Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

"Cheryl knows her own mind"

That's the funniest part of it all - she can't even spell 'mind' :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

phasers wrote: »
    I like how they still managed to slip a Cheryl compliment into that article...

Cheers for the link. It's a good read, and pretty on the money.

Aye and I stuck a comment on it too! :mad:

Here is Olly on "Deal or No Deal" by the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

The-Rigger wrote: »
    It's the equivalent of someone being outraged at Vince McMahon's actions on WWE.

Are you trying to tell me wrestling is not real? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

zuroph wrote: »
    to be fair, she DID get less votes.
    And that's the whole point of the sing off! To fight for a second chance where it's due

Lucy shouldn't have gone, and neither should Rachel last week

He put it do deadlock cos he knew most likely Lucy and Rachel would go, as youngins would vote for cute Lloyd and "entertaining" Jedward

Also, I just wanna say, everyone thinks they're supportin them, but they're laughin at them. They entered the contest as genuine singers, and still tried to prove themselves as that. So the public are takin the piss outta them

And there appeal is about how they are live, so a record deal is useless for them, and its an utter waste if they rob it from an actual artist

As was said, THIS IS A SINGING COMPETITION

I'd love if Simons 2 acts end up in the bottom! Or one of them Vs Jedward, and Danni has the final say. She'll have Simon by the balls, but I know she'd do the right thing, she's the only genuine and professional judge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Guilty is a poor word choice.
    Of course it's tactical, the tactic was to get keep the most entertaining, (and in this case - viewer grabbing & revenue generating) act in the competition.

That was certainly one aspect of wy it was tactical.
    If you think it's 'tactical' in the sense that it was 'so that one of his acts has a better chance to win' then you're getting far too drawn into the panto.

Yes I do think it was tactical in the sense that Simon wants a male winner this year, just so doesn't have another female act on his hands i.e. Alexandra and Leona. I don't know how anyone has watched this show this year and not realised just how much Simon Cowell is pushing Danyl Johnson on the audience.

It's not panto, he has the hopes and dreams of a number of individuals in the palm of his hands. There was a young girl up on that stage on Sunday night in tears while Simon Cowell, with a smug grin on his face as he usually does when the final vote comes to him, procrastinated on his decision all in the name of "drama".
    The concept of the show is to make money, not the one presented to the viewers, that said - it didn't undermine either.

Again that's just one aspect of the show and you dodged my question to be honest. I'll ask you again; what's the point of having a bottom two?
    There isn't much point, they are just tweaking the format to keep people interested. In the same vein - just like how they made the auditions live. It wasn't a good move imo, just a change.

People aren't interested though, they are getting pissed off, that's evident from the thousands of complaints. I guarantee that you won't see a deadlocked decision next Sunday.
    How come you weren't here saying this on the other weeks that it went to the public's vote? Probably because you didn't disagree with the outcome strongly like you may this week. It certainly the reason others are up in arms.

I've always hated going to deadlock actually, it defeats the whole purpose of the bottom two, regardless of who I support.
    No offense intended, but I just lol so much when I read this type of thing.
    It's the equivalent of someone being outraged at Vince McMahon's actions on WWE.

Really? Here's me thinking that the likes of Lucie Jones, Rachel Adedeji and Jedward are real people. There's no script for these people to read from. You seem to have a distinct lack of concern for these people, even for Jedward.
    Did you believe for the last 6 weeks that Simon actually couldn't stand Edward and John and then just took a liking to them last week?

It's panto.

No, I always believed that Simon was secretly delighted that Jedward were in the show.
    TBH, they are imbeciles. I wonder how they dress themselves.

Yup, how dare they be pissed off that the dreams and aspirations of a young girl were so callously crushed. That being said, this is the same public who didn't vote for her. All the same, the whole point of the bottom two is that the judges save who they believe to be the better singer. Simon Cowell cannot say he did that (in spite of saying before the performances that he'd base his decision on the performances alone).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I really hope Jedward are not in the bottom 2 next week as i fear they will go

At the end of the day Lucie did get the least amount of votes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

unreggd wrote: »

And there appeal is about how they are live, so a record deal is useless for them, and its an utter waste if they rob it from an actual artist

It might not be useless to them, it would keep them in the spotlight and fine tune them to their own niche. tbh I don't think any contestant this year could be classed as an actual artist. I can't see any of them having a successful music career. Jedward however I can see being on television presenting or being part of an entertainment show.

They're not robbing anything either, the public are keeping them in and might award them the big prize. Yes Simon is looking at the money that will roll in but isn't that what the whole show is about? Do people not think he saw the money potential in having an artist like Leona Lewis? I don't get why it's such a shock to people that Simon wants an act that will be hugely successful. This year has taken a turn because I don't believe any of the singers are good enough to have a good music career, so he now backs Jedward because they have good earning potential. He's a successful businessman, not an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Podginho

To an extent i can see why jedward were kept in but not getting rid of lloyd annoyed me. How he has even made it this far is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tuborg

Did anyone see Louis on the xtra factor on sunday when the callers were ringing in and asking questions? Simon didnt look too impressed with Louis, I'd say he got a spanking after the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

I'd love if Simons 2 acts end up in the bottom! Or one of them Vs Jedward, and Danni has the final say. She'll have Simon by the balls, but I know she'd do the right thing, she's the only genuine and professional judge

She is the least professional judge actually. The snide remarks about jedward after lucie got voted out were disgraceful. They are only kids for gods sake and they did nothing other than try and entertain people. The fact of the matter is that Danni PUT THEM THROUGH their first audition and had positive comments every weak for them until they knocked out one of her acts. Then she starts acting like a complete c*nt. She's a joke.
    LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Yup, how dare they be pissed off that the dreams and aspirations of a young girl were so callously crushed.

You do realise that over half the worlds population are living in abject poverty? And here you are getting outraged (and all the other morons) over some girl that is now not going to become famous and make a load of cash. Try and get some perspective. Nevermind the fact that she is as generic, boring and bland as it gets. Who the hell would tune into watch lucie? The reason the reason the xfactor is so popular this year is because of jedward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

tuborg wrote: »
    Did anyone see Louis on the xtra factor on sunday when the callers were ringing in and asking questions? Simon didnt look too impressed with Louis, I'd say he got a spanking after the show
    That was hilarious, I love that Louis doesn't care what the public think of him

I'm glad he had a word with Dermot the night before though because Dermot is ALWAYS slagging him! It's childish and stupid.

bSlick wrote: »
    You do realise that over half the worlds population are living in abject poverty?

Totally irrelevant to this show and ridiculous reasoning tbh, one person's plight will always be made look trivial by someone else's plight. I suppose you feel guilty for all the issues you have right because they are nothing compared to the issues of others?
    And here you are getting outraged (and all the other morons) over some girl that is now not going to become famous and make a load of cash.

Well done, you've truly joined the ranks of Jedward fans on here now, getting all hot and bothered to the point where you throw personal abuse and be condescending.

It's not so much about what happened to Lucie but more about what this show is supposed to be, a singing competition. If it's not a singing competition you might as well call it Britain's Got Talent V.2.
    Try and get some perspective. Nevermind the fact that she is as generic, boring and bland as it gets. Who the hell would tune into watch lucie?

That's your opinion, for those of us who see this show as a singing competition she was one of the main contenders.
    The reason the reason the xfactor is so popular this year is because of jedward

Yup, Simon Cowell can be proud that he's setting these two kids up for the highest fall imaginable. He's basically ensured that these two kids are hate figures in the UK but that's okay in the name of entertainment right? The ironic thing is that I'm showing more genuine concern for the well being of these young lads than any of their so called "fans".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

people here saying simon is guilty of tactical voting;so is every judge who has voted for their own act. The bottom two isn't for a second chance, its so they can control the show. Simon has "crushed a poor girls" dreams every week. Thats what the show does. The fact remains she was disliked enough to get the least votes, so was expendable. Personally i thought her attempt to be like stacey in d post song interview was pathetic. Good singer, but not a great singer. Keeping her in another week or two would be only prolonging the agony for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

That's your opinion, for those of us who see this show as a singing competition she was one of the main contenders.
    That's your opinion. The facts however are that she got less votes than jedward. Or even lloyd! How unpopular do you have to be to do that?! Not a contender, despite your opinion

zuroph wrote: »
    people here saying simon is guilty of tactical voting;so is every judge who has voted for their own act. The bottom two isn't for a second chance, its so they can control the show. Simon has "crushed a poor girls" dreams every week. Thats what the show does. The fact remains she was disliked enough to get the least votes, so was expendable. Personally i thought her attempt to be like stacey in d post song interview was pathetic. Good singer, but not a great singer. Keeping her in another week or two would be only prolonging the agony for her.

It's tactical voting when the judges who have no vested interest (i.e their acts aren't in the bottom two) make questionable decisions.

Re: she couldn't win the show, who knows what could have happened. I believe Ruth Lorenzo last year was in the bottom two twice, in the very first show and then in week 5. However she still managed to get one week or so away from the final.

Personally I think the reason Lucie was in the bottom two was because Dannii gave her a song that no-one has ever heard of. It's coincidence they way she shows no sign of being in the bottom two for four weeks, yet the week Dannii gives her a weak song she's in the bottom two. Had she been saved last Sunday, she could have been given a great song choice next week and she could have survived. That's what the bottom two should be about; giving the better singer one more roll of the dice at the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Danni should blame herself Lucie is gone she choose the song for her - it was a song from Camp Rock (i guess Danni was hoping Lucie would get the votes from the young audience (i.e. Disney viewers) and it backfired they voted for Lloyd and Joe i guess :D)

BTW Joe wears way to much makeup

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

I conclude that this farcical show contributes very little of quality to the pop scene.Indeed it's a lot of hype, so called glamour and artificiality.The materialistic Cowell and Walsh who possess no obvious artistic talent,have manipulated and cynically exploited public taste and gullibility.Men not to be trusted.And let's get real and question the all too ready use of such expressions as:Amazing,Fantastic,Blown away...We've been conned! But I will track the careers of the contestants,Fair play to Them, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Louis Walsh on Gerry Ryan right now. Jedward probably singing Radio Gaga next week. He said he was really pissed off with the audience on Sunday, that there was a small group that kept calling the twins w*nkers, tossers, etc and he just got really angry and gave them the fingers. He said Jedward's family were in the audience and it must be hard for them to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,513 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ronnie Whelan is a constant pain in the hole my friend, my signature just sums up how much of a chancer he is. ;)

And with that ****ing skanky forced scouser accent, it only makes me detest the chap even more

• Registered Users Posts: 55,513 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Louis Walsh on Gerry Ryan right now. Jedward probably singing Radio Gaga next week. He said he was really pissed off with the audience on Sunday, that there was a small group that kept calling the twins w*nkers, tossers, etc and he just got really angry and gave them the fingers. He said Jedward's family were in the audience and it must be hard for them to hear that.

Louis showed his true gurrier colours the other night. Some folks just can't hide it.
    Once a bit rattled, the gurrier comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

As was said, THIS IS A SINGING COMPETITION
    Just because it's repeated several times, and in this case, written in caps, doesn't make it true.

It's a popularity contest. How is that not obvious to people?
    what's the point of having a bottom two?
    It increases the show's running time, I thought that would have been obvious also.
    Here's me thinking that the likes of Lucie Jones, Rachel Adedeji and Jedward are real people. There's no script for these people to read from.
    Breaking into the music industry has always been something which requires a huge amount of luck and generally required taking a lot of knocks along the way. X factor makes this a lot more public, and perhaps more stressful as a result, but come on, they signed themselves up for this, surely they were aware of what they were getting themselves into. They are both contestants in a talent show and pawns in an entertainment show. There are other means of getting a record deal, and as has been said before, any artist with real musical aspirations as opposed to wanting to be a popstar wouldn't even consider entering something like X factor.

They're not undeserving of sympathy, but it's hardly a huge injustice or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

walshb wrote: »
    Louis showed his true gurrier colours the other night. Some folks just can't hide it.
    Once a bit rattled, the gurrier comes out.

The audience were continually throwing verbal abuse at his act throughout the show. He's only human. It may be unprofessional but I'm sure a lot of people would have done the same. F*ck them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

We all know this is a singing competition.

Then why do they go thru a farce of auditions where jugglers and non singing acts perform?

People are failing to see the point here. Simon Cowell will get rich no matter who wins, because ultimatley the winner is signed to his record company.

So, in the meantime his goal is to get as many viewing figures as possible. I doubt he even cares if his acts get through, other than him getting a slight dent in his ego.

He has clearly wanted Jedward there from the start, otherwise they'd be long gone. So, he tells Louis to put them through at boot camp, and saves them on the show.

I watch the X Factor, I think it's an entertaining and pretty funny show, but people who take it seriously and think that it's actually a fair competition, and the judges are all in it to win rather than to work for Simon Cowell are very naive.

Bond-007 wrote: »

Then why do they go thru a farce of auditions where jugglers and non singing acts perform?

They don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Aldito wrote: »
    People are failing to see the point here. Simon Cowell will get rich no matter who wins, because ultimatley the winner is signed to his record company.

Of course it matters who wins, a platinum selling artist is worth millions more than a one hit wonder!
    Aldito wrote: »
    So, in the meantime his goal is to get as many viewing figures as possible. I doubt he even cares if his acts get through, other than him getting a slight dent in his ego.

He has clearly wanted Jedward there from the start, otherwise they'd be long gone. So, he tells Louis to put them through at boot camp, and saves them on the show.

I watch the X Factor, I think it's an entertaining and pretty funny show, but people who take it seriously and think that it's actually a fair competition, and the judges are all in it to win rather than to work for Simon Cowell are very naive.

People do take it way too seriously alright, the XFactor bosses and Simon are probably loving all the controversy though, XFactor is consistently in the papers and magazines, the more hype and disagreement over things the better for them. It's all very entertaining, and the public are playing into their hands.

Bond-007 wrote: »

Ain't that Britain's Got Talent chief? Anyway I would suggest that the auditions are the "entertainment phase" of the X Factor. That's why so many people say "Oh I turn off after the auditions because it's shit from here on in." In fact I'd say they are the people who are watching the live finals and giving Cowell his huge ratings this year, thanks to John & Edward. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

tuborg wrote: »

LOL!!!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ain't that Britain's Got Talent chief? Anyway I would suggest that the auditions are the "entertainment phase" of the X Factor. That's why so many people say "Oh I turn off after the auditions because it's shit from here on in." In fact I'd say they are the people who are watching the live finals and giving Cowell his huge ratings this year, thanks to John & Edward. :pac:
    I must be completely confused.

There are so many reality shows now on ITV1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

People just need to get over Lucie getting sent home. I mean it's nobody's fault but the public. They didn't vote for her! It's their fault she was in the bottom 2 and their fault that they didn't bother voting. Get over yourselves. All this indignant outrage is just stupid and complaining to the regulator about it, she got the fewest votes - it was not a fix.

Simon did the right thing by putting it to the public vote. John and Edward are great entertainers and he saw that and also the public love them. Lucie is just bland, boring and doesn't have a great singing voice (I still shudder at her singing Sweet Child of Mine, it was one almighty screeching mess). John and Edward on the other hand aren't great singers but they put on a good show. Plus, everybody knows that you don't necessarily need an amazing voice to do well in the pop industry ... I'm sure you all can think of many pop artists who sound awful when live as opposed to their recording voices.

At the end of the day, yes it is a singing competition but people have to LIKE the act for them to be successful. Lucie was pretty bland but John & Edward are so entertaining. You may be able to sing but if the public ain't fans of yours then you'll get nowhere (e.g. Leon Jackson and the guy who won the first series of X Factor).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement