Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If Jedward arent Millionaires by the end of next year at the very latest then there is something wrong with their brains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

Cant believe lucy got voted out, shes an absolute ride :-(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

i'm really scared for john and edward this week. they don't have the votes from ireland (which i'm pretty annoyed about but that's a whole other story) and the british public are going to hate them more than ever now because of what happened last night. i think next week is going to be their last. if they get into the bottom two again there is no way simon could save them. i will miss them so much and i can't believe it because at the auditions i hated them!but then in the live shows i loved them!
    i don't even understand how they were in the bottom two in the first place ghostbusters was their best performance since opps i did it again!if anything i thought the week they sang we will rock you would be the week they go. the show will be so boring without them, honestly jamie and llyod need to good they are not great singers either but nobody ever says anything about that!oh yeah btw jedward actually aren't that bad of singers!they have improved LOADS.

anywhoo on a different note louis sticking up his two fingers was hilarous!i couldn't believe it when he done it!haha i'm laughing now just thinking about it!at the time i was really upset as because i thought jedward were going to go but that cheered me up no end!!
    and john/edward(can't tell them apart yet,sorry!) not knowing what backlash meant was so funny as well!aw god i love 'em. and i think im the only one who doesn't think lucie was smug last night and i thought she was really gracious and nice towards jedward.lucie shouldn't have went either.
    o god i'm sorry this is a really long post sorry about that i guess i just have alot of opinions!!
    That was Edward :)
    In fairness they were seriously dazed after it, I was almost worried they looked in such shock! They were 'out of it' more then usual,they looked so innocent! :)

Your post has really scared me now! So much for "brightside" :P I didn't see their audition(seen it on youtube now) but I loved them in bootcamp, then it was because I thought they were funny, cheeky gits but then they got so much crap from the press... I just liked them for being themselves and not whinging about it :)
    My favourite performance was probably Rock Dj, the first week, I'd say it was one of their worst vocals ever but I loved the whole idea of a big performance.:D I really thought it was cool! But I love all their performances imo not many others come close.. Joe had a few near, Danyl one or two, loved Lucies second song and some of Ollies
    So yeh im after rambling completely off the point! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I really don't get why people are complaining into Ofcom (or complaining in general) that Lucie got voted off.
    She got the least amount of votes from the public and it's fair that she should go.
    I never got this singing for survival thing anyways. The judges are there to give their opinions and it's the public that should decide at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I think themed weeks that are based on a particular artist are absolute disasters and make no sense. The contestants shouldn't have to sing a genre that they're completely uncomfortable with, they're not there to prove how versatile they are, they're there to prove that they can be a good artist in whatever their genre is.

Also, if you don't like the artist who the theme is based on, it makes it a bit unenjoyable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The vocal coach was looking to get more time with them this week, they have nearly been solely working with Friedman (who apparently wants to get back as a judge??). I thought their deadlock performance was vocally not bad!

He's an awful sap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

jape wrote: »
    Cant believe lucy got voted out, shes an absolute ride :-(
    Nows your chance to be her knight in shining armour, if you don't act now, she may never be yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The-Rigger wrote: »
    He's an awful sap.
    Slimy, attention-whoring, two faced gobshite sums him up for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I really don't get why people are complaining into Ofcom (or complaining in general) that Lucie got voted off.
    She got the least amount of votes from the public and it's fair that she should go.

Nothing funnier. I have seen all over the web arguments like this:

The public woz robbed, it was all fixed, the whole thing is a fix because Simon went to the Public Vote!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not a singing competition. They make far more on advertising and the phone in votes than they will make on the record contract. It's secondary.

JLS, Alexandra Burke and Leona Lewis beg to differ. This show has proven that it is a platform for stardom if you have what it takes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Biggins wrote: »
    I guess there is just some very bitter people out there!
    I suspect some people from Lucy's village rang to complain!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1226172/X-Factor-fans-blast-fixed-Cowell-decision-save-talented-Lucie-Jones-sees-Jedward-survive.html#ixzz0WOevKzSC

Well I'd love to see them investigate it because when they come back and declare that, yes, Jedward really did get more votes, then those small town villagers can go cram it up their holes.

Ridiculous carry on. I'm really starting to hate all of these whingy, aggrieved little people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think themed weeks that are based on a particular artist are absolute disasters and make no sense. The contestants shouldn't have to sing a genre that they're completely uncomfortable with, they're not there to prove how versatile they are, they're there to prove that they can be a good artist in whatever their genre is.
    Thank you! :D I've been saying that since last year! It's pointless. Who'd expect Guns n' Roses to sing pop songs for example? :confused:

LadyJ wrote: »
    Ridiculous carry on. I'm really starting to hate all of these whingy, aggrieved little people.

You're taking this a little bit too close to heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I just watched both Jedward performances again and I can't stop laughing at how utterly fabulous the whole thing is. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    JLS, Alexandra Burke and Leona Lewis beg to differ. This show has proven that it is a platform for stardom if you have what it takes.

Perfect example why Lucie fans shouldn't hate Jedward. JLS didn't win last year but are doing as well as Alex

And Laura White is in th Uk top 40 with her new song.

deise_girl wrote: »
    Perfect example why Lucie fans shouldn't hate Jedward. JLS didn't win last year but are doing as well as Alex

And Laura White is in th Uk yop 40 with her new song.

I'm afraid to say though that it's a case of being too far between. JLS even surprised me with their success and as for Laura, I think she just about scraped into the Top 20 no? Since they led with that song for her I imagine her management thought that was her strongest song so I'm afraid to say it's only down from here.

Lucie, like Laura, is the kind of act that needs the most influential people behind her. The kind of people who can bid and get the top songs for their artist. Someone like Simon Cowell. Lucie is the kind of act that really needed to win this contest in order to have a decent chance of making it in the business.

People who contact Ofcom because they confuse disliking something enough with cheating are deserving of ridicule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I'm really not. I just find it all so crazy. People who can't just accept that someone got voted off and feel the need to actually complain and whinge about it until there's an investigation are the ones taking this to heart. Get over it tbh.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    People who contact Ofcom because they confuse disliking something enough with cheating are deserving of ridicule.

At the very least Simon Cowell is guilty of tactical voting, not to mention undermining the entire concept of his show. Two weeks in a row now he feels the public deserve the final say. Really? What's the point of having a bottom two so? What's the point of giving judges an opportunity to have the final say when he thinks that the public deserve the final say? A few weeks ago Simon Cowell was entirely indignant and patronising towards the public for daring not to vote for Danyl Johnson. He showed contempt for the final say of the public on that night. Yet last night, and last week, he shows an incredible amount of respect towards the audience. The man quite simply is a walking contradiction.

I'm not saying that these people are right in complaining to Ofcom, but I can certainly understand the frustration behind their actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

You seem to have taken something that Ronnie Whelan said on TV a month or so ago to heart, sonny. Each to their own.

• Advertisement

asdasd wrote: »
    You seem to have taken something that Ronnie Whelan said on TV a month or so ago to heart, sonny. Each to their own.

Ronnie Whelan is a constant pain in the hole my friend, my signature just sums up how much of a chancer he is. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

I don't get how anyone can be stupid enough to believe that the whole thing isn't completely controlled by Simon Cowell. As if he didn't have a say in putting Jedward through at boot camp. The man is a genius, he knows what gets viewing figures, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's decided who has won already. Effectively the other judges have no say...

Aldito wrote: »
    I don't get how anyone can be stupid enough to believe that the whole thing isn't completely controlled by Simon Cowell. As if he didn't have a say in putting Jedward through at boot camp. The man is a genius, he knows what gets viewing figures, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's decided who has won already. Effectively the other judges have no say...

I'd say he even picks the final 12 himself too.

At the very least Simon Cowell is guilty of tactical voting

Guilty is a poor word choice.
    Of course it's tactical, the tactic was to get keep the most entertaining, (and in this case - viewer grabbing & revenue generating) act in the competition.
    If you think it's 'tactical' in the sense that it was 'so that one of his acts has a better chance to win' then you're getting far too drawn into the panto.
    not to mention undermining the entire concept of his show.

The concept of the show is to make money, not the one presented to the viewers, that said - it didn't undermine either.
    Two weeks in a row now he feels the public deserve the final say. Really? What's the point of having a bottom two so?

There isn't much point, they are just tweaking the format to keep people interested. In the same vein - just like how they made the auditions live. It wasn't a good move imo, just a change.
    What's the point of giving judges an opportunity to have the final say when he thinks that the public deserve the final say?

How come you weren't here saying this on the other weeks that it went to the public's vote? Probably because you didn't disagree with the outcome strongly like you may this week. It certainly the reason others are up in arms.

A few weeks ago Simon Cowell was entirely indignant and patronising towards the public for daring not to vote for Danyl Johnson. He showed contempt for the final say of the public on that night. Yet last night, and last week, he shows an incredible amount of respect towards the audience. The man quite simply is a walking contradiction.

No offense intended, but I just lol so much when I read this type of thing.
    It's the equivalent of someone being outraged at Vince McMahon's actions on WWE.

Did you believe for the last 6 weeks that Simon actually couldn't stand Edward and John and then just took a liking to them last week?

It's panto.

Oh yes it is!
    I'm not saying that these people are right in complaining to Ofcom, but I can certainly understand the frustration behind their actions.

TBH, they are imbeciles. I wonder how they dress themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

What I dislike about Simon is he said he would leave the country if they win.
    Yet he had a chance to get rid and he didn't.

He can spot a cash cow a mile off and I'd put money on it that he ends up signing them up.

I think he spotted early on in the competition that they would be the Marmite of the show.

You either love them or hate them, either way you will be talking about them.

He is all about the money and he is so long in the business that he knows exactly what to say and when to say it.

And he did exactly that on Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

to be fair, she DID get less votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

zuroph wrote: »
    to be fair, she DID get less votes.

She did and I am not disputing that at all zuroph.

But he called them appalling out of tune and pointed out that they couldn't sing all through the competition.

Yet when he gets a chance to back up his previous opinion he lets the public decide.

I guess my gripe is a better singer was sent home over a panto act that can't sing or keep their moves in time with each other.

If Lucy was one of Simon's acts up there you can be sure the twins were gone.

And he would have said something along the lines of:

"Listen, from the start of the competition I've said you shouldn't be here".

"You got further than I gave you credit for, but it is time to go home as you are up again a talented singer which is what the competition is all about".

"So taking that into consideration, "I save Lucy".

Just my opinion on Simon.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

From the Mirror 3am site:
    Thousands complain about X Factor controversy - but Simon's, like, soooo not bothered, apparently

* Posted by: 3am
    * 10/11/09
    * 12:01 am

Remember last year when everyone got terribly upset about Laura White getting booted off X Factor? Only rings a vague bell, doesn't it? Well, hopefully all this Lucie/Simon/Jedward controversy will blow over just as quickly - as it's all turned seriously nasty and nastily serious.

It's been revealed that more than 3000 viewers have complained to ITV about Simon essentially booting off Lucie Jones after taking things to scary old Deadlock on Sunday's results show. Many believe that it was "a fix" (um, can we point out that she came bottom in the phone vote?) and that Simon's a hypocrite after slagging off Jedward week after week (we acknowledge that there's a bit of truth in that).

"I was furious," says Lucie's own gran Jean (no doubt from her home in that small village in Wales they all like to go on about). "I said all along if it came down to Lucie and anyone else he would get rid of her because he is afraid of her. He is afraid of her voice. He said all along he wanted a male singer to win this year. He is protecting his own acts. I’m going to vote for the twins every week and I hope everyone else does too. That will teach him a lesson."

Ooh, a feisty gran. We like those. Weirdly, Lucie herself is much more measured about all this - but then, her exit has had way more attention than it would have done if she'd lost out to someone less controversial, so she's probably feeling a bit smug (tough love reminder: you lost the phone vote). "I thanked Simon for the opportunity of being in the competition," she said in a press conference yesterday. "It is always going to be about exciting the viewers from the word go. It is a TV show as well as a talent competition and it is a very popular TV show."

Er, what an insight. Naturally, ITV themselves are pretty chilled too: "Reflecting the huge popularity of a show watched by almost 17 million viewers, The X Factor result can divide opinion and provoke comment from our viewers." Nice mention of viewing figures there - they might as well have added "SO NER, STRICTLY!" on the end.

Simon is, of course, still standing by his decision. "I know there will be lots of people who will criticise the decision to let it go to Deadlock, but I honestly could not have predicted the way public voting had gone," he insisted last night, probably while laughing in the manner of an evil cartoon villain. "I never get told the voting figures. I don't think either of the bottom two acts could have won. But the twins are good entertainment even if they can't sing and there would be criticism either way. I really couldn't make up my mind and that is why I left it to the public."

Somewhat contradicting this, Simon's friends (some friends!) say he's actually worried that he's damaged his own reputation by sitting on the fence and not ruthlessly getting rid of the twins as viewers might have expected him to - and there's even talk that, during the commercial break, he tried to persuade Cheryl to back Jedward, so that he could have saved face by keeping Lucie.

"It seems that Simon may have tried to get Cheryl to vote for the twins so he could save Lucie and then it could have gone to deadlock without him - or the show - losing any credibility," says someone in the know, but we're getting a bit confused now. "But Cheryl knows her own mind and didn't want to take the fall for him. She thought Lucie deserved to stay so she voted with her feet. Obviously, Louis and Dannii would save their own acts so he knew Cheryl was his only hope. But she just wouldn't save the twins, however much he pleaded."

It sounds like this will all rumble on until... well, until Jedward get booted off fair and square, we'd imagine. But we wonder if all those fans who are now threatening to boycott the show actually mean it. After all this hoo-ha, we're pretty sure we'll be even more glued to the X Factor than we were already... which is exactly what Simon wanted.

http://www.3am.co.uk/x-factor-thousands-complain-simon-cowell-jedward-lucie-jones-controversy-/19491/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I like how they still managed to slip a Cheryl compliment into that article...

Cheers for the link. It's a good read, and pretty on the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

sharp, in times like this, you have to ask yourself; WWRD? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement