on this article

Lillyme wrote:
    They should have moved Cheryl 'zero personality' to the far end, all she does is whisper and giggle with Simon,make eyes at the younger boys on stage and pretty much ignores both Louis and Danni.

Waste of space really,just a clothes horse with hair.
    :D:D:D
    Jealousy is hideously unflattering.

There is a rival rumour out there that the reason Dannii was moved was because since she and Simon are the ones who give the most constructive feedback, Simon wanted himself and Dannii to be the bookends on the panel. Makes sense since Louis tells nearly every act that they are going to be in the final and Cheryl is, well, Cheryl. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Stacey is going to sleep her way through another performance, she can't keep doing this.

Don't know what Simon is thinking with Jamie (he could be in trouble here unless he blows us away), and he's being distinctly uninspiring with Danyl again. Good song choice for Olly though.

Joe should be safe with that song.

J&E should survive at least another week, Ghostbusters, that's just genius. :p

Someone posted this on DS, it's original material from Danyl Johnson;

http://www.danyljohnsononline.moonfruit.com/#/music/4535083354

Have to say, he can at least hold a tune, I don't know why he's so out of tune on The X Factor.

I don't think so, Son of a Preacher Man is a great choice and will show her versatility if she pulls it off. Hopefully she'll have some moves to go with it.

Joe's song...Jesus what was Cheryl thinking? He needs to move away from the cheese.

Jamie's song...really not sure about this. I suppose he needs to move away from the karaoke rock style songs though.

Danyl...starts quiet, big climaxes, long notes...same as every other week!

Jedward...:D

Olly...he'll do well but he really needs to start getting more current songs. He's not "relevant" enough, as Simon would say! Love him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Rb wrote: »
    Jealousy is hideously unflattering.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why do people always presume "jealousy" is the reason for people criticising Cheryl Cole, or any good looking celebrity for that matter. A lot of people don't like her. People also criticise Simon and Louis, and jealousy isn't called in those instances!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I think maybe Jamie and Joe should switch songs...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement