Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

According to Wikipedia, next week's theme is Queen. There's no source for it yet, so it might not be true. Hope not, hate Queen. And Jedward have already performed one of their biggest hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Aidric wrote: »
    Without question imo. I raised this very point last season. Cowell controls every facet of that production right down to who wins it. His record company provide the recording deal, he isn't going to award it to someone with no appeal.

I wouldn't say he knows the result on the night but he definitely knows the results of previous weeks. I think he knew, having the knowledge of previous results, that he'd get the result he wanted by putting it to deadlock. He knew the chances were high last week that Lloyd out polled Rachel, and he knew last night that the chances were high that Jedward out polled Lucie. I have to hand it to him, in two weeks he has effectively guaranteed a win for one of his acts.
    basquille wrote: »
    I think the lads are great and all.. but The X Factor IS simply a singing competititon… didn’t you notice the winner gets a recording contract? It’s a bit pointless if you’re doing juggling or fire-breathing!

On the other hand, Britain’s Got Talent is a talent competition – the prize there was to perform your talent in front of the Queen.

I admit I’d like to see the lads win for the laugh.. but let’s not be naïve in saying The X Factor is not a singing competition (the absence of anything in auditions bar singers, albeit mostly poor, shows exactly this).

Well said, at least someone can admit this. Make no mistake, Simon Cowell wants someone to win who he can genuinely make into a singing superstar. While I do believe that Cowell is secretly delighted that Jedward are ensuring him huge ratings, they are the last act that he would want to win the show. In his supreme arrogance he saved Jedward last night (that's what he effectively did the moment he put it to deadlock) thinking they'd have no chance of winning the thing but he might as well get a few more weeks out of them. For this reason I hope Jedward win, just so I can see the look on his face when his underhanded tactics sensationally backfire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Simon Cowell wants Danyl to win

JP Liz wrote: »
    Simon Cowell wants Danyl to win

Or Olly. If not one of his acts, then he'd want Joe to win. He said as much over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Emmmooo

deise_girl wrote: »
    I've had Rock Dj in my head all day long :D
    In a way though I see where Simon was coming from neither of the acts should win andhe didn't really care who went and stayed so he didn't vote to get rid of Lucy nor to keep John and Edward, he just 'passed the question' to another. I think it's better he did this rather then choose someone just for the sake of it.
    Also Lucy fans are going mad at John and Edward :mad: You can't blame them for being in the competition, if it were the other way around we wouldn't be giving out about lucy staying(well maybe a little:pac:)

And I think Joe is fine. I'd say he is just that kinda person all smiley and happy. It kinda reminds me of me :)

Deise_girl do you not think Simon made a complete mockery of the competition by going back on everything he said over the last 5(or 7 inc bootcamp & judges houses)weeks this week to save the Twins after going on & on about how he despised them??? I mean even in his vote speech he said some of their performances have been horrific!!!How can u keep in an act like that over a girl who ok isnt the most flamboyant character ever in xfactor but she can more than hold a note and sings with a smile of her face.In fairness to lucie there was no whinging or blubbing like rachel n danyl although that might have been down to the fact that she never thought it would go to deadlock as both simon & cheryl had complained about the twins so much!!!

And as for passing it back to the public let them decide can someone please tell me what are the judges there for ??????????? Once this season they have made the decision n thats cos they had to! But effectively Simon has decided the last 2 wks cos he knew Lloyd and Jedward would survive once he sent it to deadlock!

19 hours later im still fuming!!! Hopin Simon has someone in bottom 2 next wk see if he likes sending it back to the public then !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Or Olly. If not one of his acts, then he'd want Joe to win. He said as much over the weekend.
    Who is Joe again, did he do Lion King? Thanks.

I still like Olly and the twins but the latter will never win.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Who is Joe again, did he do Lion King? Thanks.

I still like Olly and the twins but the latter will never win.

Yup Joe is the one who sang Circle of Life. Don't know why Cowell would like Joe to win, the guy is 100% cheese and no charisma. At this stage I'd like Olly or Jamie to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Yup Joe is the one who sang Circle of Life. Don't know why Cowell would like Joe to win, the guy is 100% cheese and no charisma. At this stage I'd like Olly or Jamie to win.
    He is nice and can sing in a musical kind of way but he is not a pop singer. I do not like the dumb act that Danni's remaining is doing...I accept that people can be ditzy, I know that I can be but it feels staged. My concerns for Jamie is that he is not great at balads and seems to be a one trick pony and can not warm to Simons other one...having said that I do accept that Olly seems to turn everything into the same thing too...argh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Only got around to watching the results this morning, crazy result really. How did Jamie and Lloyd sail through this week?Bizarre, awful to see the lads and Lucie in the bottom two, glad the lads went through but Lucie certainly didn't deserve to be there, nor did she deserve to be given the boot.

Very unpredictable. Kylie's sister is becoming annoying again, as she was last time around and it's obvious that whatever she is doing to the girls, the public isn't liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭woodzyx

Just out of interest, why does Simon get to call the shots on whether it goes to deadlock or not? :confused:

Isn't that option there for if the judges can't come to an agreement?

Surely it'd only be fair if the judges had to choose who they want to send home before they hear each other's decisions and then if it's 50/50 go to deadlock, so that they can't influence each other/Simon won't keep finding himself in that position of power..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Lucie gone!!:eek:
    Well done Simon you just lost 90% of the male public viewers!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

woodzyx wrote: »
    Just out of interest, why does Simon get to call the shots on whether it goes to deadlock or not? :confused:

Isn't that option there for if the judges can't come to an agreement?

Surely it'd only be fair if the judges had to choose who they want to send home before they hear each other's decisions and then if it's 50/50 go to deadlock, so that they can't influence each other/Simon won't keep finding himself in that position of power..?
    Because he is, essentially, the ringmaster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭woodzyx

Rb wrote: »

Basically what are the other 3 even doing there?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Emmmooo wrote: »
    Deise_girl do you not think Simon made a complete mockery of the competition by going back on everything he said over the last 5(or 7 inc bootcamp & judges houses)weeks this week to save the Twins after going on & on about how he despised them??? I mean even in his vote speech he said some of their performances have been horrific!!!How can u keep in an act like that over a girl who ok isnt the most flamboyant character ever in xfactor but she can more than hold a note and sings with a smile of her face.In fairness to lucie there was no whinging or blubbing like rachel n danyl although that might have been down to the fact that she never thought it would go to deadlock as both simon & cheryl had complained about the twins so much!!!

And as for passing it back to the public let them decide can someone please tell me what are the judges there for ??????????? Once this season they have made the decision n thats cos they had to! But effectively Simon has decided the last 2 wks cos he knew Lloyd and Jedward would survive once he sent it to deadlock!

19 hours later im still fuming!!! Hopin Simon has someone in bottom 2 next wk see if he likes sending it back to the public then !!!
    Well every sing off they say the verdict is solely based on this performance, doesn't matter how they sang before. Simon also wasnt surprised Lucie was in the bottom 2 because earlier he said "I predict one of the girls in the sing off", so he was in thought even at that stage. Yeh Lucie seemed fine, until she had that grin on her face that she was against John and Edward in the bottom 2. Seriously she was delighted with herself thought she'd sail it, all came crashing down when Simon said Deadlock. If anything irks me it's that! It's worse than actually saying an insult coz shes being cheeky with it, she knows everyones stareing at her and she still smiles away to herself.
    the judges are there to menteor and give constructive critism, they wont be the ones buying the cds after the X Factor. Theres no point in them keeping in acts they like if the public, who'd be buying the cds dont like them. If it were up to me it would go by public vote each week, I think it's fairer.
    And as much as I'm sure everyone likes to think Simon knows everything, I'd say he doesn't because isn't even Dermot finding them out for the first time when they're called out? I'd say it would be almost more awkward to sneak Simon the poll results, then to let him guess it!

Just my opinion though, Emmmooo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Rb wrote: »
    woodzyx wrote: »
    Basically what are the other 3 even doing there?

Every ringmaster needs a circus troop!
    Only this time - the badly behaved animals are in the audience this year! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Funniest result i've heard in a long time :D I thought they were goners and my whole house was jumping around the place when we heard! The show wouldn't be the same without them and to be honest i didn't really like Lucy. Great show :D

Next week is meant to be Queen week.
    John and Edward are rumoured to be singing
    Radio Gaga
    I am scared already!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

deise_girl wrote: »
    Next week is meant to be Queen week.
    John and Edward are rumoured to be singing
    Radio Gaga
    I am scared already!

Hmmmm, that sounds a bit disappointing.
    I think this week they may be showing off their vocal skills more so than previous weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I think this week they may be showing off their vocal skills more so than previous weeks.

Bahahahahahaaaa!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Thought you'd like that. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭msbrightside

i'm really scared for john and edward this week. they don't have the votes from ireland (which i'm pretty annoyed about but that's a whole other story) and the british public are going to hate them more than ever now because of what happened last night. i think next week is going to be their last. if they get into the bottom two again there is no way simon could save them. i will miss them so much and i can't believe it because at the auditions i hated them!but then in the live shows i loved them!
    i don't even understand how they were in the bottom two in the first place ghostbusters was their best performance since opps i did it again!if anything i thought the week they sang we will rock you would be the week they go. the show will be so boring without them, honestly jamie and llyod need to good they are not great singers either but nobody ever says anything about that!oh yeah btw jedward actually aren't that bad of singers!they have improved LOADS.

anywhoo on a different note louis sticking up his two fingers was hilarous!i couldn't believe it when he done it!haha i'm laughing now just thinking about it!at the time i was really upset as because i thought jedward were going to go but that cheered me up no end!!
    and john/edward(can't tell them apart yet,sorry!) not knowing what backlash meant was so funny as well!aw god i love 'em. and i think im the only one who doesn't think lucie was smug last night and i thought she was really gracious and nice towards jedward.lucie shouldn't have went either.
    o god i'm sorry this is a really long post sorry about that i guess i just have alot of opinions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,513 ✭✭✭✭walshb

According to Wikipedia, next week's theme is Queen. There's no source for it yet, so it might not be true. Hope not, hate Queen. And Jedward have already performed one of their biggest hits.

Hate Queen? Possibly the best live band in history with an absolute amazing array of diverse tracks. No!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well said, at least someone can admit this. Make no mistake, Simon Cowell wants someone to win who he can genuinely make into a singing superstar. While I do believe that Cowell is secretly delighted that Jedward are ensuring him huge ratings, they are the last act that he would want to win the show. In his supreme arrogance he saved Jedward last night (that's what he effectively did the moment he put it to deadlock) thinking they'd have no chance of winning the thing but he might as well get a few more weeks out of them. For this reason I hope Jedward win, just so I can see the look on his face when his underhanded tactics sensationally backfire.

It's not a singing competition. They make far more on advertising and the phone in votes than they will make on the record contract. It's secondary.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Aidric wrote: »
    Without question imo. I raised this very point last season. Cowell controls every facet of that production right down to who wins it. His record company provide the recording deal, he isn't going to award it to someone with no appeal.

They don't - the judges are not given the poll numbers until the very end, which he has said a number of times. The public control who win it - and the XFactor is highly regulated, probably more so that what it was last season after what happened with votes.to make it more like American Idol, where the judges have no input on who stays or goes on the live shows, only the public! I don't think Simon would chance doing anything dodgy. I think he just wants Shayne Ward and the guy who won it before him (don't know who) haven't exactly been huge successes, not like Leona. People in Britain are p*ssed off that Lucie was sent home, well it was their own fault! They were the ones that did not vote for her!
    Apparently that whole story about the twins topping the votes was rubbish!

I was thinking about the voting thing, the way that Danyl was supposed to be at the top of the list one week and the bottom the next. The public hear that x was top of the votes last week, and they go out and give a good performance the next week, so the public automatically assume that x is going to be safe based on those two facts, and then don't vote for the act. And x is in the bottom 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Nic'name

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not a singing competition. They make far more on advertising and the phone in votes than they will make on the record contract. It's secondary.

Plus how does anyone know that they wont be great in the studio....for their "record deal" has anyone ever heard Avril Lavigne sing live....she's atrocious!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvbhTWPqmFk

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The-Rigger wrote: »

The vocal coach was looking to get more time with them this week, they have nearly been solely working with Friedman (who apparently wants to get back as a judge??). I thought their deadlock performance was vocally not bad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I guess there is just some very bitter people out there!
    I suspect some people from Lucy's village rang to complain!
    TV watchdog set to investigate fix claims after Cowell's decision not to save Lucie Jones sees Jedward survive

Ofcom is considering whether to investigate accusations the X Factor is being 'fixed' after Simon Cowell's decision to take the voting to deadlock saw Welsh teenager Lucie Jones voted off in favour of twins John and Edward Grimes.
    Cowell, who has openly blasted John and Edward Grimes every week, had the chance to save talented singer Lucie, but he opted for the controversial decision to go to 'deadlock' and have the outcome decided by the public vote.
    Ofcom confirmed today it has received scores of complaints with more than 50 viewers complaining in less than 24 hours to the independent TV watchdog following Sunday night's show.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1226172/X-Factor-fans-blast-fixed-Cowell-decision-save-talented-Lucie-Jones-sees-Jedward-survive.html#ixzz0WOevKzSC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

walshb wrote: »
    Hate Queen? Possibly the best live band in history with an absolute amazing array of diverse tracks. No!
    I hate Queen also. One of the more overrated bands ever.

Anyway, I've only been into the X Factor for a week, having never watched it beyond auditions before this. Jedward make it interesting and the resulting drama between the judges makes great television.

Reading through this thread, anyone who thinks being able to sing well has anything to do with the pop music industry is seriously deluded. Jedward could easily make a huge amount of money with a record deal IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

article-1226172-0723820A000005DC-725_224x597.jpg

She reminds me of someone from Thunderbirds :D

• Advertisement

I was thinking about the voting thing, the way that Danyl was supposed to be at the top of the list one week and the bottom the next. The public hear that x was top of the votes last week, and they go out and give a good performance the next week, so the public automatically assume that x is going to be safe based on those two facts, and then don't vote for the act. And x is in the bottom 2![/quote]
    I heard Lloyd and Jamie had the most votes this week :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement